PDA

View Full Version : proper warm up procedure

808a41.8t
10-14-2004, 01:18 AM
can anyone tell me the correct way to warm up our cars? i was searching around and found two ways. first was to let the car idle until the needle went to the middle. second was to wait for the rpms to drop under 1000 rpm and then drive under 3k until the oil temp started to rise. the first couple of months that i had the car, i was warming it up using the first method. someone told me it was wrong, so i started using the second method last week. can anyone shed some light on this? im very confused [confused] thanks in advance

jefferson88
10-14-2004, 04:48 AM
the manual says start it up and drive it gentle until its at its normal temp reading. Its says not to let it sit after starting it...

Hassmeister
10-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Worst thing to do is let it sit and idle for a extended period of time.
I'd go easy driving till the oil and coolant temp are in normal ranges before romping on it. I get up and drive the first few miles easy, shift below 3,000 rpm in every gear and not accelerate hard (drive like I have an egg under my gas pedal). Once I get off my back roads and on the freeway(highway) comes up she's normally upto temp.

RippleChip
10-14-2004, 08:24 AM
I always start and then drive easy, never let it sit idling to come up to temp

A Foore
10-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Just outta curiosity...why is it bad to let it idle?

derek2079
10-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by ImportRacer

i believe its not bad to let it idle for a min when it starts. ive asked people the correct way and that is let car idle for 30-60 sec and driveher easy until temp levels are normal. maybe i am wrong =/

MR VTEC
10-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by ImportRacer
word!?!

EVIL-AUDI
10-14-2004, 09:36 AM
I don't care. When it's freezing here, I start that sucker from upstairs till it's toasty in the garage then hop in.

a4drvr
10-14-2004, 09:43 AM
After I start, I let it run for 30-60 sec and pooch it til its warmed up. Then anything goes! Unless its really cold like below zero then I wait for a couple min and then go, provided I can see

fanuvbrak
10-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Unless letting it idle causes my engine to sieze, impotency, or sudden death, I'll be hard pressed not to let it idle this winter. I lost the coin toss and the wife's X5 gets the garage...

Anyone with specific information on why idling to warm up is so bad?

808a41.8t
10-14-2004, 01:10 PM
ok thanks everyone. kind of sucks though. living in hawaii, everywhere i need to go to is like 10 minutes away since i live in town. so i just end up driving around the block a few times before going out....

IndieRockSteve
10-14-2004, 01:19 PM
letting it sit idle won't damage it, its just that it won't really warm up the engine either. remember the temperature sensor cannot tell you what the core temperature of the engine block is, so letting it idle for a few minutes and thinking its "warmed up" will cause damage. Let it idle all you want, just remember, its not substitute for giving it that 5+ minute road traveling warm up time.

I have to stay under 40mph for the first 4 miles of my commute to, well, pretty much anywhere, from where I live, so I go it slow.

mudshoveler
10-14-2004, 02:20 PM
don't care. When it's freezing here, I start that sucker from upstairs till it's toasty in the garage then hop in.

Ain't that the truth! Without heated seats I'm not about to hop in something that's been sitting in teh freezing cold all night.

I usually keep it under 3k when driving anyway... of course I take her for runs now and then, but for the most part I keep it under 3k.

yellowaudi24psi
10-14-2004, 03:41 PM
i set my turbo timer for 5min and then run back inside when i come out the car is warm and im out. but i still shift like a woman for the first 10 miles

millerracer
10-14-2004, 04:23 PM
LOL..shift like a woman?? so.. I assume your car has a burnt up clutch and ground down gears?[:D]

EVIL-AUDI
10-14-2004, 05:31 PM
I heart remote start on a manual trans.

jones3000
10-14-2004, 05:35 PM
interesting post. I was just thinking the same thing this morning when I started up my car.

SeanF
10-14-2004, 05:43 PM
i want a remote start, and i have a manual tranny, but i dont have to push the clutch in to start it anyways... why is that?

bong2611
10-14-2004, 05:54 PM
now this is some good info. I always let my car sit for a couple minutes before taking off.
Now I know.

A4Rob
10-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by bong2611
now this is some good info. I always let my car sit for a couple minutes before taking off.
Now I know.

especially when temperatures are around 0.

RippleChip
10-14-2004, 07:11 PM
My winter procedure...clean drivers side off of snow. Start car, turn on heated seats. Finish cleaning off the rest of the snow and jump in the car. That takes less than a minute or so all depending on how much snow. Then drive slowly out through my neighbourhood letting the car warm up while driving. By the time I hit the main roads its pretty much ready to go.

D Piddy
10-14-2004, 07:36 PM
so wut's the deal with a rmeote start in a manual. how can i pull this off seeing as i don't have heated seats?

4ingDrive
10-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by D Piddy
so wut's the deal with a rmeote start in a manual. how can i pull this off seeing as i don't have heated seats?

