PDA

View Full Version : 100mph in a 55mph speeding ticket on GSP!

93hrdtptt
12-03-2008, 03:39 PM
[headbang]

Well, I didn't know how long it was going to take before I received in a ticket after getting this car until it happened last night. I was driving home from class about 10:30 at night and got onto the parkway right by Garden State Plaza. There was extremely light traffic as I was driving on the ramp to get on, looked in the rear view and my surroundings and decided to get on it a little bit, before anybody flames me for getting a ticket, I am a pretty capable driver and I know when to mess around and not too...So, I drive about a mile or two driving about ~115mph steady in my lane, when I remember that a cop usually sits off the clifton exit 154 I think. I slow down way before he could get me and all of a sudden in my rear view it looked as if the car behind me was about the smash into my bumper, throws his lights on and I pull over to the side...I'm thinking Where the heellllllll did this guy come from...

I pull over, hazards, car off, hands steering wheel..lol...all the necessary things so you don't get yelled at. The cop comes up to my window and asks me what the hell was I thinking.."license, registration, insurance" So I pull out all my things, he throws my PBA card back in the car without even looking at it and doesnt even bother looking at or taking my insurance card.

He says I'll be right back, while I'm in the car I was thinking to myself how badly he could probley screw me right now...wreckless, improper lane change, and of course...speeding...Well, he comes back to the car and says I paced you all the way back from when you got onto that exit and you were doing well over 100mph and changing lanes, the cop clocked you at 102mph
( which I believe is bolognese because theres no way I was even close to him as I began to slow down) .

He hands me the ticket, and he says I gave you 100 mph in a 55..No court appearance required, with visible, dry, clear roads with no traffic. I said have a nice night and he said drive safe!

So.....I have 2 points from a ticket last June that will be expiring next week. I will have a clean record come then, I am 22 years old...Pay for my own car, insurance, ect. Only thing on my driving record are minor non moving violations and 1 speeding ticket.

My question is, 45 over the limit....5 points...$250 fine...What do you think in your opinion I should do, or what can happen, what do you think the worst and best case outcome of this is?

The court date is on Dec. 17 and it's in Saddle Brook, NJ. The ticket was given by a NJ State Trooper, he honestly didn't seem like a bad guy, I guess he had to give me something, sucks it came to this though.

A friend of mine works as a court administrator and suggested I mail in a postponement for court, come in after it has been postponed, plead not guilty, then move to trial, and supposedly he said I could drag this on for about a year, and he also claims that State Troopers are notorious for not showing up to their court dates, so basically I'm gambling on the fact that he will not show up and hopefully receive a dismissal.

Anyways, thanks for listening, and I would appreciate any feedback on that matter at hand. Again, I'm aware this was a stupid move on my part, just want to know if anybody has had a similar situation or any assistance that could be given.

Thanks guys,

Tom

dougyfresh
12-03-2008, 03:49 PM
He says I'll be right back, while I'm in the car I was thinking to myself how badly he could probley screw me right now...wreckless, improper lane change, and of course...speeding...Well, he comes back to the car and says I paced you all the way back from when you got onto that exit and you were doing well over 100mph and changing lanes, the cop clocked you at 102mph
( which I believe is bolognese because theres no way I was even close to him as I began to slow down) .

If you claim the road was empty then where was he?

5points? <-- WOW [o_o].

I think you're f'd either way. At least that is how I look at tickets of this magnitude.

HOFFY11
12-03-2008, 03:59 PM
knowing good old new jersey, you may be able to pay enough money to get the ticket lowered..NJ just looks for money, anywhere...you could probably get away with murder here as long as you have enough money to pay the state..=/

Das General
12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I got a 101 in a 55. I also got a 96 in a 55 a year earlier. You are fudged.

dougyfresh
12-03-2008, 04:16 PM
/\
I have been there in that state too.

Getting caught At speeds that excessive is not good. You can not really talk your way out of it in court.

93hrdtptt
12-03-2008, 04:32 PM
If you claim the road was empty then where was he?

5points? <-- WOW [o_o].

I think you're f'd either way. At least that is how I look at tickets of this magnitude.

There was extremely light traffic, a handfull of cars were behind me, I assumed a checked all around....Guess that's what happens when you assume...ehhh

Joeski
12-03-2008, 04:32 PM
nj now has a mandatory 250 dollar add on to any tickets that are lowerd but honestly for a ticket of that magnitude id expect to pay well over 500 and ull prob still walk away with 2 points

93hrdtptt
12-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I got a 101 in a 55. I also got a 96 in a 55 a year earlier. You are fudged.

What ended up happening with both your tickets? How was your driving record priar?

The speeding ticket I got last year was a crock...I was doing 54 in a 40...This is basically my first big one...[rolleyes]

93hrdtptt
12-03-2008, 04:35 PM
I guess if I can get it postponed long enough, I'll just make sure to save enough, pay my 500 and walk away with 2 points...My main concern is the license, gotta love the government...We should institute an autobahn over here...only allow the DSM's to drive on lol

streetsoffire
12-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Interesting.......No mention of reckless driving on the ticket?

GetBoosted84
12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Don't bank on the officer not showing to court. They get overtime for that. I wish your friend was right about them not showing but sadly he/she is not.

93hrdtptt
12-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Interesting.......No mention of reckless driving on the ticket?

Nope, I thought I was going to get one...that's why he appeared to be a pretty decent guy..

I know over here if you double the speed limit, your in a whole new catagory of screwed..double the fines, ect. So, looking at that and the fact he gave me "only" 100mph...I feel there is still a chance to fight it, not without ridiculous costs of course

Figure they allow you to drop the 5 points down to 3, lets say even 2...So its 250 + 250 for each point taken off...

