PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Leaking!!!

darkaudib5
10-06-2008, 09:47 PM
my oil pan is leaking and im guessing its my gasket on my oil pan and so i bought a new oil pan and gasket but its not like a normal bolt under the car and they are circular and weird shape so what am i suppose to do?? is there a special tool or something and help on installing the oil pan please.

Beemer832
10-07-2008, 07:42 AM
i havent ever taken my oil pain off before but there is a possibility that they are either hex or torque head bolts. They do this so they can keep the clearances closer and tighter, basically dont need the extra room for a wrench or socket to fit over the bolt.

you can get these at any auto parts/tool store. might as well get a set of each beacuse you will need them if you are going to be working on your car.

-josh

blmlozz
10-07-2008, 08:13 AM
you need a 6mm? allen wrench(the one with the pivit ball) & socket.. the rest are 16mm bolts.. You'll also need to jack up the engine/tranny off the mounts pretty far to get the pan off, so make sure it's absolutely the pan that's leaking before you undertake this as I'm pretty handy around my A4 and this was fairly time-consuming.

Another thing to note is that the rear-main-seal bolts connect through the pan, these can be accessed through pre-cut holes where the pan meats the tranny. There's alot holding the pan to the block, if it's not comming off there's something still holding it, trust me when I say it *will* fall down when everything has been removed, it will also be necessary to put the car in the service posistion, which means taking the radiator core support off.

normaly, you don't use gaskets on aluminum pans to cast iron blocks. You use gasket maker sealant. Thats what's used on the OE engines.

beemer832 is correct, it's best to just buy a set of allen and torx sockets since most of the bolts on the car use these kinds of bolts.

darkaudib5
10-07-2008, 08:40 AM
well im just changing the lower part of the oil pan not the whole thing and so the thing i bought was a oil pan and it said i would need a gasket to?? woould it be ok it i put the gasket on to or not to??

GetBoosted84
10-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure what year your car is but my 2001 didn't use a traditional gasket. I had to use white gasket maker (got it from the dealership but its just oil resistant RTV sealant).

And my oil pan was one piece.

blmlozz
10-07-2008, 10:54 AM
well im just changing the lower part of the oil pan not the whole thing and so the thing i bought was a oil pan and it said i would need a gasket to?? woould it be ok it i put the gasket on to or not to??

the B5 A4 didn't use a 2piece oil pan.. the 1.8T in the jettas and golf's used a top aluminum and steel bottom though.. and iirc they do bolt-up, but you're positive it's a 2 piece?

I'm not saying if you use a traditional gasket it's going to leak, what I *am* saying is that audi didn't use rtv to cheap out. I forget the reason, but it's a good one why you use rtv instead of a real gasket, I think mabye because of the different kinds of machining done to the two different materials.

sixfiveoh
10-07-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure what year your car is but my 2001 didn't use a traditional gasket. I had to use white gasket maker (got it from the dealership but its just oil resistant RTV sealant).

And my oil pan was one piece.

x2

And you're in for more than you think. Enjoy dropping the subframe/jacking up the motor [wrench]

GetBoosted84
10-07-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree with sixfiveoh... My engine was on a stand when I played with the oil pan. I would NOT want to do something with the pan with the engine still in the car. That would not be a fun process.

crono35
10-07-2008, 04:04 PM
If you can't see the bolts holding the pan to the tranny, use a 17 mm 12 pt socket on the crank and have someone turn the flywheel until you can see them. On the stock flywheel, these holes are ridiculously small and you'll need to turn the flywheel very slowly so you don't overshoot them. I noticed tht the opening on the fidanza i bought was much larger, more like a gap than a hole.

Where is the oil coming from that makes you think it's the oil pan gasket?

darkaudib5
10-09-2008, 10:14 AM
i dont know the oil is just leaking on the oil pan like the back end of it and so im guessing its the oil pan or gasket...what else could it be??

tonelee1316
10-09-2008, 10:58 AM
do u have a 1.8 or 2.8 engine

Jayh922
10-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Hey i have a 1999 audi a4 2.8 quattro, the oil pan was leaking so i sealed it with some rtv along with the original gasket but the thing is that it is still leaking. I checked the valve covers to see if they were leaking and they wernt so i have no idea were the leak is coming from. Can any one help me out please?

tonelee1316
10-09-2008, 07:16 PM
check the cam seals 2.8 have a problem with those

Jayh922
10-11-2008, 09:45 AM
thanks, your the man ill get some one to look at it

darkaudib5
10-11-2008, 10:14 AM
i have a 2.8 and also i already have the pan and gasket i have a 1996 audi a4 non quattro and so yeah its leaking it was small but starting to leak more i it seems to be leaking more to the driver side. and also anyone know the torque setting to the oil pan bolts and is it ok if i use gasket sealer from autozone or is there a special one for audis??

oc-drop
10-20-2008, 09:26 PM
2.8 has a pan w/ gasket
if you see smoke from the oil burning it's probably the cam seals

jtothek
12-06-2008, 02:48 AM
I have a 97 a4 2.8Q 5 spd. I had the same problem with my oil pan leaking so I ordered an oil pan gasket and a new oil drain plug. Replaced those parts by just unscrewing a bunch of alan bolts that hold the bottom of the oil pan on, used sealant, problem solved. just make sure you go back around and tighten all the way around the oil pan because it has a tendency to leak.

akielb
12-08-2008, 06:48 AM
http://justicebrothers.com/images/thumbs/Engine-Stop-Leak.jpg

revbjeff
12-08-2008, 07:30 AM
I just replaced my cracked oil pan there is NO GASKET. Look up Dirko HT it's what the German job where I live told me to use.

It's not hard to change the pan. I did mine in a few hours with only the factory jack and tools. You have to lower the sway bar? thing to get the back bolts. That's the only thing you have to remove besides the oil pan. I have a 00 2.8QM. There are a lot of those little bolts that's a PITA.

Hope I helped.

luism88
12-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Save yourself the headache and time. Get quotes from shops and take the best price. I paid $575 with parts and labor. Good Luck

revbjeff
12-15-2008, 06:22 PM
I paid $280 for the pan and sealing stuff with overnight shipping. Do it yourself it's very easy to do. It's half the price more money for toys!!!

offroader1006
12-16-2008, 05:10 PM
i would use the dealer sealant, just for peice of mind.

make sure you clean both surfaces very well. for those who have done it and it still leaks, it sounds like you didnt get it clean, or mistorqued the bolts.

Profoxcg
12-25-2008, 04:58 PM
hey guys, sorry for "cross threading" but I need some help.

my dad and I are trying to fix my sisters car, 2001 A4. we need to remove the oil pan, I noticed that the subframe gets in the way of accesing some bolts in the rear of the oil pan, how hard is it to drop the subframe, will the engine drop as well can car will stand on its front tires?

I read up top that you have to jack the engine up and remove the radiator?

I am assuming the best thing would be to stand the front of the car on jackstands, take the front wheels off, disconect the front sway bar, then the lower control arms and just take it from there in term of dropping the subframe, provided the engine is not attached to it? or is it?