Astrostart makes a real nice model for manual trannies.

derek2079
10-14-2004, 10:44 PM
you can get remote starts i have been think about doing this for a lil while now. there are two things that concern me, no shops want to install on remote start for a manual trans. and i dont want to have another keychain ontop of my switchblade nor do i want to use a normal audi key. i hate big keychains. =<

4ingDrive
10-14-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by derek2079
you can get remote starts i have been think about doing this for a lil while now. there are two things that concern me, no shops want to install on remote start for a manual trans. and i dont want to have another keychain ontop of my switchblade nor do i want to use a normal audi key. i hate big keychains. =<

The reason that no shops want to install a system is because there's too much liabilty using a standard remote start. This system is designed specifically for a manual. If you don't want a new remote then you won't get a system. There's no way to use the stock key fob for start.

littlewhite
10-14-2004, 10:56 PM
I have remote start so i let it start for a min and wait until my rev drop to 820 and i go easy on it unti it gets up to normal temp

D Piddy
10-14-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by 4ingDrive
Astrostart makes a real nice model for manual trannies.

link? i can't find it on their site

808a41.8t
10-15-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by 4ingDrive
The reason that no shops want to install a system is because there's too much liabilty using a standard remote start. This system is designed specifically for a manual. If you don't want a new remote then you won't get a system. There's no way to use the stock key fob for start.
yea, no one down here will do the remote start for my car because of an incident were someone had they're car in gear and started it up and it hit the car in front of them... [mad] is it hard to hook it up yourself? i can get really good deals on alarms thats why...

4ingDrive
10-15-2004, 06:14 AM
It gets fairly complicated depending on your skill. The Astro's are set up it so it won't start in gear.

rlebwohl
10-15-2004, 06:31 AM
Interesting posts about warming up....Once I turn it on, I let it sit for about 45 seconds just so the idle goes donw a bit, then I drive it easy like all of you till the temp starts to rise

EVIL-AUDI
10-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Having a remote start on my car is the best thing ever. Having another remote on the keychain is no biggie.

IndieRockSteve
10-15-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
I heart remote start on a manual trans.

is your remote start part of an alarm system or seperate? I'd love to get one installed that won't affect the stock "alarm". Any info on your setup would be appreciated.

EVIL-AUDI
10-15-2004, 09:11 AM
I have the Matrix RS3 alarm, that has aremote stat and turbo timer included. It works with the stock alarm.

D Piddy
10-16-2004, 06:46 AM
I have the Matrix RS3 alarm, that has aremote stat and turbo timer included. It works with the stock alarm.

how much does that one cost?

audlman
10-16-2004, 08:25 AM
I don't care. When it's freezing here, I start that sucker from upstairs till it's toasty in the garage then hop in.

you could be suffocating yourself EVIL. [eek] now should you take that procedure in a different manner. lol

D Piddy
10-16-2004, 11:20 AM
could that hurt yur car, sicne it's suckin in all that crap instead of O2?

96A6Quattro
10-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Funny, I start mine every morning, let it idle on average of 10 to 15 minutes, get in, and it's warm. Oil is at temp, coolant is at temp, I know the rear and tranny are not, and I drive it accordingly. But still, how is this going to hurt the car? Is that what THEY tell you? Of course they'll say that, it's pollution silly! They have to appear as if they are against that evil thing.
"Accelerating gently reduces fuel consumption, engine wear, and does not disturb the environment." Fresh outta the manual. I know for a fact that I do a hell of alot more damage to my motor when it's at temp than when it's cold. [rolleyes]

EVIL-AUDI
10-29-2004, 11:22 AM
The garage door is open about a foot you crackheads. I do that from inside aswell.

Audimarc
10-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Rub her gently, ply her with wine and chocolates until such time as she's ready to roll.......

fanuvbrak
10-29-2004, 11:44 AM
i get in, start 'er up and redline by the end of my driveway, which is about 30 feet long. then i haul ass past the bus stop, swerving around that stupid yellow bus until i can hit 120 on the turnpike. this is all during rain and while i'm sucking down a rum and coke.

Silvant
10-29-2004, 11:48 AM
for the life of the car, i have started, let it sit till it comes off of choke and lowers to the normal idle. then i dont get on it at all till temp shows a bit of heat and my water temp is at normal.
people that jump in, start and floor it are fools.

EVIL-AUDI
10-29-2004, 11:49 AM
^^ this man is right on. ^^

Audimarc
10-29-2004, 12:04 PM
^^ this man is right on. ^^

I thought that I was pretty close to perfect....

808a41.8t
10-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Silvant
for the life of the car, i have started, let it sit till it comes off of choke and lowers to the normal idle. then i dont get on it at all till temp shows a bit of heat and my water temp is at normal.
people that jump in, start and floor it are fools.
werd