PDA

View Full Version : Cage Tease

mike-2ptzero
12-31-2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.centralvalleyspeed.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10093/rear-02.jpg

Rhinop21
12-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Wow. [up]

prodrive
12-31-2008, 03:45 PM
looks good man which seats are those ?

ghost6303
12-31-2008, 03:45 PM
is that supposed to be something like a pole tease?

mike-2ptzero
12-31-2008, 03:50 PM
looks good man which seats are those ?

Cobra Suzuka's. I have had them since 2001.

prodrive
12-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Uppps ,I missed it ,I guess
Kevlar FTW [up]

SoFresh
12-31-2008, 03:57 PM
about damn time!!! cage is lookin sexy :)

you going to shave out some of that dead weight that lips upwards to mount the rear seats?

mike-2ptzero
12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
about damn time!!! cage is lookin sexy :)

you going to shave out some of that dead weight that lips upwards to mount the rear seats?

Rear seats haven't been in my car in a long time, even if I do put them back in I dont see any way someone could sit back there. At some point I might make a cover to seal off the trunk from the driver area, but really only need to do that if I decide to put in a fuel cell in the trunk.

A few more pics.
http://www.centralvalleyspeed.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10093/back~0.jpg

http://www.centralvalleyspeed.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10093/front.jpg

Another angle of the back half from the trunk.
http://www.centralvalleyspeed.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10093/rear-01.jpg

SoFresh
12-31-2008, 04:06 PM
No, I know youve had the seats out for a long time, I was referring to the metal on the floor that lips upwards to make a flush mount for if you were to have the seats in there. Since youre never going to install the seats, why not cut out that metal? as in... remove it and make the floor smooth, save some weight at the same time... maybe im not explaining it very well, if I had ms paint on here id draw an arrow to what im talking about

solowb5
12-31-2008, 04:11 PM
Cromoly?

mike-2ptzero
12-31-2008, 04:14 PM
No, I know youve had the seats out for a long time, I was referring to the metal on the floor that lips upwards to make a flush mount for if you were to have the seats in there. Since youre never going to install the seats, why not cut out that metal? as in... remove it and make the floor smooth, save some weight at the same time... maybe im not explaining it very well, if I had ms paint on here id draw an arrow to what im talking about

That I might do, but haven't really thought about any of that at this point. I might just leave that there so I can put a flat sheet in place of the stock bottom seat so that it covers the tub area you are talking about.

The shop told me that I should think about taking the car to a wire shop and have them remove most of the stock wiring in the car since I no longer use it and seeing that I dont think this will ever go back to stock it might be something I might end up doing, I already removed most of the stock harness in the engine bay.

djwimbo
12-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Look at the weld on that X-bar(lower left).

I want a damn welder!!!!!!!

http://www.centralvalleyspeed.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10093/rear-01.jpg

mike-2ptzero
12-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Cromoly?

No, just DOM.

quattro16
12-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Nice shit Mike!!!!!!! I love how you always say "If I bring it back to stock". Don't bullshit yourself like me its never going back to stock!!![:D] Also did you ever hear anything about freezing up that stick on sound insulation pad all over the trunk and floor. I heard you could lose some serious weight.

pipe7284
12-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Lovely, you can fit many strippers so they can dance on those poles while you go down the track!!!!

B5A4Kevin
12-31-2008, 05:44 PM
looks like some quality notching and welds. good job mike. MIG-ing it correct?

zerb
12-31-2008, 05:45 PM
I pulled that sound deadning shit out of my gti, just the spot that housed the spare tire, and the bag had a bit of weight to it....not a metric shit-ton...but enough.

Freezing it works, but takes a while. Now a good old map gas torch and a metal scraper...that makes quick work out of it. Just don't sit there and breathe it in, lol.

Naudi_Mat
12-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Wow!

