PDA

View Full Version : Wheel won't come off

01Audi1.8T
12-07-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm trying to put my winter wheels on but I can't get the others off. I've got all 5 lug nuts off but when I grab the wheel and pull, nothing. I've hit the back side with a hammer and tried tapping on the axle nut with the hammer to break it loose. Has anyone had this happen that can help? I've never come across this problem on any car I've ever owned.

ZacharyWS
12-07-2008, 09:08 AM
happens all the time. next time coat your hubs with anti-seize.

I recommend putting 3 lug nuts back on loose and dropping it off the jack. if that fails drive it 20 feet or so with them loose and it should separate from the hub.

TverRus69
12-07-2008, 09:08 AM
pb blast the area. just don't get it on the brakes.

TverRus69
12-07-2008, 09:13 AM
i would honestly not drive on a loosely screwed on wheel... that'll fuk up the bolts, wheels, and the hub...

offroader1006
12-07-2008, 09:17 AM
donkey kick that bitch

01Audi1.8T
12-07-2008, 09:20 AM
donkey kick that bitch

Gave that a try too but nothing. I've got some PB blaster soaking right now. I hope that works. I'll try dropping the jack next and see what happens.

zrowcool
12-07-2008, 09:44 AM
keep hitting it all around and the vibration will eventually break it loose. put anti-seize on the hub lip so it doesnt happen again

D's Avant
12-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Gave that a try too but nothing. I've got some PB blaster soaking right now. I hope that works. I'll try dropping the jack next and see what happens.

PB blaster should work and try to hit it with a rubber malet from the back side of the rim. Be careful, duh...

jlien08
12-07-2008, 10:00 AM
release your e-brake[>_<]

Just kidding. I had this happen once too, it's a bitch. I let mine sit overnight, soaked in WD40.

offroader1006
12-07-2008, 10:31 AM
i really just donley kick them.

it takes a bit of practice to get it right.

never had one i couldnt get off.

that or a 32 oz ball pein to the inside sidewall

arorem
12-07-2008, 10:47 AM
wd-40 or pb, then hit the crap out of them on the back side with hammer.

If all else fails, try c-4, that should also work..... j/k

01Audi1.8T
12-07-2008, 11:05 AM
No such luck with the PB blaster either. I might need a damn come along to get them off. What a horrible design. Audi could have made the center bore on the wheel a hundredth bigger.

bob12312357
12-07-2008, 11:09 AM
When was the last time u changed brakes or ur tires? God damn bro. Must a been a while. You try lowering the car quick off the jack?

01Audi1.8T
12-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Brakes were done back in May. I haven't had the wheels off since then. Try the lowering off the jack and nothing. I don't get it.

TverRus69
12-07-2008, 12:22 PM
would it work if you screwed one of the lugs back on tight? that would skew the wheel and hopefully break the rust/whatever is holding it on. if that doesnt work - drop kick it. It might not help but at least you'll show the car who is boss.

andyrew
12-07-2008, 12:36 PM
unscrew the lug nuts 1 full turn, go around the block slowly, No good still? Try going up curbs relatively quick, this should provide the shock needed.

O2VW1.8T
12-07-2008, 12:38 PM
i usally have this problem at work. My goodness some of them dont want to come off... We have lifts so i get under the car and kick the crap on the back side of the wheel... I need to buy a huge plastic deadblow hammer next time.

urS6Plus
12-07-2008, 12:42 PM
what I did is use a plastic hammer that is used for hardwood nailers (im in flooring). they are soft enough not to hurt the rim, but heavy and firm enough to deliver a good blow. they are like ~$30 at home depot. and come in handy for many other things tooo

biketsai
12-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Why not remove all of the bolts, and slowly let the car down so the wheel moves like an inch or less. Stop and lift it back up

agart
12-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Whats worked for me is kicking on opposite sides of the wheel repeatedly. Do a few kicks going left side to ride side. Then do the same put top to bottom. And by kick I mean put all your weight into it.

