PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic - I need help!!!

fanuvbrak
10-21-2004, 03:38 PM
I took my car to the dealer today because the transmission felt wierd when in auto. it seemed like it never wanted to settle on a gear and unless i was flooring it, it would shift through all the gears to 5th even if i was going 25 mph.

the dealer tells me some BS story about how he needed to re-set the trans code because the computer reported a lowel level battery and it reset a bunch of codes. WTF?

so i pick it up (after my $99 "scheduled maintenance - which was essentially an oil and filter change...$35 for an oil filter? sheeeit!) and it runs WORSE than it did before.

it feels like it's shifting, but going back to the same gear, instead of the next. Like: 1.....2.....2.....3.....3.....3.....3.....4.5....

did that make sense?

anyway, who has a tip and have you experienced bizarre shifting with it? the dealer says it will "learn". will it? how long should i teach it before i realize it's retarded?

skene
10-21-2004, 03:39 PM
multi function switch might be going bad

fanuvbrak
10-21-2004, 03:42 PM
okay. good. the multi-function switch.

what the hell is that? shouldn't the AUTHORIZED DEALER MECHANIC known that?

you're in philly, right? i work in conshy...maybe you could come by some day and check it out. you know a lot more about these cars than i do.

skene
10-21-2004, 03:45 PM
maybe.. only days i can do anything are on Friday and Sunday

im busy working the 5 other days.

pearl1.8T
10-21-2004, 03:49 PM
im not too sure, but when my multifunction switch was busted, it wouldn't shift at all...not even in tiptronic...it stayed in first the entire time til i reset the ecu...then all the lights on the dash lit up, and tip mode didn't work at all, but auto switched gears...then i jsut drove it to the dealership like that

skene
10-21-2004, 07:45 PM
yeah but thats busted.... not when its going bad.

Rieger_RS4
10-21-2004, 08:01 PM
how much is one of those to replace?

Silvant
10-21-2004, 08:03 PM
"Tiptronic - I need help!!!"

ya, you do.....

skene
10-21-2004, 08:05 PM
dont know... i think the part is like $80

fanuvbrak
10-22-2004, 07:00 AM
update - well the dealer wasn't completely full of sh*t. the trans did "learn". i noticed a pretty big difference on my hour ride home last night. it's still not great...i guess that's because it's an automatic.

i have heard tha once i get chipped (i'm getting both boost and tip chips - GIAC) that the additional torque will hold gears longer in auto. is this true?

eion
10-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by fanuvbrak
i have heard tha once i get chipped (i'm getting both boost and tip chips - GIAC) that the additional torque will hold gears longer in auto. is this true?
I can't say I've noticed this (with an Autothority 1.0 bar chip and the GIAC tip chip), but I hardly ever drive my car in auto mode, before or after chipping.

littlewhite
10-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by fanuvbrak
update - well the dealer wasn't completely full of sh*t. the trans did "learn". i noticed a pretty big difference on my hour ride home last night. it's still not great...i guess that's because it's an automatic.

tip chip shifts faster (only in tip) and is better and holds down the additional power more. Hold gear longer you can use a VAG or have someone to set code 00012 sport code or 00032 sport code + 1st gear in tip redline

IndieRockSteve
10-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by blackknight
tip chip shifts faster (only in tip) and is better and holds down the additional power more. Hold gear longer you can use a VAG or have someone to set code 00012 sport code or 00032 sport code + 1st gear in tip redline

what do those codes do exactly?