So now you have 2 points and a $750 dollar bill at the end of the day. F'ing retarded and quite an expensive thrilling 100mph drive...pffttt

Atleast, its a one time shot of that and insurance won't sky rocket...I hope

93hrdtptt
12-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Don't bank on the officer not showing to court. They get overtime for that. I wish your friend was right about them not showing but sadly he/she is not.

Would you then suggest try postponing for awhile...get the funds together and just attempt some sort of plea to knock the most of what they can down...

A friend of mine knocked down his 2nd suspended license ticket (long story)to a combination of less severe tickets, he paid his dues, but in the end didn't go to jail...

Has anybody ever gotten that kind of bargain before?

I wish there were more things to find on the internet than just some book explaining how to get out of 100% of your speeding tickets...ehh

DownhillA4
12-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately I don't have any advice on this topic to help you out, but hope everything works out as best as possible for you Tom.

Das General
12-03-2008, 04:55 PM
What ended up happening with both your tickets? How was your driving record priar?

The speeding ticket I got last year was a crock...I was doing 54 in a 40...This is basically my first big one...[rolleyes]

Both of mine were in Massachusetts. I sent for a court date on both tickets. The first ticket was "lost in the mail" according to the Court. Thus resulting in a suspended license. The second time, my court date was sent to my old address (my mistake), thus resulting in a suspended license.

Each ticket was about 700 dollars and ended up costing another 300 per ticket to reinstate my license.

GetBoosted84
12-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Blinder M25 X-Treme Laser Jammer anyone?

http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=5618

Won't help if they pace you but will help if they hit you with lidar or laser.

joeycuccaro
12-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Tom wtf!!!

njm23
12-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Honestly man, at 45mph over in Jersey, you'll be lucky to have a license when it's said and done. And BTW the whole cop not showing up if you postpone it, it doesn't matter here. They will still follow through with the ticket, that DOES NOT work. although for some reason everyone thinks it does.

AWDTURBO
12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Bro go to the court plead guilty and then hopfully the DA will let you pay for the ticket and points with the court fees .. no points :)

joeycuccaro
12-03-2008, 05:58 PM
My buddy got a 104 in a 55 after prom a few years back on the GSP. 10 pts

Reckless was completely dropped, and the speeding ticket was reduced to a speed where he only got 2 points + fines.

Who knows maybe the prosecutor will be in a good mood. Good luck buddy...

If you have aim hit me up so we can chat about it.

93hrdtptt
12-03-2008, 06:08 PM
My buddy got a 104 in a 55 after prom a few years back on the GSP. 10 pts

Reckless was completely dropped, and the speeding ticket was reduced to a speed where he only got 2 points + fines.

Who knows maybe the prosecutor will be in a good mood. Good luck buddy...

If you have aim hit me up so we can chat about it.

oh man, How I hope to get something like that lol...too bad a few years ago they didn't charge you for dropping points...but I'll still take a 2 point violation

Did he go to court by himself? What steps did he take?

A4 KiDD 810
12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Doesnt seem nearly as bad as what you would get in NY, but either way I think the best thing to do(and I'm not trying to be parental or anything I'm 17 lol) but If that was me I would just be like ok... I got caught doing 102 .....theres no excuse for that. Pay it and take whatever the penalty is and hope for a lighter-penalty. In NY if you are caught 100mph or more you are arrested. Ohh yea. BUY A VALENTINE ONE !!!! MINE WORKS EVERY TIME !!! I would never think about even going above 80-85 without a reliable detector lol but thats just me. Really though, you are 22 in a v8 s4, then a $500 V1 shouldnt be too hard on your wallet, but let me say it's worth every single penny. Also in NY alot of times troopers or cops in general will give you breaks ESPECIALLY on speeding tickets. My friend got 96 or 99 or something in a 55 this past summer, right away the state trooper dropped it to 87 on the spot, he pled not guilty(over here you can never go wrong) and they gave everyone 60 in a 55 and $200 fine at his court date yesterday. So maybe you should do the same. They dont care about the speed they care about your money. Good luck with it though and dont forget to protect yourself with a v1 or something similar lol. Then have fun with your s4.

Ricky8997
12-03-2008, 07:45 PM
I wish I could give some advise because I'm a police officer in CT but our state laws are totaly differant.

FYI - In CT anything over 85mph on a Highway is an arrest and considered reckless driving, which equals license suspension....

dougyfresh
12-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Both of mine were in Massachusetts. I sent for a court date on both tickets. The first ticket was "lost in the mail" according to the Court. Thus resulting in a suspended license. The second time, my court date was sent to my old address (my mistake), thus resulting in a suspended license.

Each ticket was about 700 dollars and ended up costing another 300 per ticket to reinstate my license.

