PDA

View Full Version : Car Problem Help!

sushi_turbo
10-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Today I was at the pump and I topped off the gas (like an idiot).. immediately afterwards, the "Malfunction Indicator Light" came on and the car immediately felt so sluggish and messed up on the way home. I was wondering if anybody ever had this problem before and if so, how you dealt with it.

ANY feedback to this problem is greatly appreciated.

Crisqo
10-18-2004, 07:26 PM
did you put back the gas cap tightly?

SeanF
10-18-2004, 09:24 PM
i always top it off... well, once it auto stops, i pull again for another auto stop... never had a cel in my car... or a mil...

i know my moms car(cadillac) gets a cel when you dont tighten the gas cap like crisqo said.

D Piddy
10-18-2004, 10:18 PM
he would throw a code if he left the cap off, but that owuld not account for any change in performance

skene
10-19-2004, 09:00 AM
do you fuel the car with the engine running?
it may have sensed it as a leak... thats why it may perform poorly.

sushi_turbo
10-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Hey guys,

Took my car to the shop- It turned out the problem with my car was that the Ignition Control Module was out of order and needed to be replaced. This was not cheap- $378 for the part from the stealership and $90 for the labor.

Please let me know if this is a common problem with Audis in general. I have owned the car for half a year and this, along with replacing the vacuum pump and cv boot, is all part of the maintence money pit!

offroader1006
10-20-2004, 08:54 PM
thanks for the update, nothing like finally getting the answer

thats was a wierd coincidence.

those are the kind of scenerios i hate as a tech, lol.

cbass
10-20-2004, 09:17 PM
So you already replaced the ICM? You should check here next time anybody says something is wrong with your car, you'll be able to save hundreds on parts alone. And BTW, don't go to the stealer unless the car's under warranty, even then I would be leary. Find a good independent european garage to do your work for you, they're much, much cheaper.