PDA

View Full Version : 99 A4 Avant

jeffs
10-21-2004, 07:47 AM
I'm car (used) shopping right now and considering the A4 as a possible vehicle. I've run across a 99.5 Avant Quattro that is in great shape, but has a few more miles on it... actually alot more miles that I was originally thinking about, 90k. The vehicle seems to be in great shape, service records are there, timing belt was done at 60k.

They're asking $9k for it, I was thinking about offering them $8. I was originally thinking about spending $12-13k on a car.

If you were in my shoes, would you not even consider something with so many miles? Am I asking for large repair bills with a car this old and so many miles? I want to chip the car, and can't say I'll be driving it delicately, I'm sure I'll be hard on it.

Pureaudi
10-21-2004, 07:57 AM
eh, thats allot for a 99.5, i got my 97 with 74ish for 9gs. id pass that if i were you.

Brrman
10-21-2004, 08:26 AM
90k is a lot of miles for $9G's.

audisnapr
10-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Brrman
90k is a lot of miles for $9G's.

^^^^this is true, now $8(.00: see original post) that's a deal!

jeffs
10-21-2004, 08:39 AM
What if you REALLY like the car. I'm trying to rationalize this I think, I should stop. It's just such a pretty Avant.

Alright, so you had $12k to spend and were looking for an A4, what would you be looking for? I'm really looking for a 2000-2001 manual A4 with 40-60k. I'd love a Quattro, but it doesn't have to have it. Is this unrealistic? What would be the highest milage you would consider?

What if the car was already chipped, would this turn you off? I would think the car has been driven very hard already if mods ave already been done.

I'm not thinking I'm going to get hard and fast rules to go by here, just people's opinions.

audisnapr
10-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Avant's are purdy jeffs... this is true. But if you are not in a position where you need a car right this second... keep looking. Many of the guys here have bought their cars used and can tell you what they paid vs. mileage and you'll find that many got good deals.

IMO, although 9K is high for an A4 sedan, it may not be over the top for an Avant. Many of the audi enthusiasts will tell you that they wish they would have bought an Avant but just couldn't find one. They are not as easy to find.

Also, you will have an easier time finding an Avant that is unmodded vs. a Sedan that is unmodded. The market for Avants was more for the stay-home-mom's that wanted a little pep in their daily routine. But once the sport wagon caught on in the industry, things changed. So if you find one that is unmodded with a good VIN and good maintenance records, see if you can talk them down. But don't get caught up in the moment. If they don't come down on the price, walk away.

The fact that the TB is done is a good thing, there are only a few other items to worry about and I'll let the others chime in on that one.

Do a search... many have stopped by AZ to ask about what to look for when buying an A4 and have received some great feedback.

<edit>
FYI: very little changed from 99.5 to 2000. 2001 is where things are a bit different, mainly engine output.

IndieRockSteve
10-21-2004, 10:00 AM
I'd see if you can get him to part with it for $8K, if not, keep looking. But like was mentioned above, Avants are hard to come by, apparently in the states theres a 9:1 ratio of sedans to avants sold. If the car's been well taken care of up to the 90Kmi I wouldn't think its too bad off. It would give you a good reason to get a K04 kit, and start replacing parts with the aftermarket performance units too. Check online to see what other similar Avants are going for to get an idea of the general price range.

Definitly Chip it though, and get new suspension(sport or coilovers) and new exhaust. If you can fit it in the budget, K04 kits are pretty cheap and come with the chip.

wa-gone
10-21-2004, 03:33 PM
i got my 99.5 for 5k a steal w/ 100k on it

fanuvbrak
10-21-2004, 03:40 PM
if you have $12k, you should be able to get something with less than 65K miles on it.

skene
10-21-2004, 03:47 PM
buy mine.... then just do a little work to get it up and running... she's been sitting for months... but it has more mods than you can shake a stick at.

not an avant though.

MR VTEC
10-21-2004, 03:55 PM
i didnt read all the replies but that a great price in my opnion with records. Look what has been rreplaced and consider what may need replacing and offer him $8000 and see where it goes from there. Especially if its a 1.8t

dsswain
10-21-2004, 04:47 PM
There is always a better deal out there for year/mi. But as long as you are getting what you want and are comfortable with it I'd say go for it. If what you want is rare (A4 Avant) you should almost be willing to pay a premium for it. That said the price is good, better at $8k but if it's what you want it's worth it to you.

Still sleep on it and make sure it is what you want, it's your $$ you should get what you want for it.

As far as a chip or other mods, I think most people take care of their cars. If they are knowledgeable about their car I would not shy away, we know what will and will not be bad for it. It's the guy that doesn't know what he's got and does it anyways that I'd be worried about.

