PDA

View Full Version : Best scanner to buy.

kovalevandrew
11-30-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm going to buy a scanner tomorrow. Which one would you guys recommend?

Seerlah
11-30-2008, 09:12 AM
VAG Com from Ross-Tech. All else is not worth it. If you have a Laptop, you can download the software, buy a VAG Com USB cable from ebay (yes, a $5 ebay cable), then purchase the lisence key from Ross-Tech. That is what I have. But I read that the best is to get the official Ross-Tech cable (when you purchase the cable, you get the software and lisence key. but it is ~$500).

ApexIt
11-30-2008, 10:02 AM
you mean a police scanner or a "scanner" to be able to read whats wrong with the car?

kovalevandrew
11-30-2008, 10:02 AM
http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VCHUC&Category_Code=VAGCOM

I'm thinking of ordering one of those.

kovalevandrew
11-30-2008, 10:06 AM
you mean a police scanner or a "scanner" to be able to read whats wrong with the car?

Already got a number of those. [evilsmile]

Seerlah
11-30-2008, 10:07 AM
My guesstimation price was waaayyyy off. But yeah, that one is the best to go with. Just make sure you order the corect cable. From what I have read, with those cables you will be permitted to do more logging, configurations, etc than if you buy an ebay cable and lisence key. Eventually down the road, I might also get that cable myself, as I have the older version of VAG Com (bought used from AZ member).

Kyle H
11-30-2008, 10:15 AM
I went the ebay route and I haven't been able to get my vagcom to work correctly. I'd get everything direct from rosstech if you have the cash.

kovalevandrew
11-30-2008, 10:20 AM
I went the ebay route and I haven't been able to get my vagcom to work correctly. I'd get everything direct from rosstech if you have the cash.

I'll gladly spend the cash on getting the right thing the first time.

Kyle H
11-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Go with the one straight from rosstech then. It's not worth the headache to do it my way... plus, with that build you're planning you'll want to be able to datalog with no problems.

kovalevandrew
11-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Go with the one straight from rosstech then. It's not worth the headache to do it my way... plus, with that build you're planning you'll want to be able to datalog with no problems.

Already placed my order, should be here this week still. [up]