PDA

View Full Version : Replacing plugs in my 30v

00SantorinS4
11-03-2008, 05:19 AM
This has probably been covered a thousand times but the search function sucks..
I cant use words like 30v , v6, or 2.8 it comes up with absolutely no matches found.

Anyways, I want to replace the factory plugs before going into winter on my 99.5 30v. What plugs would you guys recommend?
Plus when its cold out second gear likes to stutter a little as I'm giving it gas from the lower rpm range. I figure they've probably never been replaced and its at 70k miles.

TIA guys

kevin

bob12312357
11-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Try cleaning your MAF also to help with your stuttering problem if the plugs don't cure it. Takes 5 minutes and costs nothing.

flyromeo3
11-03-2008, 06:40 AM
I went with NGK BKR6E
If you go on NGK site it tells you that these are the OEM ones BKR6EKUB

You'll be fine with the BKR6E and you dont have to gap them.

Just be careful when removing the Spark Plug cables ( if your replacing them as well ) from the ICM as I needed to use a bit of force to remove them. I ended up breaking some plastic hose thing ( crankcase breather hose? ) and its like a 50 dollar part. Thankfully some blk 3m electrical tape was nearby and I taped that shit back up.

Its a fairly simple job.

00SantorinS4
11-03-2008, 06:45 AM
I appreciate the info guys.
I'll be very delicate when removing those wires.
Thanks for the heads up!

bob12312357
11-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Be a man and firmly grasp the coil pack, pull straight up smoothly and cleanly. Don't twist wiggle or pry. They'll come out.

black00A4
11-03-2008, 08:32 AM
I have the Bosch Platinum 4's in my car, they work well but I think I am gonna go NGK Iridium this spring. Stick with NGK plugs and you will be fine, also do a seafoam treatment before you change out the plugs.

A4 Effort
11-03-2008, 09:30 AM
I used to run the NGK Iridiums gapped to .028. Now i'm running the copper BKR6E's gapped at .030. IMO the Iridiums are a good choice - they're a bit pricey, but hold up well under normal driving conditions and will last longer.

russella
11-03-2008, 10:40 AM
2.8L 30V does not have coil-on-plug. It's wires, and I agree with other poster, be careful.

Also, that brittle plastic corrugated hosing is for crankcase ventilation, and the adhesive on electrical tape will not hold up to the oil and heat. Perhaps something like aluminum or Kapton tape would work. I know because I found mine "repaired" that way and...it didn't hold up.

Be a man and firmly grasp the coil pack, pull straight up smoothly and cleanly. Don't twist wiggle or pry. They'll come out.

bob12312357
11-03-2008, 10:46 AM
2.8L 30V does not have coil-on-plug. It's wires, and I agree with other poster, be careful.

Also, that brittle plastic corrugated hosing is for crankcase ventilation, and the adhesive on electrical tape will not hold up to the oil and heat. Perhaps something like aluminum or Kapton tape would work. I know because I found mine "repaired" that way and...it didn't hold up.
Ahhh, ok.OOppppssss Thought it was like my lil baby motor.[wrench][wrench]