PDA

View Full Version : Help: Boost leak???

v1nyd
11-09-2008, 06:08 PM
So I have a 99.5 1.8TQM with an APR stage I chip. I recently replaced the DV with a Freedom Designs on and soon after I had a major boost leak. I was at 16psi with the chip but the car dropped down to 5-6psi. It has absolutely no pickup anymore and I can hear the turbo spool but not build boost. Also I can not hear the DV anymore

I checked the intercooler piping and didn't notice any tears, I checked the shaft play on the turbo and didn't feel any what so ever.

However when I'm at idle and give it some throttle I hear a clicking noise coming either from around the DP area or turbo area. Anyone know what it could be?

I'm going to try and bring the car to my tuner to see if he can do a boost leak test for me but I'm afraid he's going to charge me an arm and leg but he's the only person around here that probably knows how to do a boost leak test.

anguswritt
11-11-2008, 07:24 PM
You can do a boost leak diagnostic pretty easily yourself. Heres the AW DIY that is really helpful. good luck!

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1659806.phtml

redflagquattro
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
do you have a check engine light? any codes? make sure your not in limp mode first. But otoh since you said you only used to hit 16 it would be hard to beleve you could be in limpmode.

v1nyd
11-17-2008, 02:26 PM
I don't have a check engine light, but I found oil in my air intake pipe to the turbo, especially in that valve that looks like a hockey puck. I'll check out what this limp mode is about because I think that's what it is