PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my audi?

DJmuggs
10-06-2008, 03:48 PM
well just like the topic says.. i think iam going to be selling my audi within the next few weeks. im a delivery boy for a local pizza place and have made on average $3-400 per week, which is great for someone in my situation. I drive nearly 400 miles a week with my job and commuting to school (40mile trip daily) and i have come to the conclusion that its in my best bet to sell my 99' audi.

after realizing how many miles i actually put on it a month, it would just be stupid to keep it and keep adding miles to it... by the end of the school year i calculated to have added 20,000 miles which would total the car to about 70,000.

now, i know for a fact 99' audis with 80k+ miles dont sell for very much. but i can still sell mine (44k miles) for at least $9,000 at the point its at right now.

but as much as i love my audi, i think its time for me to let it go and buy a honda =(

Daft
10-06-2008, 03:54 PM
well just like the topic says.. i think iam going to be selling my audi within the next few weeks. im a delivery boy for a local pizza place and have made on average $3-400 per week, which is great for someone in my situation. I drive nearly 400 miles a week with my job and commuting to school (40mile trip daily) and i have come to the conclusion that its in my best bet to sell my 99' audi.

after realizing how many miles i actually put on it a month, it would just be stupid to keep it and keep adding miles to it... by the end of the school year i calculated to have added 20,000 miles which would total the car to about 70,000.

now, i know for a fact 99' audis with 80k+ miles dont sell for very much. but i can still sell mine (44k miles) for at least $9,000 at the point its at right now.

but as much as i love my audi, i think its time for me to let it go and buy a honda =(

You may have low miles but, the truth is that a 1999 A4 is going to only sell for about $6K in a private sale. It's extremely unlikely that you're going to get an extra $3K out of someone just for the low mileage. Unless they're hell bent on mileage under 50,000.

Honestly, you can get a 2000 S4 for that much these days.

Blake260
10-06-2008, 03:57 PM
i just bought my s4 for 7300...but 120K mi.

I jsut dont get why people are afraid to put miles on (ok i do) but you have the car to drive it, not to look at it it would suck to do deliveries in a honda (except the gas milage) the person you sell it to isnt going to baby it, and probably put the same if not more miles on it than you are.

I understand people not wanted to drive in the winter, even though these cars a much better in the snow than most others.

slopoke
10-06-2008, 04:06 PM
If you likeit keep it, Thats damn low milage and will probably treat you well for a long time!

JumboBlack1.8
10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Keep it. Its possibly the worst time to sell a car in this economy.....save your money. Sell it in about a year and upgrade to somethin better than a honda

Stampy
10-06-2008, 04:47 PM
I scored a 93 civiv Si for 700 here on CL that I use as a beater. If you found something cheap like that could you just keep both?

onemoremile
10-06-2008, 04:49 PM
If you have to drive that much and sell your car then what are you going to do all that driving with? You've already got a safe and reasonably economical car that will get you there. What is it you hope to achieve by selling it?

FWIW, the 01 S4 I used as a company car has over 211k miles now. 50k is baby stuff.

VMRWheels
10-06-2008, 04:56 PM
european cars tend to last well over 150k if properly maintained. I've seen Audis, BMW, and MBZ's around 300k no problems.

TMorris
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
this thread isnt even funny muggs[:/]

DJmuggs
10-06-2008, 06:45 PM
great news everyone! the day i contemplate selling my car, i get into an accident on the job when some old lady turns into a parking lot while im in the turning lane. now iam REALLY leaning towards selling the audi, fixing this is gonna cost twice as much as it would for a honda. and this proves my point... i should NOT be driving an audi as a delivery boy.
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2729/s5000574lq7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/s5000574lq7.jpg/1/w800.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img524/s5000574lq7.jpg/1/)

europshhrc279
10-06-2008, 06:49 PM
dont do it..fix it and keep it..trust me!

tdn
10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
If you can get a cheap beater, I'd do that

If not, I agree with you.. sell it. I wouldn't use mine to run deliveries.. so I'm not going to tell you to keep yours.

jojoampt
10-06-2008, 07:19 PM
wont insurance cover that?? my avant has 130k and runs like a fucking top, i plan on driving it till 200k (then do an engine build but still..)

le91688
10-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Dude, just sell it if you want to sell it. Make up your own mind.