Wow. I got EXTREMELY lucky then... Hence why I have slowed down significantly.

audikid66
12-03-2008, 09:18 PM
its jersey.... he only gave you one tiket.. ur gonna pay 250 for ur ticket... and like 250 surcharge if this is ur first ticket being dropped...plead guilty go into court...talk to the prosecuter and see what he can do for you...most likely that what he will do...u got lucky and he only gave you one ticket... u should walk outta there with that ticket being dropped to 2 points and $500 wasted that u coulda spent on mods..but dont think of it that way..think of it as paying the cops salary :/ don't feel bad i have 6 points and jus got a careless driving-excessive speed ticket up north... it sucks..i have probably about $1000 in tickets/surcharges on my credit card that i pay every month... it blows but thats the price u gotta pay for bein wreckless.. i am lucky to have my license..i have gotten lucky A LOT so for the times u get caught with a bad cop u jus gotta remember the times u got out of other shit with no ticket..mkes u feel not AS bad when u pay ur tickets lol

njm23
12-03-2008, 09:48 PM
yeah 250 surcharge to drop 2 points. thats 5 points, more like a $500 surcharge for 4 points. He is lucky he didn't get charged with anything serious, cop was pretty nice if u ask me. Goodluck with the prosecutor and judge, hopefully they both are having great days haha. Being how fast u were going its hard to say how the judge will take it, I got a 88 in 55, and had it dropped to 2 points, prosecutor wouldn't do anything else for me since he said I already got off easy by not getting a wreckless driving ect.. and paid $320.

ApexIt
12-03-2008, 09:52 PM
go to court and try to fight it. you might get it dropped to a lesser offense. the worst that could happen would be that you lose and pay a court fee.

V8S4Fun
12-03-2008, 10:17 PM
I wish I could give some advise because I'm a police officer in CT but our state laws are totaly differant.

FYI - In CT anything over 85mph on a Highway is an arrest and considered reckless driving, which equals license suspension....

Damn, a cop with an RS4, SWEET!

joeycuccaro
12-04-2008, 06:29 AM

[eek] only 85?!

AudiA4_20T
12-04-2008, 06:42 AM
plead unsafe driving, its like $450, no points

Ricky8997
12-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Damn, a cop with an RS4, SWEET!

we like our toys to [:D] my coworker just bought the new BMW M3 Sedan. It's a real close race with the RS4[drive]

A4 KiDD 810
12-04-2008, 11:46 AM
^Just pure curiosity, how do cops afford these type of cars lol, I know its not the best paying job in the world so I'm just curious.

dougyfresh
12-04-2008, 12:11 PM
^Just pure curiosity, how do cops afford these type of cars lol, I know its not the best paying job in the world so I'm just curious.

Its all about balancing your finances (and getting some nice overtime too [:d]). My police officer friends in NJ have toys similar to Ricky8997's RS4 and such.

Ricky8997
12-04-2008, 12:35 PM

Basically I'm at top step in pay, work at least one OT shift per week at 45/hour, and have been smart about my budget. Oh yeah, I don't live with my parents either, I own my home (well the bank does)...lol... Police officers in CT and NY can easily make $100,000.00 per year if you put in the effort to work OT.

A4 KiDD 810
12-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Ohh cool, thanks.

wofman
12-04-2008, 03:29 PM
"unsafe driving" is alternative with moving violations ($ increased, no points) -- I'd be VERY surprised if prosecutor allowed you to plead to that. I'm no longer certain of the increments, but amount of speed over speed limit determines points -- I think everything 20mph + is same (4) but there may also be a 6 point threshold?. If so, see if they'll agree to guilty at 74 mph. Surprised you didn't get reckless, too (which would typically be what you negotiate out of with prosecutor). Good luck!!

joeycuccaro
12-04-2008, 04:30 PM
"unsafe driving" is alternative with moving violations ($ increased, no points) -- I'd be VERY surprised if prosecutor allowed you to plead to that. I'm no longer certain of the increments, but amount of speed over speed limit determines points -- I think everything 20mph + is same (4) but there may also be a 6 point threshold?. If so, see if they'll agree to guilty at 74 mph. Surprised you didn't get reckless, too (which would typically be what you negotiate out of with prosecutor). Good luck!!

Good thing we didn't get get hit on the Taconic Warren, i think we would of been facing much more than a speeding ticket [:D]

jrok24k
12-04-2008, 04:54 PM
yeah my gf was doing 45 in a 25 and she got 4 pionts on the license... to drop all the 4 points she had to pay about 500 surcharge to get it dropped in court.... but you were going more than 40mph over so i am not sure... just try to work something out and take a defensive driving course for 60 bucks to reduce some points you still have remaining

kneel
12-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Tom i think you should give me your S4 and pay your fines. I'll let you have the Avant

joeycuccaro
12-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Tom i think you should give me your S4 and pay your fines. I'll let you have the Avant

hahaha

DownhillA4
12-04-2008, 06:30 PM

I'll trade!

wofman
12-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Good thing we didn't get get hit on the Taconic Warren, i think we would of been facing much more than a speeding ticket [:D]

wasn't that much over 100, was it? and the passing on right stuff is just a technicality

BWALb5
12-04-2008, 09:02 PM
i got caught doing 63 in a 25 school zone 10 days after i got my license went to talk to a lawyer n he said one of the judges there was soo bad he suspended his own sons license when i heard that i was pretty sure i was fucked we ended up putting it off for 5 months finally went on valentines day the lawyer knew the prosecutor and the judge i walked away with unsafe driving $100 ticket $250 surcharge n like 300 in lawyer fees
deff go talk to the prosecutor and c what they say first

93hrdtptt
12-05-2008, 06:36 AM
ahhh....yeah, Neil, nooooo trades! haha

Hopefully I can plea an Unsafe Driving violation and the prosecutor will bite. Since this is my first "major" offense, I'll get some assistance from the courts.

