PDA

View Full Version : oil change...

audlman
10-20-2004, 06:54 PM
any idea what the dealer charges?

aussie_s4
10-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by audlman
any idea what the dealer charges? yep, here you go (http://www.audizine.com/forum/search.php?s=) [;)]

cbass
10-20-2004, 07:19 PM
An arm, a leg, and maybe your left nut too.

offroader1006
10-20-2004, 07:22 PM
we do ours for 57.00 for a mobil 1 oil change on an a4

only 12 if you bring you oil

jesseahhstyle
10-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Or you just just buy the damn oil and do it yoruself, Thats a great idea??? Its seriously not that hard. Jack up your car, losen the 5 screws that hold the belly pan on, get the filter off and pull the drain plug and there goes your oil draining. Put some oil on the rubber gasket on the new filter and then pour oil in the filter til its about 1/4 to 1/2 full put the filter back on, 1/4 to 1/2 way turn once its all the way down. Put the oil plug back on nice and tight. Pour the 4.6 qt's of oil in, wait a few mins. Check your oil make sure there are no leaks from the plug of the filter. The put the belly pan back on, and then set the car back on the ground and your done.

Reason to pour oil directly into the filter before putting it back onto the oil filter mounting plate. is for one reason, to prevent a lack of lubrication. Make sure there is plenty of it there so that way it wont be dry, and damage any parts that need oil.

offroader1006
10-20-2004, 08:01 PM
where is the oil pump pickup on the audi engines??

i assumed it to be in the oil pan.

also, which engine are you getting your oil capacities for?

jesseahhstyle
10-20-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by offroader1006
where is the oil pump pickup on the audi engines??

i assumed it to be in the oil pan.

also, which engine are you getting your oil capacities for?

The 1.8t, Just about ever engine has the oil pick up, or oil pump in the lower portion of the block where the oil pan is bolted to the block. Where there is a tube with mesh type filter on the end so the oil being sucked into the engine does not suck in the contaminates, *as much dirt, metal shavings, stuff like that* but usually that stuff is to dense and heavy it will just sink to the bottom of the oil sump.

Also, the specs are probably damn near close for the 2.8 lt v6. Because my GF's 2.0 bettle uses the same amount of oil. But then again it might be 4 might be 5 gallons. Depends on how much of the oil in your engine comes out, because not 100% of the oil you drain comes out. There is still some left in there. That is why I said check and make sure you have the right amount approximatly 5 mins later.

offroader1006
10-20-2004, 08:11 PM
so, what are we keeping lubricated by "priming" the filter?

it just makes it a little harder to install it in my eyes, and i do it for a living.

also for those who are doing it themselves, you do not have to have the filter on to add oil, nor does it need to be off to drain it.

not trying to start anything, just making sure I understand this engine fully[;)]

jesseahhstyle
10-20-2004, 08:19 PM
Well by having oil in the filter for the .2 seconds or so that there is no oil in the oil pump, filter or anything. See what im saying? Its not 100% necessary to "prime" the filter. But I do it, its not hard at all on our cars. Seriously... thats why you only fill it 1/4 to 1/2 full. I had mine all the way full and had NO problem and NO oil spilling.

But on my GF's bettle I filled it like3/4s and it was kinda tricky to get it on. But I managed.

Hassmeister
10-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Do it yourself! Buy Amsoil and change less often.
I do mine every 12,500... it hasn't failed me yet. Several years on 4 vehicles doing it this way and not a single problem. One Benz guy I sell oil to has an extractor device he places in the dip stick tube and sucks it out into a canister. Then just spins off his filter. Replaces the filter and oil and he's good to go. Actually M-Benz recommends the extractor method.

offroader1006
10-20-2004, 08:30 PM
ive seen the extractor method used before.

i dont like doing it that way because it doesnt drain from the bottom where any metalic particles may settle

i put a magnet beside my drian plug just to catch any sludge, so i always drain from the bottom to change it out.

jesseahhstyle
10-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by offroader1006
ive seen the extractor method used before.

i dont like doing it that way because it doesnt drain from the bottom where any metalic particles may settle

i put a magnet beside my drian plug just to catch any sludge, so i always drain from the bottom to change it out.