DJmuggs
10-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Dude, just sell it if you want to sell it. Make up your own mind.

Yeah, I plan on it.. I just wanted to see some of the reasons why i shouldn't and i knew this was the place to find them. Also driving stick gets annoying when you drive 100 miles in one night, espically when its 90% side roads and rich communities with speed bumps that are destroying my suspension.

le91688
10-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I plan on it.. I just wanted to see some of the reasons why i shouldn't and i knew this was the place to find them. Also driving stick gets annoying when you drive 100 miles in one night, espically when its 90% side roads and rich communities with speed bumps that are destroying my suspension.

ill trade you for my 2.8. Its great for deliveries.

DJmuggs
10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
ill trade you for my 2.8. Its great for deliveries.

haha thanks, i was actually looking for 03-05 jetta, or 04-07 civic.

le91688
10-06-2008, 08:09 PM
haha thanks, i was actually looking for 03-05 jetta, or 04-07 civic.

Still, just keep the damn audi, its nicer than a jetta.

DJmuggs
10-06-2008, 10:41 PM
yeah, its nicer i know that. but thats not the point, i dont need a nice car right now lol... im only 18 and i work for a pizza place. i drive to class 40 minutes a day, i need a reliable cheap hunk of shit...like a jetta!

le91688
10-06-2008, 10:54 PM
yeah, its nicer i know that. but thats not the point, i dont need a nice car right now lol... im only 18 and i work for a pizza place. i drive to class 40 minutes a day, i need a reliable cheap hunk of shit...like a jetta!

are you gonna be a delivery boy your whole life?

biketsai
10-06-2008, 10:55 PM

Lol, its the same car, but with only 2 wheels spinning.
IMO, dont sell your Audi. You almost make it seem like your audi doesnt "deserve" to be put through all of those deliveries.

DJmuggs
10-07-2008, 09:09 AM
are you gonna be a delivery boy your whole life?

lol ... nah just for the next 2-3 years while im in school. thats like 100k+ miles too .

le91688
10-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Like i said, this thread is pretty pointless.
tons of people go to school and work, and drive audis. Do whatever you want.

willowtreexx
10-07-2008, 09:28 AM
You just have to do what YOU want to do! not what we say you should do because in the end, you will always regret not doing what you want to do. Trust me. I sold my corvette because all my friends said to get somethign else and i have never lived down that day when i handed over the keys...

again, do what you are going to be happy with

le91688
10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
You just have to do what YOU want to do! not what we say you should do because in the end, you will always regret not doing what you want to do. Trust me. I sold my corvette because all my friends said to get somethign else and i have never lived down that day when i handed over the keys...

again, do what you are going to be happy with

but we can agree, trading an audi for a jetta (non GLI) is a regrettable decision

willowtreexx
10-07-2008, 09:48 AM
but we can agree, trading an audi for a jetta (non GLI) is a regrettable decision

yes very much so, i would never get rid of AWD

fikes
10-07-2008, 09:59 AM
I know exactly what the problem is here. He is afraid to drive his car. And not in the sense that it will hurt him or he is scared to drive he just does not want to drive a nice car as a DD all the time. I feel the sameway sometimes and drive my moms Volvo around instead, there is no reason for it I just do it because I don't feel like taking mine out. When I come back I realize how pointless it was and feel why do I even buy a car if im going to keep taking my moms out wherever I go. I feel like you should sell it because your never going to stop wanting to until you finally do.

le91688
10-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I know exactly what the problem is here. He is afraid to drive his car. And not in the sense that it will hurt him or he is scared to drive he just does not want to drive a nice car as a DD all the time. I feel the sameway sometimes and drive my moms Volvo around instead, there is no reason for it I just do it because I don't feel like taking mine out. When I come back I realize how pointless it was and feel why do I even buy a car if im going to keep taking my moms out wherever I go. I feel like you should sell it because your never going to stop wanting to until you finally do.

but its an audi, its not a Ferrari

why even buy a car if you dont wanna drive it...

logicfail

willowtreexx
10-07-2008, 11:20 AM

logicfail

The whole point of having a nice car is to drive it, the whole point of getting a BAT is to use the added power, not baby it and never enjoy it. All these things are DEpreciating items that are going to lose value whether we drive them or not. So you might at well enjoy what you have and be greatful that we all can drive audi's. we arent talking about a $100,000 car that if we get a shopping cart pushed into it we can throw a fit.

we only live once in this world, why not enjoy it while we can?

hope that isnt logicfail... haha

tdn
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM

logicfail

This is one of those things that is completely relative. I'd much rather put a ton of miles on some beater than something I think is nice... I love my car for cruising and looking good, but using it for work I'd much rather use a car that is reliable, very cheap to fix, cheap to buy, cheap to insure and much better on gas, while leaving my nicer car all clean and proper.