I'm gonna try and postpone this thing for awhile and see what happens

93hrdtptt
12-05-2008, 06:38 AM
i got caught doing 63 in a 25 school zone 10 days after i got my license went to talk to a lawyer n he said one of the judges there was soo bad he suspended his own sons license when i heard that i was pretty sure i was fucked we ended up putting it off for 5 months finally went on valentines day the lawyer knew the prosecutor and the judge i walked away with unsafe driving $100 ticket $250 surcharge n like 300 in lawyer fees
deff go talk to the prosecutor and c what they say first

ohh man...nice save! Hopefully I'll get something like that lol

gle_helle
12-05-2008, 06:55 AM
[QUOTE=deb38;3121018]Both of mine were in Massachusetts. I sent for a court date on both tickets. The first ticket was "lost in the mail" according to the Court. Thus resulting in a suspended license. The second time, my court date was sent to my old address (my mistake), thus resulting in a suspended license.QUOTE]

The same thing happened to me in Mass.; 75 in a 65, and I don't think I was even going that fast. I'm from NY, so I've never reinstated my license, though - still suspended in MA.

Is this a common thing there?

tike0rz
12-05-2008, 07:03 AM
Get a lawyer that specializes in these petty things. I paid one $185 for guidance, and she got me out of so much shit...

spinny
12-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Unsafe driving can only be used once every 2 or 3 years I believe, and it is a reduction in points (I think 2, maybe 3).

I'll call my friend tonight for you, he works night shifts so I don't want to wake him now.

Either way you're getting points, but I think you can get it down to 2 or 3.

wofman
12-05-2008, 08:08 AM
NJ unsafe = no points, but prosecutor/judge have to agree to offer/accept such a plea -- highly unlikely at 100 mph. You can't just decide to use the "option". Limit on unsafe is you can only use that option 2 times without points (over 5 yrs).

2 to 3 points? (there is no 3 pt for speeding) Hard to imagine less than 4 (30 mph over sp limit).

here's the NJ chart:
Exceeding maximum speed 1-14 mph over limit: 2
Exceeding maximum speed 15-29 mph over limit: 4
Exceeding maximum speed 30 mph or more over limit: 5
(also 5 for reckless, 5 for racing, extras for 3rd offense, etc.)

93hrdtptt
12-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Get a lawyer that specializes in these petty things. I paid one $185 for guidance, and she got me out of so much shit...

I called up njspeedingtickets.com or whatever…some group of NJ lawyers that specialize in that kinda stuff, they wanted 500 dollars to represent me, then however much the ticket comes out to…so for example, if they reduce it down to 2 points..then its going to cost : 500 – lawyer – 250 fine – 750 3 points dropped for surcharge…ehhh…

Correct me if I’m wrong, didn’t New Jersey establish that surcharge you have to pay for each point dropped?

Unsafe driving can only be used once every 2 or 3 years I believe, and it is a reduction in points (I think 2, maybe 3).

I'll call my friend tonight for you, he works night shifts so I don't want to wake him now.

Either way you're getting points, but I think you can get it down to 2 or 3.

Luckily my first and essentially only speeding ticket was around when I just turned 17, just over 5 years ago, I used the guilty plea or unsafe driving for that one and have been clean pretty much since except for stupid tickets for seatbelt, tints, ect.

Thanks for giving your friend a call for me later, I really appreciate it as I don’t really know which direction to go in from here except for postponing my court date.

NJ unsafe = no points, but prosecutor/judge have to agree to offer/accept such a plea -- highly unlikely at 100 mph. You can't just decide to use the "option". Limit on unsafe is you can only use that option 2 times without points (over 5 yrs).

2 to 3 points? (there is no 3 pt for speeding) Hard to imagine less than 4 (30 mph over sp limit).

here's the NJ chart:
Exceeding maximum speed 1-14 mph over limit: 2
Exceeding maximum speed 15-29 mph over limit: 4
Exceeding maximum speed 30 mph or more over limit: 5
(also 5 for reckless, 5 for racing, extras for 3rd offense, etc.)

Hey Warren, thanks for the advice, luckily we all survived the thanksgiving ice rally hahaha. What do you think the best course of action is to take?
Do you think I should just get it over with and go on December 17 and by some miracle people have the holiday spirit instilled in them lol, or postpone it until I have all my information together?

93hrdtptt
12-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Basically I'm at top step in pay, work at least one OT shift per week at 45/hour, and have been smart about my budget. Oh yeah, I don't live with my parents either, I own my home (well the bank does)...lol... Police officers in CT and NY can easily make $100,000.00 per year if you put in the effort to work OT.

Congrats on the rs4! maybe if I stop getting tickets, I'll be able to afford that thing one of these days lol.

I appreciate your help with the ticket situation, hopefully it'll work itself out and they won't be in a terrible mood...

Would you suggest any course of action to help me with the court system or a specifc ticket such as the unsafe driving I can plea down to?

wofman
12-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey Warren, thanks for the advice, luckily we all survived the thanksgiving ice rally hahaha. What do you think the best course of action is to take?
Do you think I should just get it over with and go on December 17 and by some miracle people have the holiday spirit instilled in them lol, or postpone it until I have all my information together?

I answered this but don't see my post....
(1) decide what your goals are (points? $?)
(2) I'd go the 17th, feel out prosecutor -- you can always decide then he's not being flexible enough, tell him you want to consult lawyer and postpone. Might as well learn what you can rather than phoning in postponement.

Tell him you don't know what overcame you... new tune-up...not like yourself (clean record)... scared about insurance effects... learned lesson. Doubt you'll be allowed to plead "usafe"; if he says 2 points, grab your checkbook and say thanks. My bet: 4 points. Take a magazine to wait on line to see prosecutor (but not HotRod). Go early so there is a line up behind you when you meet prosecutor. (cases with attorneys go first, then rest in line)

spinny
12-06-2008, 06:00 AM
just a little fyi about cops pay..

Where I live, after 5 years cops make $96,000 - a regular patrol officer with no OT at all.

