PDA

View Full Version : tranny issues?

A4edwin
12-09-2008, 05:18 PM
what kind of tranny problem does the c5 a6 4.2 tranny have?

blacka4
12-10-2008, 04:48 AM
manual or tiptronic? I'm going to assume tiptronic. I am not sure what you mean by problems. Every transmission is bound to have problems. what kind of problems are you looking for

A4edwin
12-11-2008, 05:42 AM
It's a tip I've heard 4.2 are great motors but it the tranny that sucks is it one common problem or is it the tranny in general.

blacka4
12-11-2008, 11:04 AM
its all in how you drive it. I have 117K+ on my stock transmission in my A4. as long as you don't abuse it you will be fine. If you start moding the engine for more HP and TQ you will begin to shorten the life of the transmission and thus causing complete failure. I plan on keeping my A4 for awhile and might do a stage 3 sometime on my tip and in that case I will have to upgrade the transmission to be able to handle the extra tq also I'll be doing a engine overhaul for a refresh of the internals to get another 100K out of the engine.

TheMadDutchman
01-02-2009, 10:58 PM
I have seen the internal seal between the transmission and front final drive unit fail. Transmission fluid would leak into the front final drive unit overfilling it and eventually leak out the breather and make a mess. When and if that happens it's recommended to recondition the complete transmission since almost everything has to come apart for the repair. Figure about $2,500 to $4,000 to recondition that transmission.

Scotty@Advanced
01-09-2009, 10:55 AM
manual or tiptronic?

All C5 4.2 US spec car are automatic, all C5 4.2s in the world were automatic from 2002 onward.

The engine is awesome, and the trans is pretty good. Many of the earlier transmissions 00-02 had a seal in the torque converter and a drum in the trans that was a weak point. All rebuilt and mid 02 and up 4.2 tips have the upgraded parts installed and their rate of failure much less.

Are the transmissions crappy, no not in my book.

I have seen the internal seal between the transmission and front final drive unit fail. Transmission fluid would leak into the front final drive unit overfilling it and eventually leak out the breather and make a mess. When and if that happens it's recommended to recondition the complete transmission since almost everything has to come apart for the repair. Figure about $2,500 to $4,000 to recondition that transmission.

You'd think Audi would have eliminated this seal and just lube the ring and pinions with ATF. This has been a common failure for just about all Audi and VW automatics.