Very nice Mike. [up]

oneohone
12-31-2008, 06:36 PM
Nice cage! [up]

geeky
12-31-2008, 06:39 PM
awesome. but now i have a sudden urge to go play on a monkey gym for the first time in 8+ years haha [headbang]

lowandslow4now
12-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Nice now you dont have to worry about getting kicked off the track for being to fast. Now maybe we can can get an A4 in the 9's ;)

bassed
12-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Nice Mike, glad you finally got it in! Way to bring in 2009 properly;)

mike-2ptzero
12-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Nice shit Mike!!!!!!! I love how you always say "If I bring it back to stock". Don't bullshit yourself like me its never going back to stock!!![:D] Also did you ever hear anything about freezing up that stick on sound insulation pad all over the trunk and floor. I heard you could lose some serious weight.

Yes, I just haven't done it yet. You use dry ice.

fred2ka4
12-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Looks good Mike. And it does not look like it will come out very easily to go back to stock being that it's fully welded to the car. How's the new turbo setup coming along? I know it's a purpose built track car, but cleaning up the wiring would make it look nicer.

Keep up the good work ......... [up] [:D]

mike-2ptzero
12-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Looks good Mike. And it does not look like it will come out very easily to go back to stock being that it's fully welded to the car. How's the new turbo setup coming along? I know it's a purpose built track car, but cleaning up the wiring would make it look nicer.

Keep up the good work ......... [up] [:D]

1 step at a time. Won't be dealing with the turbo setup till after I get the car back from getting the cage done.

awd2ks4
12-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Any way i could get you to devulge some measurements for the main hoop? ill be making a cage pretty soon and once the main hoop is done is gets easy from there.[:D]

JumboBlack1.8
01-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Nice cage! Bout time......now go run in the 9s....I know you can do it [:D][hail]

mike-2ptzero
01-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Was able to do some work on the car and a few more pics of the changes to the cage.

Brand new windshield went in when the cage was put in.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=801&pictureid=2703

New plate that the shop put in with the cage, so I mounted my switches on it.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=801&pictureid=2702

Shop added a 2nd door bar in the correct spot. Still need to put the carpet back in.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=801&pictureid=2711

Drag Racing window net
http://www.audizine.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=801&pictureid=2704

Still need to make a few changes before I paint the cage.

JaVa
01-11-2009, 01:07 PM
very very nice!

arorem
01-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Damn son

Naudi_Mat
01-11-2009, 01:12 PM
[o_o]
CF doors too?

mike-2ptzero
01-11-2009, 01:30 PM
[o_o]
CF doors too?

I have had those since late 2007.

4inchMAF
01-11-2009, 01:35 PM
where did you get the doors done at? thats amazing!!! CF hood and trunk too? and sun roof filler?

Don Supreme
01-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Mike, you need to 10 sec s4 those wires and be done with it. I think he took out 50 lbs of wires before he went too far.

Beemer832
01-11-2009, 01:44 PM
i love the car, but hate to see it "chopped" up and race prepped. I guess you really couldn't have done it any other way.........

-josh

mike-2ptzero
01-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Mike, you need to 10 sec s4 those wires and be done with it. I think he took out 50 lbs of wires before he went too far. I plan on doing that at some point, just wiring up what needs to be wired and pulling out the rest. Just have to find the time to do that.

i love the car, but hate to see it "chopped" up and race prepped. I guess you really couldn't have done it any other way.........

-josh

Well from the outside you really cant even tell it has a cage in it.

Maki
01-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Looks amazing! To bad I won't be seeing it for real.

B5Burn
01-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Looks awesome. Congrats on the progress.. Hopefully it (rollbar) is never used :)

zerb
01-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Mike, you need to 10 sec s4 those wires and be done with it. I think he took out 50 lbs of wires before he went too far.

i second that, idk what 10 sec s4-ing is...but im assuming he means take out whats not needed and just wire in what you need, cause theres a solid amount of weight in there for sure.

i know this cause im currently doing it with my project, i actually scooped up one of those Painless chasis harnesses and im just ripping everything out and putting one of those in.

EuRoSp1c
01-11-2009, 03:47 PM
the tease was a sucess.. definately teased me... looks gooodd..

mike-2ptzero
01-11-2009, 04:53 PM
i second that, idk what 10 sec s4-ing is...but im assuming he means take out whats not needed and just wire in what you need, cause theres a solid amount of weight in there for sure.

i know this cause im currently doing it with my project, i actually scooped up one of those Painless chasis harnesses and im just ripping everything out and putting one of those in.