Fellow Avant Owner

MR VTEC
10-21-2004, 05:07 PM
if it has records and i can verify it i have no worries. I bought my 98 with 99k on it drives like a dream with worn tie rods and control arms

jeffs
10-21-2004, 08:21 PM
I drove it this afternoon and while there is so much potential there for a really sick ride, I think I'm going to pass. It was really clean, but it just felt like a car with 90k on the odometer; a really nice well taken care of car with 90k, but still. I didn't care for the auto either, I need to stick to my guns and find a manual. Turns out the timing belt had not been done either. Blue book on this car was only $9300.

Going to drive another A4 this weekend, 5 speed, sport suspension, 99.5, with 50k listed in the paper for $10,900. No quattro, but again, I can live without it if I find the right car.

I still can't believe how much the Audi dealership here tries to charge for "pre-owned" 99-01's.

Thanks for all the info, I hope owning this car is as much fun as shopping for it.

audisnapr
10-22-2004, 04:35 AM
if you aren't in a hurry jeffs... reconsider your postition on the quattro option. hold out for a 1.8tqm - it'll be worth it.

jefferson88
10-22-2004, 04:42 AM
Hold out for Quattro.... thats what an Audi is all about.

SFexBOY
10-22-2004, 10:32 AM
$9gs aint bad in my opinion.

My car is an 01.5 w/ 64K...and wouldn't sell that thing for anything under $16.

Anthony
10-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Yeah, $8-9k for a 99.5 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro is actually very cheap, especially with less than 70,000 miles. If you find another one that cheap, with around that mileage, in great shape, don't hesitate! Avants are definitely hard to come by.

Brrman
10-22-2004, 01:08 PM
I bought my 2000 A4 Avant a couple months ago with 39K on it for $14500. I thought that was a kick ass deal.

jeffs
10-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Alright, just drove the 99 A4 sedan. It's a tight ass car with 50k, the guy just bought an A6 and wants to dump it. I'm going to have a mechanic check it out on Monday, but it sounds like it's not going to be around much longer. Anyone got access to carfax? VIN is WAUBB28DXXA233195.

$10k to me sounds like a sweet deal for this ride. I dont' know if I'll find anything else this clean for the amount of money.

Do I jump, or keep looking? I think it's too soon, but man, this car is sweet. It's dark blue with blue and grey interior; by far my favorite color scheme I've seen.

Anthony
10-23-2004, 02:36 PM
What motor? And do you really not care if it's a sedan or Avant?

jeffs
10-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Anthony
What motor? And do you really not care if it's a sedan or Avant?

1.8t.

I love the Avants, but I really just want an A4. I'm buying this car for fun and specifically the way it handle/drives. The body on it to me really doesn't matter as long as it's low miles (under 60k) and a 5 speed.

fanuvbrak
10-24-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by jeffs
Alright, just drove the 99 A4 sedan. It's a tight ass car with 50k, the guy just bought an A6 and wants to dump it. I'm going to have a mechanic check it out on Monday, but it sounds like it's not going to be around much longer. Anyone got access to carfax? VIN is WAUBB28DXXA233195.

$10k to me sounds like a sweet deal for this ride. I dont' know if I'll find anything else this clean for the amount of money.

Do I jump, or keep looking? I think it's too soon, but man, this car is sweet. It's dark blue with blue and grey interior; by far my favorite color scheme I've seen.

i'd jump on it. a 99 w/only 50K doesn't happen very often. and $10k is a very decent price. i paid $11,500 for mine with 64k. it was audi assured, though, so i didn't think it was too bad. is it stick or tiptronic? i, unfortunately, went with the tip and i'd rather have manual.

but overall sounds like a good deal...

millerracer
10-24-2004, 09:00 AM
remember dude... if it isn't quattro - then it's not worth getting an audi.

BTW - I got my 01.5 avant in PERFECT condition with 60K on it for under 15K (got lucky through a buddy as it blued for 20.5). It is a sport model as well.

I put a belt on it @ 70K and new tires @ 65K. The avant is the tits in my opinion, very versatile but doesn't look like a wagon.

9K would have been a very fair price for an avant quattro in great condition... IF that TB had already been changed.. last thing you want to do is to put OVER blue book value into a car before the first month.

jeffs
10-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by fanuvbrak
i'd jump on it. a 99 w/only 50K doesn't happen very often. and $10k is a very decent price. i paid $11,500 for mine with 64k. it was audi assured, though, so i didn't think it was too bad. is it stick or tiptronic? i, unfortunately, went with the tip and i'd rather have manual.

but overall sounds like a good deal...

It's a stick and I'm thinking the same thing, I made my offer and he took it. Mechanics check it out on Monday, money should be ready to go.

No Quattro, but $5k less than I thought I was going to spend and less miles.

Anybody need a 98 Altima with 130k on it? ;)