Some people will agree some will disagree.. it's not wise to use this thread to make this type of decision for you. If you want to sell it, which it seems you clearly do, then sell it.

tdn
10-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Keep it. Its possibly the worst time to sell a car in this economy....

but possibly the best time to buy.

AudiRacerS4
10-07-2008, 12:10 PM
but possibly the best time to buy.

fo sho

DJmuggs
10-07-2008, 02:30 PM
well, i just got a call from the ladie's mechanic and apparently that little "fender bender" i got into is going to cost my insurance $2-3000 bucks... my rates are about to sky rocket.

Ka4
10-08-2008, 12:29 AM
well, i just got a call from the ladie's mechanic and apparently that little "fender bender" i got into is going to cost my insurance $2-3000 bucks... my rates are about to sky rocket.

if she hit you, her insurance pays for it???

you also have failed to respond to getting a 2nd car as a beater.

i deliver pizza in my 5spd audi as well. the only reason i dont like to is cause it only gets like 18mpg. and before this car i delivered in a turbo supra in between buying beaters.

just buy a 1000$ second car like a 91 civic, keep your audi. problem solved. and you cant say you cant afford another car if you were lookin at buying a 04+ civ that would cost more than you could get for your audi. and like said earlier audis arent helllla nice expensive ferraris its just a nice luxurious DD

willowtreexx
10-08-2008, 06:54 AM
i just dont understand how your "little fender bender" costs that much. I needed my fender replaced, lowers painted, new front bumper, new rear bumper and new paint on that stuff and it was going to cost $3,700 and that is at an really good place. I ended up doing it myself...but anyways,

like someone said, you seem to just want to get rid of your audi and looking for excuses to get rid of it. and will find any information to back that theory up.

I have a feeling you already knew you were going to get rid of it before you posted....[rolleyes]

jturnbull
10-08-2008, 09:20 AM
just buy a new door off that guy who is parting his car he is selling all four doors for $100 then just get it painted which i cant imagine costing a huge amount and your set and driving stick is the best thing it makes driving so much fun i dont ever plan on buying an automatic keep the car and drive the thing and love it

Militant-Grunt
10-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I drove around with a crumpled fender until I could get money to fix it. Believe me you're better off fixing it.

maxspeed
10-08-2008, 10:38 AM
a jetta wont come close to the gas mileage of a civic, and thats a fact.

and if she hit you and it was her fault, her insurance pays...

DJmuggs
10-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Like i said, this thread is pretty pointless.
tons of people go to school and work, and drive audis. Do whatever you want.

and like i said, i just want to see what people think about my situation, its not a pointless thread to me, and if it is to you... why bother replying?

Clown4
10-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I don't appreciate your attitude towards being an owner of a beautiful car, or had been.
You're just like those "dog lovers", who bought them when they're some young angelic puppies. And as the costs build up, puppy looks not so angelic anymore, you abandon them. And of course, I know your situation being in a financial difficulty. But, why did you get it in the first place then? As a car enthusiast, I'll hate you for doing so. But as a normal person, financial-wise, you've done a
good decision for yourself :) I mean, you pay less money, and it'll go to a person who can love it (or... junkyard?? nooo....)

I mean, no matter what you drive, you should not have this attitude. Your car serves you, runs for you, protect you from collision. Although you've spent top dollars, a car represents more than just a driving machine.

t1demont1
10-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Its a sign, your car got his becasue it doesnt wanna be sold and it knows it cant be sold all scratched up like that ;) just fix the audi, keep it, and buy a delivery civic. 20k miles sounds like a lot, but keep in mind that the average person puts about 15k miles a year on a car anyways. Your talking about buying a newer car just to put more miles on it, which is spending more money on a car thats value will plumit if its just to put a shit load of miles on it. b5 a4's look nice, but remember you can get a nice one for about 5-6k now in days.