Yes, but since I cant fully gut the car there is going to be a big amount of wires I cant remove. I have to follow set rules for the class I run in at drag events. http://www.battleoftheimports.com/downloads/streettuner.pdf

AudiA4_20T
01-11-2009, 05:17 PM
you gonna beat 10.5? lol

mike-2ptzero
01-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Who are you asking Clint? If you are asking me, I sure hope so seeing that I ran 10.5 running up hill and with a damaged turbo.

DJSticky
01-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I mostly lurk here but I must say Mike, the car is looking beastly!

The cage install looks solid and man... Those CF doors are baller even though they aren't new ;)

A4Rob
01-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Looks great! Looks like you could go bowling in the woods and come out alive.

Euro-Tuner
01-11-2009, 06:55 PM
so whats with the passenger seat?

mike-2ptzero
01-11-2009, 06:59 PM
so whats with the passenger seat?

What about it? Is there something wrong with it or do you just mean why do I have one in there and if so I have one in there because the rules for my class states that the car must have 2 matching front seats.

Euro-Tuner
01-11-2009, 07:04 PM
thats all, just seemed like extra weight but I didnt know the rules of your class

mike-2ptzero
01-11-2009, 07:10 PM
thats all, just seemed like extra weight but I didnt know the rules of your class

Well the 1 seat is about 20 lbs if that. Yeah I race in a "street" heads up class. If I start running in quick 8 I might be able to pull out that seat and the carpet.

A4Rob
01-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I love reading all the noob comments in this thread like they have never seen Mikes car before. haha, but I guess it has been a while since you have posted pics.

t1demont1
01-11-2009, 08:32 PM
its about time you got a cage in her.

Kyle H
01-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Who are you asking Clint? If you are asking me, I sure hope so seeing that I ran 10.5 running up hill and with a damaged turbo.

uphill, both ways, in a blizzard? [>_<]

cage looks sweet, lets see some 9 second runs this year!

Wizard-of-OD
01-11-2009, 09:26 PM
You know what I would love to see Mike?
drag slicks on all 4 corners :D

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2009, 06:58 AM
You know what I would love to see Mike?
drag slicks on all 4 corners :D

Actually I do want to get a set of 16's and throw a set of 26" hoosiers. Problem is that no one has done it before so I am not exactly sure what offset wheel I will need to use to make sure it fits.

dougyfresh
01-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Looks really cool. What color are you going to paint the tubing? Matching exterior or black?

bikerbob951
01-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Excellent job, it looks beautiful. There is something so unbelievably sexy about a full-bore race car, the less interior the better [:D]

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Looks really cool. What color are you going to paint the tubing? Matching exterior or black?

Haven't decided yet. Might do 2 different colors with the front bars black so they dont stand out so much when I am racing or just do all of it in black. I still need to buy some pads, just not sure which type of pads I want to go with.

Normal padding
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/kir-99001_w.jpg

SFI padding
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/kir-99011_w.jpg

maxspeed
01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
No, just DOM.

2,5-dimethoxy-4-methylamphetamine?

[o_o][:D][o_o][=(][o_o][:D]

LowSantorin
01-12-2009, 12:39 PM
SFI! FTW

Pete@IE
01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
the normal stuff feels better when you whack your head on it in day to day use, the SFI stuff i'm sure is more effective if you really needed it like if you wrecked and somehow contacted your head on the cage. Also, the normal stuff is easier to keep in place and it follows the contours of the cage more easily, the SFI stuff is really tough.

I've tested both types thoroughly over the years of getting in / out of race cars LOL

JeffM1587
01-12-2009, 03:06 PM
where do you get that padding?

NyteEscape
01-12-2009, 04:19 PM
i was gonna ask the difference between the two types of padding, but it seems like pete just answered my question.

does weight or anything matter? or are you going solely based on comfort when u hit ur head?

4A Play
01-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Wow, that is a roll of nickels weld!

Pm sent about the steering wheel.

