PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather package Q.

EC Motorwerks
10-20-2004, 07:07 AM
So i got my driver side mirror replaced b/c of the brown "rust" on it. I notice the mirror gets warm even if i dont have any defroster on? The passenger side mirror stays cold. Is this normal or is one broke?

yellowaudi24psi
10-20-2004, 07:11 AM
my mirrors wont heat at all and i have the cold weather package. mabye its a bad connection on the passenger side?

MR VTEC
10-20-2004, 07:21 AM
is there a swich or something for the mirror warmers

EC Motorwerks
10-20-2004, 07:22 AM
I thougth they went on when u put a defroster on. Driver side actually got hot w/ defroster on.

MR VTEC
10-20-2004, 07:25 AM
oh because i got heated seat which i thought was cold weather package and i ddnt see any heat mirrors button [:p]

Daft
10-20-2004, 07:47 AM
On A4 cars made before January 1999, there was no control over the heaters in the side mirrors. As soon as the key is turned on, the mirror heats up regardless of the ambient air temps.

Beginning in January 1999, new Audis were fitted with a thermoswitch on the back of the mirror glass to disable the heating element above 59F.

http://www.20vturbo.com/tsb/mirror/audipdf/a660004.pdf

When you buy a replacement glass piece, the new one will have the thermoswitch already installed.

If you have a mirror that isn't warming up at all, the heating element has died and the mirror glass needs replacing.

On the pre 1999.5 cars, the driver's side glass is about $35 from Impex.

www.impexfap.com

I'm not sure how much the passenger side glass is but, you can call them up and ask.

Hassmeister
10-20-2004, 08:04 AM
Mines a '98 and only works with the defrost switch on the dash along with my wiper nozzles and rear defroster. Hmmm. I'm lucky then.

Daft
10-20-2004, 08:08 AM
Hass, did you buy your car used?

The operation of those mirrors shouldn't be that way. There were alot of people who hooked their side mirrors to the rear defroster button:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec18.shtml

EC Motorwerks
10-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Daft
On A4 cars made before January 1999, there was no control over the heaters in the side mirrors. As soon as the key is turned on, the mirror heats up regardless of the ambient air temps.

Beginning in January 1999, new Audis were fitted with a thermoswitch on the back of the mirror glass to disable the heating element above 59F.

http://www.20vturbo.com/tsb/mirror/audipdf/a660004.pdf

When you buy a replacement glass piece, the new one will have the thermoswitch already installed.

If you have a mirror that isn't warming up at all, the heating element has died and the mirror glass needs replacing.

On the pre 1999.5 cars, the driver's side glass is about $35 from Impex.

www.impexfap.com

I'm not sure how much the passenger side glass is but, you can call them up and ask.
Thanks for all the info. I believe the mirror from the dealer was the same price or maybe a few dollars less. I will just have my passenger side one replaced then as well.