If you go up the ranks, you can make around $150,000 a year no problem.

wofman
12-06-2008, 09:41 AM
96K for "patrol cop" with no OT? Not in any part of NJ I ever was in. 150 is no problem? I'm afraid you don't have the skinny on salary structures.

LJH
12-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Get a lawyer....I really mean it, they will help in at least getting the ticket reduced. Going to cost you $500.00 but it should be worth it if you would like to continue to drive. BTDT.

Cheers,
Jim

KryptoniK
12-08-2008, 10:27 AM
don't have much advice but this. when I got a ticket for going over a sidewalk curb with my truck (4 points for improper passing) in morristown, the courts were only taking off 2 pts all violations that night. So long story short, I talked down the ticket and still received 2 points, the courts advised us to take a course online (if you haven't done so in the past) to remove 2 additional points.

I did it and it worked, $50.00 and it's the easiest thing you can do. It's a mandatory 6 hour course (timed online) that you have 30 days to complete. It's basically all reading with a couple of test questions here and there (which are all common sense questions).

http://www.njinsurancereduction.com/student/default.aspx?

Once you are done and pass, they send a certificate directly to NJMVC.. I also printed it out, I'll have to give it to my insurance if they request it.

Good luck!

93hrdtptt
12-08-2008, 01:31 PM
don't have much advice but this. when I got a ticket for going over a sidewalk curb with my truck (4 points for improper passing) in morristown, the courts were only taking off 2 pts all violations that night. So long story short, I talked down the ticket and still received 2 points, the courts advised us to take a course online (if you haven't done so in the past) to remove 2 additional points.

I did it and it worked, $50.00 and it's the easiest thing you can do. It's a mandatory 6 hour course (timed online) that you have 30 days to complete. It's basically all reading with a couple of test questions here and there (which are all common sense questions).

http://www.njinsurancereduction.com/student/default.aspx?

Once you are done and pass, they send a certificate directly to NJMVC.. I also printed it out, I'll have to give it to my insurance if they request it.

Good luck!

ooo...awesome Kryptonik, thanks for the info.. well let's see.. its a 5 point ticket, maybe I can have them knock 3 points off [hail] and just pay the fine and then go do the online course and hopefully ill have no points at the end of the day, but an hefty holy in my pocket.

tumtum411
12-08-2008, 01:47 PM
ohhhhhhh man i live in ny but i still say plead not guilty

wofman
12-08-2008, 02:28 PM
maybe I can have them knock 3 points off [hail] and just pay the fine and then go do the online course and hopefully ill have no points at the end of the day, but an hefty holy in my pocket.

---------

Yeah, that sounds like good plan. I wouldn't spend money on lawyer. If you can't get something like this you can get postponement to consult attorney. It's like a free look (at holiday season!)

Tummy - on what basis? He's toast! Unless you want to argue cop's speedo was off by 50 mph? And piss off prosecutor, judge and cop by requiring court time for not guilty. Only possible way is to plead down.

93hrdtptt
12-08-2008, 02:41 PM
---------

Yeah, that sounds like good plan. I wouldn't spend money on lawyer. If you can't get something like this you can get postponement to consult attorney. It's like a free look (at holiday season!)

Tommy - on what basis? He's toast! Unless you want to argue cop's speedo was off by 50 mph? And piss off prosecutor, judge and cop by requiring court time for not guilty. Only possible way is to plead down.

lol, Warren I know! ahhhh, I read all these things like "Case Dismissed" and "Beat the Cops" - all about speeding tickets, ect. I honestly think the only way out of this is to plea it down, I'm gonna go to court on the 17th, and see what the situation looks like.

Best bet so far appears to be a guilty plea and try to get some points dropped, then go to Defensive Driving School; I'll probley do the online class to hopefully take off whatever points I may receive.

Then, go online...and purchase a god damn valentine 1 radar detector and lay low for awhile hahaha

kneel
12-08-2008, 04:50 PM
I'll trade!

I do like the Red A4...........but wish it wash a brilliant red avant!

spinny
12-10-2008, 03:26 PM
96K for "patrol cop" with no OT? Not in any part of NJ I ever was in. 150 is no problem? I'm afraid you don't have the skinny on salary structures.

Yes, After 5 years top pay in my town is $96,000 with no OT.

My fiance's father is a Lieutenant, his salary, along with the other police officers is posted in the local paper.

Also my best friend is a cop, he brought home 115K last year, AFTER taxes. He's a regular patrolman, granted he's done a SHIT ton of OT.

wofman
12-10-2008, 03:37 PM
top rank may be at 96K after 5 yrs, but not a "patrol cop" (you said "cops" in general, not sure what "top" pay means in your contract)

115K after = 150K before (Mayor and Director would be hung in my town for such compensation) -- you in a city or town? you're way over the NJ towns norm; what town are you in?

