PDA

View Full Version : Custom ECU upgrade (Flash)

A4-disiac
10-21-2004, 11:16 AM
I just called a local tuning shop that installs GIAC chips. This shop is right around the corner from my house so its really convenient . I see them working on a variety on cars like RX8's, Porsche, EVO's, S4'4, STi's Z's and even a skyline. The cars they use as their show cars are the RX8's and that is their specialty.

So I'm speaking to one of the owners about setting up an appointment to have the chip installed. He mentions that they have the capability of writing a custom program for my car. Which would be similar to the GIAC chip. Then they would flash my stock chip with the custom program. The price on this would be 200 bucks. The procedure is fully reversable, but would cost 200 bucks to have put back to stock.

I don't know what to think of this. I like the idea of having a custom program written for my car. The shop seems like it has a good history as far as racing and tuning cars. They people seem trustworthy. But unfortunately I don't know enough about this kinda stuff so I'm asking for you opinions.

offroader1006
10-21-2004, 11:23 AM
if they have a cookie cutter set up from doing some research and trail and error on another 1.8t, then they should definitley be able to flash it no problem.

just ask what other 1.8t's theyve done. see what kinda results they got

EVIL-AUDI
10-21-2004, 11:28 AM
What shop is this? Go with the Chip.

fanuvbrak
10-21-2004, 11:28 AM
i haven't been chipped yet (i'll go to awe-tuning in 2 months) but from what i've read, it seems like you wouldn't want to have to pay $200 bucks to go back to the stock ecu.

awe charges $400 for the giac chip ad $50 to keep your stock chip. so, even if you have to go back to stock once (and then back to chipped) you're at $600 versus $450 for GIAC and the spare stock chip.

just a thought...

A4-disiac
10-21-2004, 11:49 AM
The name of the shop is Acosta Motorsports.

offroad- that is a good idea. I'll have to talk to them about seeing past results. Although I think the results will vary because they customize the program to what you car is equipped with. I assume that means mods as well. If that's the case I'm still stock.

Fanu- you make an excellent point. Which I was thinking as well.

I'll probably still go with GIAC but you can't dispute that it would be nice to dicover a new performance mod.

EVIL-AUDI
10-21-2004, 11:50 AM
I guess they use Lemi to write a new program. I'd stick with the GIAC chip with the stock option. Safest and easiest overall.

skene
10-21-2004, 11:51 AM
ok.... I'm gonna have to call BS on this one.

The price of even the flash isnt that cheap sorry to say. Go to a normal GIAC dealer...

PES Tuning
AWE Tuning

these are the local GIAC dealers.

A4-disiac
10-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by skene
ok.... I'm gonna have to call BS on this one.

The price of even the flash isnt that cheap sorry to say. Go to a normal GIAC dealer...

PES Tuning
AWE Tuning

these are the local GIAC dealers.

Well they aren't using the GIAC software. Its a propriatary process so they could charge as much or little as they wish.

offroader1006
10-21-2004, 12:44 PM
yeah, once they develop the software, then their cost of doing it is basically labor

wakko
10-21-2004, 02:09 PM
To me, it sounds like they are not doing any 'encryption' method (similar to GIAC) as far as programing the current chip. May be you can ask if its possible to put in a socket so you can swap between your stock chip & their program. I would think a socket + chip in materials will be minimal cost.

Just that this way, they are not protecting their software. But I know see they are doing any protection either with just plain flashing your current chip.

Just some suggestion.