PDA

View Full Version : My car's at the stealership and...

fanuvbrak
10-21-2004, 10:32 AM
he says that whenever the battery is disconnected, you must reset all of the computer codes so that the components can "re-learn" their optimal settings. I took it in because the tip just plain sucked - it'd dump me into 5th gear while doing 25mph up a hill, forcing me to use manual continuously. He said they reset the codes and now it will work properly.

Is this true? Everytime I disconnect the battery, I have to reset these codes? If this is true, I should buy a VAG COM right now.

offroader1006
10-21-2004, 10:48 AM
the computer does learn things, but unpluging the battery shouldnt kill its memory, the only time it needs to relearn is when you replace a part that affects the sensors' readings

btw who is he?

jesseahhstyle
10-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Dude, You dont need to "reset" it. The computer just needs to remap. I dont know what this service writer/manager is talking about. I've disconnected mine many many times and i've never had to "recode" my car.

Or if you unplug the ECU it will need to remap. I think this guy is bending you over backwords.

offroader1006
10-21-2004, 10:54 AM
yeah, definitley

thats why i asked who this guy was.

an ecm doesnt ever need anything done to it unless it breaks.

fanuvbrak
10-21-2004, 11:21 AM
"he" is the service rep at the dealership. and maybe i misunderstood him. his exact words were "have you replaced the battery recently? because the computer was telling us it was disconnected and we need to reset certain codes. The transmission is one of them."

luckily this is all falling under the audi assured warranty (my deductible is covered by the $89 oil change that is the "67,000 mile scheduled maintenance).

the dealer gets no work unless it's warranty. i found an independent audi mechanic that i trust.

and FYI: I asked him point blank about the TB. The car has 66,000 miles on it and I asked if TB failure was covered if I get all the regularly scheduled maintenance.

Since the TB is not scheduled for replacement until 105,000 miles any damage caused by TB failure is covered as well as the TB itself, even if the warranty doesn't cover belts.

skene
10-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Sorry but the transmission control unit (TCU) does not need resetting.... it has a hard code embedded into the programming.
I'll call BS on what he is saying regarding that... all others though... yes the engine control unit (ECU) must go through remapping again but that happens once you reconnect the battery or disconnect.

JMG
10-21-2004, 07:24 PM
He's feeding you a little BS. They don't ned to remap anything. If at all all they have to do is reset it and clear the codes, and maybe to a TBA.

skene
10-21-2004, 07:42 PM
if you dont know that means....

Throttle Body Alignment.

But the ECU does adapt to your driving style to a point.. if you are an agressive driver.. it will adapt and change to a point.

this is all done within the first few hours of driving.