GrisAudiB6
12-10-2008, 04:01 PM
so i looked at most of the comments and agree thats a really tough ticket to get dropped, especialllly since youve already had violations before..... when its your first ticket you can always get it dropped via conditional discharge or just getting it dropped or lessened to a non point ticket..

i didnt seem to notice anyone noticing a SURCHARGE they charge you in addition to your fine for the ticket... its like $100 every year for 3 years.... my girlfriend got that because she got a ticket for her license being expired, she was pulled over the same damn day she was going to get it renewed but the cop didnt believe it of course.. her ticket was about 56 so she said screw it ill pay it, no points anyway... then they mail her a notice saying she owes $100 in surcharge... ridiculous NJ motor vehicle fines...

and i know exactly what spot your talking about on parkway to get off by 46.. i used to sit in that line and wait to get off on 46 in rush hour, and watch the cop pull like 5 ppl over at a time that tried to pass up the line and cut in right at the exit ramp in front of him lol

00s4slvr
12-10-2008, 07:25 PM
I know nj laws almost like the back of my head. If you got 100 in a 55, thats the last box checked on the ticket. I am VERY suprised he said court date not mandatory. Usually if its something serious lik excessive speeding a court date is mandatory. usually you will have your license suspended for 10-30 days for excessive speeding, wreckless driving etc. I got a 77 in a 45 ticket back when i was 18 and the prosecutor dropped it to 64 in a 55 and i had a 10 day suspension. USually the prosecutor are nice and sometimes you can get unsafe operationg (no points but hefty fines), or if your EXTREMELY lucky you can plead guilty to obstruction of traffic (NO points and 50 dollar fine). Either way plead not guilty, go to court and sicne your record is clean try plea bargainng to Obstruction of traffic, if the prosecutor says no try unsafe operation and if he says no to that then try to lower the speeding to like 69 in a 55 that ways its only 2 points and a lowered fine.

anyway good luck!!

wofman
12-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I know nj laws almost like the back of my head. .... Either way plead not guilty, go to court ... try plea bargainng ...
anyway good luck!!

You don't plead anything -- you see prosecutor prior to pleading and going before judge.

00s4slvr
12-11-2008, 10:53 AM
You don't plead anything -- you see prosecutor prior to pleading and going before judge.

i know that but in order to do that you have to call the court and put in a plea of not guilty, then when you see the prosecutor before you go up and talk to him about lightening up the sentence its call plea bargaining...

wofman
12-11-2008, 01:24 PM
he already has his court date - he's set for the "hurry up and wait" routine that is to come

Beelzeebub
12-11-2008, 02:46 PM
First off, sorry to hear of what happened. 5 points for this with a previous 2 points for a past infraction(?), the judge could just as well suspend your license and send you back for a driver refresher. drive safe.

EuRoSp1c
12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
yea i understand where ur coming from .....me and a buddy in a b6 were on route 46 messing around 3 months and got nailed with racing on a highway, 96 in a 55, and failure to maintain lain. 12 points each... we got a lawyer and got everything down to 2 points... we both spent bout 2000 in this... and now 2 days a go we decide to mess around again on 80, were noth doing about 130 and realize theres 4 state troopers next to us, yes those troppers are fast. but luckily they liked audis and just gave us both carless driving and no front plate.... u think we would have learnerd our lessons.. now he has 8 points and i have 6... yes were idiots but everyone has to live a little

Beelzeebub
12-12-2008, 07:21 AM
the next time you guys decide to play a bit, just whip out the Passport before going at it and you should all be good to go.

njm23
12-12-2008, 01:09 PM
^^ ha yeah until the cop decides he is going to use laser instead of radar like all state troopers.

GQ//S4
12-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Lawyer, best advice I can give.

staubach333
01-18-2009, 08:39 AM
i had ticket after ticket when i was younger and almost beat them all...these days it is different, prosecutors and judges are not as leniant and fines have risen...if you can work an unsafe ticket then my hat is off to you, but i dont think thats going to happen...i was just in court with my girlfriend fighting her ticket and this one kid was pleading not guilty to doing 96 in a 65 and the judge said anything over 90 he suspends for...he wound up with a 10 day suspension and they dropped it to a 2 pt. speeding ticket...you might not lose your liscense, but i can almost guarantee you wont get an unsafe you probably will wind up with a 2 pt. speeding ticket and a fat fine

Chapunki
01-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Plead the FiF...[confused]

06B7audiA4
01-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Good Luck...Im from South Jerz, and I know they dont give you a break to much when over 80 on the parkway and expressway...
The question is: Did he have to flag you down to slow down, or when you saw him did you slow down and then he nabbed u...Sorry to hear about it, but 100 in 55, geez...My worst is 67 in a 40...and that cost me mad cash moneys to get rid of, and points taken away, 1st offense

S4_NE
01-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Good luck, 6 years ago i got nailed in NJ ( I am from CT ) 95 in a 55, had to go to court and I got a reduced to unsafe speed, I also had a lawer, he coast 750.00 . he was from NJ and I never meet him untill the day in court, that day was the most expensive concert in my life lol I got nailed going to PNC center to see a concert

lukeb6
01-26-2009, 11:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yea i understand where ur coming from .....me and a buddy in a b6 were on route 46 messing around 3 months and got nailed with racing on a highway, 96 in a 55, and failure to maintain lain. 12 points each... we got a lawyer and got everything down to 2 points... we both spent bout 2000 in this... and now 2 days a go we decide to mess around again on 80, were noth doing about 130 and realize theres 4 state troopers next to us, yes those troppers are fast. but luckily they liked audis and just gave us both carless driving and no front plate.... u think we would have learnerd our lessons.. now he has 8 points and i have 6... yes were idiots but everyone has to live a little

sry baby i have 10pts lol jerzyy suxxx lmfao "the funnything is when the cops rolled up behind us we though sumone wanted to run it lol so i down shifted an blew a flame out at the cop the turned his lights on n eurospic was bat to bounce till all of rt80 light up with back up it took the cops bat 5 to 6 miles to catch up to us when we flew by haha... now i pay monthly to keep driving lol

Seerlah
01-27-2009, 07:33 AM
I did not read the other posts, except for the OP. I would pay the fine, take a driver's safety course (2 or 3 points off licence, can not recall and 10% off insurance; NY State course), and take it slower next time.

wofman
01-27-2009, 08:02 AM
I see this post is back -- 93: what ever happened in court? Curious minds want to know!

