PDA

View Full Version : Might be out of the game

MNQuattroGuy
10-15-2004, 06:13 AM
My car's been costing me way to much on maintence lately and I think I'm gona have to sell it[:(] . I'll at least stay in the vag family though. Does anyone know if 99.5 VR6 GTI's have alot of maintenece issues like the B5 audi's.

Audimarc
10-15-2004, 06:13 AM
VR6s are rock solid....

MNQuattroGuy
10-15-2004, 06:17 AM
Is the VR6 like the 2.8 where it's not very modable?

MNQuattroGuy
10-15-2004, 06:55 AM
Ok read some stuff on vwvortex didn't know the vr6 was a totally diff engine. Man I know nothing about dubs.

fanuvbrak
10-15-2004, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MNQuattroGuy
[B]My car's been costing me way to much on maintence lately and I think I'm gona have to sell it[:(] .

I know where you're coming from, man. I keep setting aside money for a chip, have most of it, then something breaks or needs replacing. The last thing was when the dealer disconnected the battery and then wanted to charge me $90 bucks to retrieve the code for the HU. I told them to forget it and bought a new headunit which I will attempt to install tonight. So, when I break something doing this, I'll have that money to take away from a chip, too.

But I'm in for the long haul and I will be chipped.

MR VTEC
10-15-2004, 09:25 AM
i feel both of yall!
Maintenance is a bitch cant even enjoy the ride with out worrying about $500 repairs every month

pigliiit
10-15-2004, 09:30 AM
what kind of maintanance costs have you had? dont sell it, dont wanna lose another mn audi. have you chiped it yet? if not, you should drive mine chipped to feel what the car can do, then you wouldn't want to sell it.

quattro_maniac
10-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Supercharged VR6 is HOT...reliable and the vr6 is bullet proof...i say go for it if you're really considering getting rid of the a4...

SEXIC─N
10-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Audi>VW is what always say. If the Audi is costing you an arm and leg you might want to consider the switch. Its sad to say but i don't really see these maintenence bills as i only drive my car like twice a month.

A4Rob
10-15-2004, 11:14 AM
MNQuattroGuy- Are you still going to be on the mnaudi boards?

Audimarc
10-15-2004, 11:32 AM
VR6 have very little in the way of available mods, same situation as I am in now.

quattro_maniac
10-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by 1999 Audi A4
VR6 have very little in the way of available mods, same situation as I am in now.

V6' and VR6's are different...

Audi_Sniper
10-15-2004, 12:14 PM
I can say this. I have owned nothing but VW's until I bought my A4. I know it still VAG. My 92 Jetta was like a rock and nothing ever went on it. But I can say it was not your everday kind of car. The motor and everthing was rebuilt. But after I got done doing all the work I was like it looks to good to take to the track kind of thing. [rolleyes] Still wish I had that car. Sorrey I'm getting off topic here. I bought my GF a 98 Jetta VR6 and she has droped about 4G's into that car and wants to go back to a honda now. She has had about everthing you can think of go bad on that car.
I have a few friends with MKIII Jettas and they love them and nothing has gone big time on them. I guess you just have to make sure it's a solid car before you buy it. I think my girl got the wrong end of the stick, because the car is from NYC and the suspesion was fooked when she got it.

Audi_Sniper
10-15-2004, 12:16 PM
I hit QUOTE by mistake.[rolleyes]

jrodmk2
10-15-2004, 12:24 PM
whtbutterofrage you said one word that seems to aplly to the vr community that has had the same problem"jetta" the gti never seem to have as many problems as the jetta's
[:(]

Audimarc
10-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by quattro_maniac
V6' and VR6's are different...

True, but I had a friend with the VR6 in his Jetta and there was very little available for it. Found a supercharger or two and some air-intakes, but little else.

Audi_Sniper
10-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by jrodmk2
whtbutterofrage you said one word that seems to aplly to the vr community that has had the same problem"jetta" the gti never seem to have as many problems as the jetta's
[:(]

Yeah I would not by a MKIII jetta . MKII with a VR swap "YES"[:D]

MNQuattroGuy
10-15-2004, 03:33 PM
I'm going to look at the GTI tomorrow, but he say's someone else is coming also to look at it andd might buy it before I do. Pigliit I have not chipped it yet and would like to see what it feels like. As for my maintenece in the last year I've had control arms, MAF, vacum leak on a hose that made it oveboost like crazy, something on the quattro broke, airbag ignitor chip broke, and now I need more control arms, timing belt, and my car over boosts like mad again, possibly a new motor mount too.

3 bar
10-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Your going to regret it in the winter (No AWD). The 99.5 jettas and Gtis have usually have window regulator problems.They have quite a few electrical problems primarily with the lighting. Also They get costly if there high mileage because the timing chain tensioners wear out and need replacing . As far as mods A chip does little for the car since its NA. Techtonics and other companys make exhausts, shrick makes cams, there are supercharger kits for them as well. Im too cheap to pay someone to do my maintenence so I do it myself. Thats how I can afford to keep mine.

A4 in SC
10-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by 3 bar
Im too cheap to pay someone to do my maintenence so I do it myself. Thats how I can afford to keep mine.

Amen Brotha'!!! BTW, I think you're 'preaching to the choir'...[:D]

MNQuattroGuy
10-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Hmmmmm..... mabey I should do my own. I like to feel a chipped a4 mabey then i would feel it's potential.

quattro_maniac
10-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by 1999 Audi A4
True, but I had a friend with the VR6 in his Jetta and there was very little available for it. Found a supercharger or two and some air-intakes, but little else.

well, modding a VR is big bucks if you want serious power...stage I turbo kits are the only bolt-on turbo kits available because after that you have to do internals to handle the boost... www.vwturbo.com has a kit that my friend is looking at getting...nowhere near what the vr can handle, but its a start

quattro_maniac
10-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by MNQuattroGuy
Hmmmmm..... mabey I should do my own. I like to feel a chipped a4 mabey then i would feel it's potential.

you won't regret it...i haven't gotten mine yet, but i'm missing the one i had on the passat...i can just feel the potential thats in this car and it makes me sad that its so restricted[:(]

pigliiit
10-16-2004, 09:12 AM
come out to s &l today, you can drive my car.i'm pm'ed you with my cell#. you want a better treat, drive jprice's when he vag's your car.

MNQuattroGuy
10-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks for letin' me drive it. Im gonna get that cracked hose fixed and hopefully that'll take car of one of my problems.

01B5turboQ
10-16-2004, 04:22 PM
u shoudl get a 2000 beacuws ei think you can get the 200 hp vr and the 6 speed ?

MNQuattroGuy
10-16-2004, 05:26 PM
might be a good thought