Beemer832
12-07-2008, 01:38 PM
just had this happen to a friends B6... he got on one side of the wheel, me on the other. he would pull on one side, i'd then pull on the other. the repetitive pressure from each side finally broke the corrosion enough where it was wobbling. then a few kicks and it was off.

when the wheels do come off, clean the hubs up with a stiff wire brush and then antiseize it. shouldn't happen often if you keep those hubs clean

good luck
-josh

AudiSport12
12-07-2008, 01:40 PM
I've used a heavy rubber hammer/mallet and a 2x4

only use very little anti-sieze but enough to make it work. you dont want it slinging around and getting on the rotors when its hot.

pipe7284
12-07-2008, 03:04 PM
kick it on both sides, alternating, and kick it like a MAN!!!!!!

B5A4Kevin
12-07-2008, 05:43 PM
TRY HITTING IT WITH YOUR PURSE!!!!! hehe. j/k thats my fav joke at work when some1 cant get a wheel off. Pretty much, just as everyone else said, get a deadblow sledge and hit the back of the wheel. what works best for me is to spin the wheel as you hit it. if you cant spin then go side to side or all around. just make sure its a dead blow, and that you are hitting the back side of the wheel. some people say hit the tire, but ive seen people cause bubbles in the sidewall for this (using ball-peen). and a deadblow isnt going to damage a wheel or at least not much. my buddy at work has a 5 or 6 pound rubber sledge with a 4 foot handle. he calls it thor. ive never needed to use it, but im sure it works. he used to work in ohio, and he said even the worst wheels he's seen only took 1 swing from thor to come off.

offroader1006
12-07-2008, 10:07 PM
my buddy at work has a 5 or 6 pound rubber sledge with a 4 foot handle. he calls it thor. ive never needed to use it, but im sure it works. he used to work in ohio, and he said even the worst wheels he's seen only took 1 swing from thor to come off.

i need that

gsverz
12-08-2008, 10:12 AM
grab a 2 by 4...

TverRus69
12-08-2008, 10:59 AM
u get it off yet? be careful with the 2 X 4. If you have the ground as your support, you might tip the jack over... watched a guy at autozone (one of those "freelance mechanics" do it to somebody's car).

stubbs
12-08-2008, 11:10 AM
I had the same thing doing a brake job a while back. One came off with a good kick, but the other refused until I put all 5 lugs back in, but not quite tight, then drove a few feet and tapped the brakes at 5 mph. That was enough to break it loose.

BADB5A4
12-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Yup, agree with all advice here. Dont know if heating it up might help. Rubber mallet side to side or top to bottom should do it.

I used a Dremel tool to grind the rust off the hub and put anti-seize on there. Be sure to clean the rim itself too, where it meets the hub.

01Audi1.8T
12-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Well, I went over to the in-laws this evening and we got them off. My father-in-law has a giant rubber mallet (heavier than my sissy claw hammer) that we used and they came off. He's got an air tool with a wire brush so we cleaned up my hubs and put anti-seize on them. I shouldn't have any problems but we'll see for sure when spring rolls around.

Kemnik
01-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Well, I went over to the in-laws this evening and we got them off. My father-in-law has a giant rubber mallet (heavier than my sissy claw hammer) that we used and they came off. He's got an air tool with a wire brush so we cleaned up my hubs and put anti-seize on them. I shouldn't have any problems but we'll see for sure when spring rolls around.

I just had the SAME thing happen on my 2009 S5. And I'm in California, so no rust. Was so frustrating. I tried the mallet, donkey kick, etc. I gave up and ended up only being able to do my front brakes. Back will have to wait I guess. So lame. And So frustrating!! Also couldn't get the rotor off on the front so didn't change the rotors. Tried heat, air hammer, etc. WTF!!?

Turbo_B5
01-02-2016, 05:46 PM
I just had the SAME thing happen on my 2009 S5. And I'm in California, so no rust. Was so frustrating. I tried the mallet, donkey kick, etc. I gave up and ended up only being able to do my front brakes. Back will have to wait I guess. So lame. And So frustrating!! Also couldn't get the rotor off on the front so didn't change the rotors. Tried heat, air hammer, etc. WTF!!?

put the lugs in, back them off a turn, drive around the block. Or hit it with some wood like a battering ram.

also this is not how you use forums. You bumped a post from back in 2008. a full year before your car was born.

adam044
01-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Grave digging much?