My exact thoughts on that. I dont trust it, and its never gonna get the gunk and sludge outta the bottom portion of the oil pan. On N/A tuned cars you can do the kerosene or the oil flush and pour that in your car before you drain it and it will help even more with getting the crap, and lose particles lose outta the engine.

WhippeD
10-20-2004, 11:50 PM
how many quarts does the 2.8 actually take..i put 5.25 quart and the indicator on the dip stick still shows minimum....???[confused] [confused]

cbass
10-21-2004, 07:49 AM
so fill it more till it reaches the minimum mark, then put one more quart in. I'm sure the 2.8 holds more than the 1.8

dbtong
10-21-2004, 08:00 AM
Prices can vary. Why not just call the dealer? Not being a wise-ass, just the best way to get the exact answer you're looking for.

In my 2.8 12v, I think I use 5.3 quarts per oil/filter change.

Hassmeister
10-21-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by jesseahhstyle
getting the crap, and lose particles lose outta the engine.

Wow, what's the crap and loose particles doing in your engine (should be caught in the filter). I haven't experienced that (no sludge, gunk, crap or loose particles) ever. Been running Amsoil and their filters all a long and change every 12,500... never saw what you are describing. Hmmm [rolleyes]

offroader1006
10-21-2004, 10:59 AM
oil filters are not inline, they are seperate, and it doesnt filter all of the oil, for all it knows it could be filtering the same oil over and over.

i put a magnet on all my cars as a detection device. its a sort of gauge for me to check.

any car at anytime could get damaged and start creating metal shavings

this is an easy way to detect it.

pheebau
01-08-2005, 11:56 AM
I read in this forum that there is now a bigger oil filter for the A4 block...

Are you guys getting it from the dealership or else?

Yes, I searched in these forums before you say it :)

What kinda oil for a B5 2001 1.8TQ Tip w/ 54K miles on it? Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic sounds good? - am in California btw...not much winter happening...

Thanks in advance.

brettuzzi
01-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by dbtong
Prices can vary. Why not just call the dealer? Not being a wise-ass, just the best way to get the exact answer you're looking for.

In my 2.8 12v, I think I use 5.3 quarts per oil/filter change.

Engine Oil:
1.8t - 4.2 U.S. quarts (4 liter)
2.8 - 5.3 U.S. quarts (5 liter)

brettuzzi
01-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by pheebau
I read in this forum that there is now a bigger oil filter for the A4 block...

Are you guys getting it from the dealership or else?

Yes, I searched in these forums before you say it :)

What kinda oil for a B5 2001 1.8TQ Tip w/ 54K miles on it? Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic sounds good? - am in California btw...not much winter happening...

Thanks in advance.

NO

5w40! The 30 will thin out too much at higher temperatures, which is bad for the 1.8t which runs hot. Plus in california.. well, put the damn 5w40 in it, like your manual says to.

808a41.8t
01-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by brettuzzi
NO

5w40! The 30 will thin out too much at higher temperatures, which is bad for the 1.8t which runs hot. Plus in california.. well, put the damn 5w40 in it, like your manual says to.
it says that in the manual? cuz when i went to sears to ask them what oil i should use, they told me that the computer says to use 5w-30...

cbass
01-08-2005, 02:42 PM
I would suspect the computer is wrong at sears. The computer at Jiffy Lube also says 5w30, but I know I wouldn't put it in my car.

sighpost
01-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by brettuzzi
Engine Oil:
1.8t - 4.2 U.S. quarts (4 liter)
2.8 - 5.3 U.S. quarts (5 liter)

nope 1.8t was revised to 3.8

george_wash_B5
01-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by sighpost
nope 1.8t was revised to 3.8

my bad, numbers quoted were for a '99

sighpost
01-08-2005, 06:33 PM
ya but it is still 3.7-3.8 quarts regardless

also, for those interested, i am using 15W-50 (mobile one)