93hrdtptt
01-27-2009, 01:01 PM
ahhhh

Sorry I haven't been on in awhile guys, recently moved out..hard drive blew up..and have been working quite a bit lately.

So, my update on this ridiculous adventure goes as such.

I had my second court date last week, again the prosecutor asks me the same question as he did 3 weeks prior, whether or not I would like to plead guilty or not guilty.

I briefly explained to him that we had already gone over this scenario and I was here for my trial. He then goes to ask me if I am representing myself, to which I answered yes, and asked if my police officer was present. Well, he wasn't there...

So the prosecutor goes on asking me..So really, how fast do you think you were going. I told I wasn't really sure, maybe I was with the flow of traffic, maybe going a bit faster, I couldnt really tell. So, he asks me the same question and I kept repeating the fact that I wasn't entirely too sure. Of course then he feels he must feel like a tough guy and looks at another cop and says " I feel like I'm speaking to my wife" lol...Which I thought was funny, but at the same time...ridiculously unnecessary behavior for a supposed "professional", however we all know that traffic court is the biggest flim flamming scam around.

So, he goes and tries some scare tactic of repeatedly stating that he is going to call the officer and if I really want him there. I told him I've been ready since I walked in the door. So he says hang tight and he was going to call him.

I sat in court for another 2 hours, while I was there, some guy pleaded guilty to going 101 in a 55, and lost his license for 15 days with fines being around the ballpark of $450. So, that got me a little nervous and flustered. The judge then calls for recess, and after a moment one of the court clerks walks out of the office and calls out my name. He then goes to say that they were unable to contact my officer and my court date will have to be postponed once again.

Now, I should requested for trial dismissal, or atleast marked the next trial dismissed, but my head was all over the place.

SO.....my new court date is now Feb. 4th, set for next week...This will be my third time in this god forsaken place...if the cop doesnt show again, thats 3 times in a row, and further action such as a dismissal isnt such a far fetched idea.

P.S - Apparently Saddle Brook's government are sticklers of the law and aren't too fond of having points reduced. So, it appears to be an all or nothing case as it stands right now.

But no worries... I'm still here [up][drive]

wofman
01-27-2009, 08:46 PM
pm sent

audikid66
01-28-2009, 07:43 AM
fuck NJ im fighting a "careless driving excessive speed" ticket up in west patterson and the cop retired so obv. didn't show up now they gotta sobpina the cop to come to court.. and i gotta go back in 2 weeks...thats sum BS...if the cop don't show then you should be able to drop the ticket since theres no one to fight it... cop didn't even clock me.. told me it looked like i was speeding..wtf.thats bullshit.... I HATE COPSSSSS AND NJ

wofman
01-28-2009, 08:56 AM
66 -- out of curiosity, what speed were you doing?

audikid66
01-28-2009, 09:03 AM
not sure really... it was twisty mountain road

CONTROL ONE
01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Wow, in Ontario if the officer does not show the case is immediately thrown out, no questions asked.

This is a good trick that I've learned if you want to fight it yourself.

1. After receiving infraction, set trial date at court.
2. Purposely miss your trial date - you will be found guilty
3. Immediately reopen case stating that you had recently moved/have trouble receiving mail, etc., essentially you just need to state why you were not at the court appearance.
4. The justice of the peace will reschedule your court date if they agree with you.
5. That first trial date you got, there's a 98% chance that cop IS showing up as they schedule certain days for certain cops so they just have to go in once to hear X amount of cases for tickets they've issued. Now, this second date you just got was completely decided by the JOP, NOT the officer so there is a very high likelihood of the officer working, out of town, whatever that day and he is not going to show up to court, wait hours on end, just to see you punished for a Stop Sign ticket or similar.

I've done this 3x and it's worked every time. No cop at 2nd trial.

wofman
01-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Control -- Toronto customs, practices are quite irrelevant.

66 -- twisty is fine, but implicit point is whether you were speeding. Hard to be so self righteous if you were in fact speeding.

audikid66
01-28-2009, 09:17 AM
CONTROL ONE: THATS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT WOULDA HAPPENED... nj sucks tho

its the fact that the cop didnt show and they r going out of their way to fight a carless driving ticket that a cop wrote 3 weeks before he retired... i jus find it rediculous

CONTROL ONE
01-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Control -- Toronto customs, practices are quite irrelevant.

66 -- twisty is fine, but implicit point is whether you were speeding. Hard to be so self righteous if you were in fact speeding.

I wasn't posting up for the OP, just in general. There are quite a few Ontarioins on the board here.

CONTROL ONE
01-28-2009, 09:19 AM
CONTROL ONE: THATS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT WOULDA HAPPENED... nj sucks tho

its the fact that the cop didnt show and they r going out of their way to fight a carless driving ticket that a cop wrote 3 weeks before he retired... i jus find it rediculous

That sucks man, move to Canada [;)]

How is it fair that if YOU don't show up, you are automatically guilty but if the Officer doesn't show up, the court case is rescheduled??

That's the most unfair, assinine rule I've ever heard of. Who is going to compensate you for time of work, distance travelled, etc. all because he didn't show?