t1demont1
10-08-2008, 04:35 PM
btw your fuckin high to advertise your car for 11k in the classified when theres this for 9500 http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2706&cat=30. I dont know if you havent gotten the message but, b5 A4 - dirt cheap now in days

maxspeed
10-08-2008, 05:16 PM
btw your fuckin high to advertise your car for 11k in the classified when theres this for 9500 http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2706&cat=30. I dont know if you havent gotten the message but, b5 A4 - dirt cheap now in days

for real, you might have payed "audi" price, but you either did that for the car new, or just didnt know anybetter.

eitherway, b5's aint worth jack, modded or not.

tdn
10-08-2008, 05:41 PM
[=(]

oneohone
10-08-2008, 05:58 PM
fo sho

X2 I got my S4 cheap!

biketsai
10-08-2008, 06:06 PM
modded or not.

So true, 01's are dropping into the 7-8s

t1demont1
10-08-2008, 07:03 PM
i know, makes me wish i didnt mod this, and got an 01 and built that. Mafless b5s ftmfw

B5Quattro190
10-08-2008, 07:15 PM
yeah, some dude on here was trying to sell his 01 s4 avant 6spd with 79k for 17900 lol..i blue booked the value on it and it was almost 3500 less than what the guy listed his car for.

Clown4
10-08-2008, 07:48 PM
DJmuggs,
your b5 looks awesome,
and it's obvious that u've been looking after for the engine bay.
Why do you wanna sell it?? think of the time you'll spend in purchasing another car.
And honda won't be better than your b5. Seriously, it looks minty, you should keep it.

t1demont1
10-08-2008, 09:10 PM
yeah, some dude on here was trying to sell his 01 s4 avant 6spd with 79k for 17900 lol..i blue booked the value on it and it was almost 3500 less than what the guy listed his car for.

01 s4 avant 6 speed with less than 80k is rare. Depending on the color, white and nogaro(sp?) sky rocket the price. It also depends if its stg3 or what. ive seen s4s in the 20s and belived its absolutely worth it if you had the money: ex stg3 white avant 6speed with low miles

DJmuggs
10-27-2008, 05:10 PM
well, ive decided to keep the audi... i just cant part with my baby.

also, i couldnt get anything over 7 grand, and every dealership tried ripping me a new ahole

calvin1.8t
10-27-2008, 05:29 PM
my 98 1.8t has 184 thousand on it and its still running great. you should keep it instead of getting a jap car. you can sell it for a 9 and get a crappy car or keep your car for another 150 thousand. if fuel isnt a problem for you then whats the point of selling it. just start saving up for a newer better car. s4 mabey?

tdn
10-27-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't appreciate your attitude towards being an owner of a beautiful car, or had been.
You're just like those "dog lovers", who bought them when they're some young angelic puppies. And as the costs build up, puppy looks not so angelic anymore, you abandon them. And of course, I know your situation being in a financial difficulty. But, why did you get it in the first place then? As a car enthusiast, I'll hate you for doing so. But as a normal person, financial-wise, you've done a
good decision for yourself :) I mean, you pay less money, and it'll go to a person who can love it (or... junkyard?? nooo....)

I mean, no matter what you drive, you should not have this attitude. Your car serves you, runs for you, protect you from collision. Although you've spent top dollars, a car represents more than just a driving machine.

Wow... you just compared some dude who's considering selling his car to someone who abandons a puppy.

holy shit.

Stampy
10-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Damn Muggs. People were really getting in your ass about this. Good choice on keeping the car. I would suggest keeping an eye on your local craigslist too. I have found like five cars for me and my friends for cheap. My 93 SI cost me $700 and to this day is as reliable as ever.

ahaters46
10-27-2008, 08:12 PM
dont sell that shit why would you sell it and they spend the same amount on a newer car that might even have the same miles if you do sell it buy something mad cheep and makes some money

Yevmeister
10-28-2008, 10:17 AM
i have an 99 Avant, i have 2 jobs and i go to school full time
i deliver pizza 2 days per week, and drive to school.

i get a lot of phychological reinforcement driving the car, and it doesn't matter if i use it for deliveries.
I love being in it so i would not want to trade off for anything else.
if your car is good to you, there is no point of selling it, or exchange for potentially problem vehicle.
you can get a beater but you are going to hate it, get a different job, or transfer to school where you don't need to have a transportation, overall economically is the best way to go

Yev