PDA

View Full Version : decision time on a 1998 2.8

///alpinepower
10-20-2004, 05:09 PM
car has 30v engine, wear is acceptable, records galore--- power steering is squealing like a pig, but likely the only problem spot.

110k miles, for $6k, yea/nay?

audlman
10-20-2004, 05:12 PM
6k sounds ok, i don't know much about pricing though on a 2.8. sounds kinda reasonable to me, id say it's good.

///alpinepower
10-20-2004, 05:14 PM
i also need to assume the steering has been neglected long enough to require new pump and rack. it was loud

MR VTEC
10-20-2004, 05:28 PM
nay
don't inherit some elses problems if they neglected that imagine what else is about to go!

///alpinepower
10-20-2004, 05:31 PM
he didn't do it because the warranty ran out, hence the sale. carfax has entries every 3000 miles for oil changes, and he has every receipt since he got it

audlman
10-20-2004, 05:38 PM
thats sounds good.

Steve24
10-20-2004, 05:38 PM
nay, too many miles

///alpinepower
10-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Steve24
nay, too many miles

well....this won't be my primary car. it is clean, i wanna slap some RS4 wheels on it, and i'll be happy.

the suspension was done (front) also --- are there any other major issues to be aware of?

Steve24
10-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by ///alpinepower
well....this won't be my primary car. it is clean, i wanna slap some RS4 wheels on it, and i'll be happy.

the suspension was done (front) also --- are there any other major issues to be aware of?

turbo cars dont last forever, especially german ones... do what you want, but a lot of repairs/replacement parts are needed for late mile audi's unless the guy has already done a shit load of repairs

audispeed
10-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Steve24
turbo cars dont last forever, especially german ones... do what you want, but a lot of repairs/replacement parts are needed for late mile audi's unless the guy has already done a shit load of repairs

Unless audi packed almost 8 valves into each combustion chamber, its a v6 [:D]. If they are well taken car of, there arent really many issues to worry about. Control arms, timing belt, and cam tensioner seals are about the only major issues to worry about. Keep in mind they arent cheap repairs. Also, get a quote on fixing the steering problem first, that may be enough to convince you to keep looking. It all depends on how bad it is. My car has 100k on it, I opened it up to do the cam seals and such, and my mechanic friend and i both agreed the engine looked like it was almost brand new (knocks on wood). I bought mine with 87k miles and have used synthetic at every oil change, but who knows about the other 87k. Good luck looking.

MR VTEC
10-20-2004, 05:56 PM
AUDI and second car dsnt add up to me!
some with such high maintenance cost wouldn't be 4 me. For a sunday car or second car if it had to be an audi for second car it would have to be something sporty like a TT.

///alpinepower
10-20-2004, 06:06 PM
the expenses associated with this vehicle do not seem outrageous. replacing suspension parts and oil do not irk me--- what i don't want to deal with is failure of parts that should not fail. like climate control issues other than an a/c recharge, or engine problems, or electrical issues.

the 2.8s i am looking at don't seem to have these problems. the 1.8ts break a lot becuase everybody jacks the boost to 10 bar...lol

MR VTEC
10-20-2004, 06:13 PM
AN AUDI IS AN AUDI! Control arms are on both 1.8 and 2.8 so i don't get but it's your money waste the way you want too.

The point I was getting at was pay a little bit more for a better find, but records don't lie and you can find out from the dealer if its authenitic so pick up your new baby and join the family [rolleyes] [:)]