Completely and totally unfair.

audikid66
01-28-2009, 09:26 AM
i kno.. i had to go to work late and travel and hour and a half.. and the cop is retired!!!!

wofman
01-28-2009, 09:46 AM
At what age do kids stop using line, "it's not fair"?

audikid66
01-29-2009, 10:59 AM
wen did i ever say that?

wofman
01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
when you agreed with Control's use of the term, and of course that was entire thrust of your post (it's BS, etc., shoulda been dropped when cop wasn't present...)

spinny
01-29-2009, 12:41 PM
You guys need the following:

1. PBA Card
2. Valentine V1 Radar detector

audikid66
01-29-2009, 09:39 PM
You guys need the following:

1. PBA Card
2. Valentine V1 Radar detector

i got both man.. i have a few pba and a gold sate trooper sargeant badge... sumtime they dont give a shit

spinny
01-30-2009, 05:16 AM
Where did you get the pba and badge from though?

joeycuccaro
01-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Where did you get the pba and badge from though?

Spinny did you get my pm?

spinny
01-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Spinny did you get my pm?

Yup! I replied too! anywho, send the stuff you need to send to vaders4 at live dot com.

I'll give it to my buddy and get it right back to you.

He's going to offer a full detail - valued at $150.

jdmnomore
01-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Ive seen some truth and some shanninigans (spelling?) in this thread. Here is my story of getting a ticket for 117 on a 50.

It happened in Nov 08. Got a ticket for 117 in a 50. Arrived for my mandatory court date and had a lawyer tell me how bad the judge is. This is a scare tactic employed by lawyers to make you use them. If you have priors, use a lawyer if you feel confident speaking for yourself and have 1 or less priors dont bother with a lawyer. The court starts and you must plead either guilty or not guilty, do not play games you know you are guilty so plead guilty. Before you go before the judge you should be given an oppurtunity to speak to the prosecutor. The prosecutor is always a deuschbag. Think of them as car salesman.

I was given two tickets a speeding ticket worth 5pts and a wreckless driving ticket worth 4pts. The prosecutor read my tickets and said I was screwed. I had noticed the officer wasnt there and explained that i was under the impression that was grounds for dismissal. He countered by saying all they had to do was postpone my hearing and make sure the officer came. He then offered to dismiss my speeding ticket and give me the wreckless ticket. I agreed b/c that was a great deal and the next step was to appear before the judge. I feel the most important part of the whole process is when you appear before the judge.

He/She will give you the option to say something before they pass judgement. SAY SOMETHING!!!!! Do not use any lame excuses I explained that i was a little arrogant having never recieved a ticket before and that the conditions on the ticket show that there was no traffic so although i completely ignored the rules of driving I wouldve only made such a mistake in a situation where i knew i would be putting no one but myself at risk. He, the judge was an a hole but I guess because I was the only one who actually spoke for myself he said he understood what i was saying.

After all of that i ended up w/ 60 days suspension 4pts and $570 in fines including the restoration fee and surcharges. Not as bad as it couldve been and the S4 got some much needed RnR. Long story but i hope it helps.

joeycuccaro
01-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Ive seen some truth and some shanninigans (spelling?) in this thread. Here is my story of getting a ticket for 117 on a 50.

It happened in Nov 08. Got a ticket for 117 in a 50. Arrived for my mandatory court date and had a lawyer tell me how bad the judge is. This is a scare tactic employed by lawyers to make you use them. If you have priors, use a lawyer if you feel confident speaking for yourself and have 1 or less priors dont bother with a lawyer. The court starts and you must plead either guilty or not guilty, do not play games you know you are guilty so plead guilty. Before you go before the judge you should be given an oppurtunity to speak to the prosecutor. The prosecutor is always a deuschbag. Think of them as car salesman.

I was given two tickets a speeding ticket worth 5pts and a wreckless driving ticket worth 4pts. The prosecutor read my tickets and said I was screwed. I had noticed the officer wasnt there and explained that i was under the impression that was grounds for dismissal. He countered by saying all they had to do was postpone my hearing and make sure the officer came. He then offered to dismiss my speeding ticket and give me the wreckless ticket. I agreed b/c that was a great deal and the next step was to appear before the judge. I feel the most important part of the whole process is when you appear before the judge.

He/She will give you the option to say something before they pass judgement. SAY SOMETHING!!!!! Do not use any lame excuses I explained that i was a little arrogant having never recieved a ticket before and that the conditions on the ticket show that there was no traffic so although i completely ignored the rules of driving I wouldve only made such a mistake in a situation where i knew i would be putting no one but myself at risk. He, the judge was an a hole but I guess because I was the only one who actually spoke for myself he said he understood what i was saying.

After all of that i ended up w/ 60 days suspension 4pts and $570 in fines including the restoration fee and surcharges. Not as bad as it couldve been and the S4 got some much needed RnR. Long story but i hope it helps.

Not that bad. You are lucky because the officer could of arrested you on site for that speed.

jboldt
01-30-2009, 12:45 PM
If it's story time...

A few months ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I got nailed for 100 in a 55. The cop paced me in his marked Ford Expedition. So, mandatory court. I go to court. Nobody there but the two state troopers and the judge. I plead guilty, but decide to have some fun. I asked the troopers if the Expedition is modified at all. They say no. Now, I was only on the highway for 3 miles. I tell them that the max speed on their speedometer is 100, and they agree. I then say, "well, if the max speed is 100, and I was going 100, then how did you catch up to me?" They stated that they were already on the highway and had to "peg the speedometer" to catch me. The judge then asks me if that was my "big red car" out front of the courthouse. I said yes. He then asked if was trying to see how fast it went. I said, "no, I know how fast it goes." Everybody got a laugh out of that one. Since they thought I was funny, they dropped the speed down to 85 and 3 points. Anyway, the moral of the story is that cops and judges are just people. Either they will be cool, or not be cool. Pray for the cool ones.