Wednesday,31,December,2008,00:35:13:18724
VCDS Version: Release 805.1

Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 4B0 UNI 018 BT
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/415 G 0001
Software Coding: 16201
Work Shop Code: WSC 12338
1 Faults Found:

16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
P0011 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Readiness: 0000 0000

From Ross Tech on WIKI:
16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
Possible Symptoms
Power Loss
Possible Causes
Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty
Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205)
Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
Special Notes
When found in Engine: 4.0l W8
Check TPL 2010059(RoW)
Check/Replace Oil Sieve in Timing Case (Camshaft Adjuster)

I don't know where to start HELP PLS!

eurotecknik
12-31-2008, 07:44 AM
No one has experience with this?????? Come on, I used search nothing shows on the topic. ANYONE???:"???

eurotecknik
12-31-2008, 08:57 AM
bump it up

Lazer Viking
12-31-2008, 09:58 AM
calm down

looks to me like your cam position sensor took a shit

the code p0011 is not in my book
p0010 however is "-a- camshaft pos. actuator circ. bank 1 malfunction"

do you have any symptoms ?

Jibberific
12-31-2008, 10:06 AM
You went full retard

eurotecknik
12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
calm down

looks to me like your cam position sensor took a shit

the code p0011 is not in my book
p0010 however is "-a- camshaft pos. actuator circ. bank 1 malfunction"

do you have any symptoms ?

Nah. Drives the same to me. No check engine light. I don't know

eurotecknik
01-01-2009, 12:23 AM
So if I replace the sensor, how hard is it to get to? open up the cover for the tb and than what? Pic anyone? Is it on towards the top or bottom?

ghost6303
01-01-2009, 01:34 AM
You went full retard

you never go full retard.

but seriously, if you want schematics that will show you exactly where every nut and bolt goes, check out vagcat.com

yes you have to register, but its basicly a free online version of ETKA. did i mention its free?

B5A4Kevin
01-01-2009, 07:02 AM
heres a link: same fault, cam tensioner replaced (http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215732). really good diy write-up.

have you recently had your timing belt replaced, if so, it may be a tooth off. one tooth wont make it "A splode" but it does set faults for cam positioning.

the cam positioning sensor is to the right of the cam pully, attached to the head and block by 2 10mm bolts. it has a 3 pin black connector. take off the upper timing belt cover, and remove the 2 bolts. look at the sensor to make sure the 13mm bolt is still tight, and the sensor ring and pickup are not damaged. also, while you are in there, inspect your timing belt for any damage if it has not yet been replaced. if all is good, you will need to check your camshaft tensioner assembly next. this is located under the valve cover. get to tdc as indicated on the cam gear. check the marks on the crank pulley at this time as well. make sure both line up, otherwise your timing is off. remove valve cover (have a spare gasket ready) and look at the markings on the tensioner assembly. the 2 arrows need to line up with the 2 squares, and 16 rollers between the two.

eurotecknik
01-01-2009, 07:44 AM
heres a link: same fault, cam tensioner replaced (http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215732). really good diy write-up.

have you recently had your timing belt replaced, if so, it may be a tooth off. one tooth wont make it "A splode" but it does set faults for cam positioning.

the cam positioning sensor is to the right of the cam pully, attached to the head and block by 2 10mm bolts. it has a 3 pin black connector. take off the upper timing belt cover, and remove the 2 bolts. look at the sensor to make sure the 13mm bolt is still tight, and the sensor ring and pickup are not damaged. also, while you are in there, inspect your timing belt for any damage if it has not yet been replaced. if all is good, you will need to check your camshaft tensioner assembly next. this is located under the valve cover. get to tdc as indicated on the cam gear. check the marks on the crank pulley at this time as well. make sure both line up, otherwise your timing is off. remove valve cover (have a spare gasket ready) and look at the markings on the tensioner assembly. the 2 arrows need to line up with the 2 squares, and 16 rollers between the two.

Thanks Kevin. I should have mentioned that tb was replaced 9K ago by an audi shop.

eurotecknik
01-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Should the battery be disconnected first? Removing the sensor will not throw the car in service mode will it? Sorry I haven't done tb that's why I dont know. I know about turbo since I did that myself[wrench]

aarononymous
01-01-2009, 08:52 AM
THe fault doesn't have anything to do with your timing belt, that would be a different fault for cam/crank position allocation, you have a problem with the cam tensioner at the back of the cylinder head under the valve cover. You either have insufficient oil pressure to the tensioner or the tensioner itself is bad.

eurotecknik
01-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Is it safe to drive it, till I get it fixed? I have noticed that 1-2 months ago the you could hear very low-pitched rattling anytime the car war running nothing major. I thought that is normal after BT. I believe it is the cam chain tensioner now
BTW the cam position sensor seems ok.

B5A4Kevin
01-01-2009, 10:45 AM
THe fault doesn't have anything to do with your timing belt, that would be a different fault for cam/crank position allocation, you have a problem with the cam tensioner at the back of the cylinder head under the valve cover. You either have insufficient oil pressure to the tensioner or the tensioner itself is bad.

that is why i included the link for the tensioner diy r&r. yes it is a different fault if your engine is slightly out of time, but it will still cause a cam position fault. i just stated the part about the timing belt and sensor inspection to eliminate them as possible causes, as it takes less effort to remove the front cover rather than removing the valve cover and inspecting the tensioner.

as aarononymous states, it can very well be caused by insufficient oil pressure to the tensioner, as 1.8t's are notorious for sludged oil pickup screens, which will burn up a motor. if you do replace the tensioner, be sure to inspect your camshaft bearing caps for any signs of excessive wear or pitting. this is a sign of the engine overheating due to insufficient oil supply caused by sludge. if your oil pressure light comes on, and you have bearing damage, and your vehicle falls into the specified criteria (8years, unlimited mileage, maintenance receipts), AoA will replace your complete engine and turbocharger under warranty. if there is no bearing damage they will do a chemical desludge service and replace your oil pickup tube/screen.

edit: overlooked the part about being bt. so this means in your case AoA wont replace your engine and turbo, but then again, im sure you dont wanna go back to k03 anyway. it is safe to drive for the most part, but i would consider doing a desludge service in the near future. this may alleviate the valvetrain/lifter noise as well as possibly fixing your tensioner issue.