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2009, 05:37 PM
the normal stuff feels better when you whack your head on it in day to day use, the SFI stuff i'm sure is more effective if you really needed it like if you wrecked and somehow contacted your head on the cage. Also, the normal stuff is easier to keep in place and it follows the contours of the cage more easily, the SFI stuff is really tough.

I've tested both types thoroughly over the years of getting in / out of race cars LOL

well the main issue is that I am very limited on space where I will need to put the pads and most of those spots will be on the straight tubes near my helmet and the door bar. For the door bar I cant put a pad that wraps all the way around it since the door panel already sits right up against the door bar. I also want to make sure I go with a pad that is not too thick other wise its going to block even more of my view thru the windshield if I put a pad on that top bar.

where do you get that padding?

Been checking around, not sure where I will get it at yet but might just get it from Pegasus if I go with the SFI stuff. I need to check with the NHRA to see what padding I need for running faster then 10.00.

beAu4
01-12-2009, 08:11 PM
i had a DD 240sx that looked like that. kinda missing it. maybe my Audi next:]

onemoremile
01-12-2009, 10:52 PM
There are a lot of good race supply companies out there. Just pick up an issue of Grassroots Motorsport magazine and check the ads. I like Pegasus and SafeRacer.

mike-2ptzero
01-13-2009, 07:03 AM
There are a lot of good race supply companies out there. Just pick up an issue of Grassroots Motorsport magazine and check the ads. I like Pegasus and SafeRacer.

Well all of them are on the web, so I have been price checking all of them. I also need to buy a helmet hook, so I want to buy that at the same time as the padding.

soupie69uk
01-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Very nice cage.

Have you changed drag class? As I may be wrong but I think you maybe mentioned in the past that the class you were in did not allow cages.

Will be interesting to see how much stiffer the car feels as probably flex's a fair bit off the line.

I like how the cage still has the text stamp on it. Makes it look so raw.

mike-2ptzero
01-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Very nice cage.

Have you changed drag class? As I may be wrong but I think you maybe mentioned in the past that the class you were in did not allow cages.

Will be interesting to see how much stiffer the car feels as probably flex's a fair bit off the line.

I like how the cage still has the text stamp on it. Makes it look so raw.

A cage is allowed in all classes if the car needs it. Most of the cars running in the street tuner class at the BOTI event at Fontana (http://www.battleoftheimports.com/dragrace/results/1008fontana/streettuner.php) were running 10-12's with 2 of them in the 9's. At the IDRC event all the cars in the class were running 10's.

Pete@IE
01-13-2009, 07:27 PM
I would consider the non SFI padding, you can easily cut it to not be full wrap, and it is offset as well and thinner in the back. I would use it for over the door. I have whacked my head on the SFI stuff plenty of times and it basically feels like there is no pad.

Also, try to mount your window net in a fashion where you aren't going to kill yourself on that either. Those suck too. A lot of them have a big buckle that hangs down from the bar, depending on if your specific rulebook requires the window net to drop down when open. Most do.

mike-2ptzero
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
I would consider the non SFI padding, you can easily cut it to not be full wrap, and it is offset as well and thinner in the back. I would use it for over the door. I have whacked my head on the SFI stuff plenty of times and it basically feels like there is no pad.

Also, try to mount your window net in a fashion where you aren't going to kill yourself on that either. Those suck too. A lot of them have a big buckle that hangs down from the bar, depending on if your specific rulebook requires the window net to drop down when open. Most do.

Window net is already mounted and is out as far as it will go, picture of that was posted a while back. http://www.audizine.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=801&pictureid=2704

Buckle does not get in the way of me getting in or out since the clip is welded up on the outside of the top bar. It is mounted so that I just unbuckle one side and it swings down and back out of the way. Need to change it a little though so that it swings more toward the door instead of toward the seat like it does now.

onemoremile
01-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Well all of them are on the web, so I have been price checking all of them. I also need to buy a helmet hook, so I want to buy that at the same time as the padding.

Helmet hook? If you're talking about a place to stash the helmet then a helmet net is usually more convenient.

mike-2ptzero
01-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Helmet hook? If you're talking about a place to stash the helmet then a helmet net is usually more convenient.

Just a place to hang my helmet till I am ready to put it on just before making a run.