PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearings???!!!???HELP!!??

WhippeD
10-20-2004, 12:40 AM
anybody ever had a problem with the wheel bearings? how can i determine if it is the wheel bearings that r bad? how much to repair? i'm not even sure if i got wheel bearing problem, it could be just sound from the tires it self....at least i hope it's just the tires...(((((98 2.8 Q)))))

e.van
10-20-2004, 03:59 AM
I've had a bad bearing for the last 15,000 miles (some say that's bad[eek] ). If it sounds like you have an engine in your wheel well, it's most likely that.

skene
10-20-2004, 06:26 AM
what does it sound like? please describe

MR VTEC
10-20-2004, 07:00 AM
does it sound like sand in a can!?!

Daft
10-20-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by WhippeD
anybody ever had a problem with the wheel bearings? how can i determine if it is the wheel bearings that r bad? how much to repair? i'm not even sure if i got wheel bearing problem, it could be just sound from the tires it self....at least i hope it's just the tires...(((((98 2.8 Q)))))

The easiest way to rule out the tires is to move the front tires to the rear and vice versa. If the noise continues to occur from the same area of the car, you need to check the brakes at that corner and if they apear ok, you most likely have a bad wheel bearing.

When a wheel bearing goes bad, you begin to hear a noise that is similar to an unbalanced wheel. Kind of a whirring thudding noise. Wheel bearings very seldom fail in pairs. You can make the noise increase in volume or completely go away on sharp corners.

Turn into a corner around 30MPH. Making a left hand turn will put pressure on the right side of the car. Vice versa for the other side. When you make a turn and it goes away, you've found the bad side.

WhippeD
10-20-2004, 10:27 AM
the thing is i'm not sure from which side the sound is coming from, sounds like it's coming from all four... [mad] [confused][mad] [confused][mad]

offroader1006
10-20-2004, 10:36 AM
when wheel bearings go bad, sometimes you can feel the drag on them (if they are in the front) it tends to pull to one side.

you can also jack up that side and wiggle the wheel in and out, if it has any more than 1/8" of play it may need to be replaced (could be just not tightened properly, which ends up causing bearing failures).

also, it may make a rumbling, growling, or scratching sound. if it sounds like theres sand in your wheel, and its not your brakes, it is the bearing

A4_Andre
10-20-2004, 11:26 AM
i had 1 go bad and it made a humming noise that go louder as i went faster. i think i paid about 50 for a wheel bearing kit

dbtong
10-20-2004, 11:50 AM
I had a wheel bearing replaced earlier this year. I didn't think that was the culprit as it didn't groan...it was more of a squeak. Now I have another one making the same noise...and now I'm groaning. [rolleyes]

offroader1006
10-20-2004, 12:27 PM
replace it before it gets more serious you dont want it wallowing out the race surface

SF944
10-20-2004, 03:06 PM
I'll second that ^^^^^

Mine sounded like a frozen caliper, dragging on the brake disk.
Easy to tell which one it is: It will get quieter or silent when you unload it-- my right front was bad, it got quiet on right turns, LOUD on left turns.

Fix it before it gets too late, I bought my car knowing the bearing needed to be replaced, what I didn't bargain on was that it was so bad it had destroyed the hub assembly, too. Stealership reamed me for almost $600.
YMMV.