PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use EBC brake pads?

Crisqo
10-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Was looking at their website..
The front pads for 97-2000 are all the same model #....
the pads come with the sensor wires, which my car doesn't have...

Could I just cut them off ?

Opinions on EBC?

MR VTEC
10-11-2004, 10:15 AM
i had them on my integra they need to be warm b4 they start biting hard
but when they bite they bite
with the same amount or little bit less dust than the oem pad.
but i didn't like the warming up thing though

EVIL-AUDI
10-11-2004, 10:15 AM
If you don't have the sensors, don't worry about it. The can just be taken right off.

millerracer
10-11-2004, 10:26 AM
EBC pads come with the available sensor??

I am almost positive you can get the pads w/o the sensor too.. a buddy of mine has had EBC's on all of his cars (sponsor) and he loves them..

Daft
10-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Unfortunately, EBC pads don't last very long. They tend to last half as long (~15K mi.) as the typical pad. They're just too soft.

Crisqo
10-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Hmm...warming up may not be a good thing...
I wwork 5 mins away....wouln't warm up enough to bite well...LoL..

Then I'm probably going to go with Axxis or PBR pads..
Haven't had much luck with MINTEX or Pagid ones...

EVIL-AUDI
10-11-2004, 10:44 AM
I like axxis pads. I have them and find they dust very little and grab great.

Daft
10-11-2004, 10:47 AM
I'll tell you that the PBR Ceramic Ultimates are the best pad I've bought for my A4 yet. They are as quiet as stock, excellent cold bite and fade resistance and have a good life span. The only negative aspect to them is that they are a bit dusty under hard braking.

I bought them from ECS back in the spring. 1000000% better than my squeaky friggin' Mintex pads were.

Crisqo
10-11-2004, 10:49 AM
yea...I just got Mintex a couple months ago....
can't stand them anymore....

one more thing..
does Axxis = PBR ??
are they the same company...just different branding??

Daft
10-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Yes, Axxis and PBR are owned by the same company.

They also used to be called "Repco".

JMG
10-11-2004, 11:10 AM
My EBC's are okay. Bite good, moderate dust, squeaky as fvck sometimes under moderate brakeing. They used to be worse, but have gotten quieter over time. I wouldn't get them again.

Saturnine
10-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Yea, ive had mintex reds and now EBC greens.. They both worked really well, nice grip etc just both seem to be squeeky[rolleyes]

I want to try either the Bobcat pads or maybe the PBR's..

Daft
10-11-2004, 12:54 PM
John, get the PBR pads. You'll be surprised how nice they work.

Crisqo
10-14-2004, 09:02 PM
Hey,

Which type of PBR are better?
Metal masters...or...the other two..forget the names..

bOOOOstedAudi
10-15-2004, 07:23 AM
I have ebc;s and i like them. my cra has a sensor but i just cut it. my pads are lasting pretty long also.

Daft
10-15-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Crisqo
Hey,

Which type of PBR are better?
Metal masters...or...the other two..forget the names..

I went with these:

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi/?html=learnmore.html&productID=2196

I've been extremely happy with them. Had them for 6 months now.

Saturnine
10-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Hmmm.. not bad..

Daft
10-15-2004, 11:16 AM
I think they're $69 with sensors.

needforspd
10-18-2004, 09:48 PM
are sensors needed?

Daft, do the pads you use dust more, less or about the same as stock?

Crisqo
11-02-2004, 06:56 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7931311998&category=33567

Do these look like all the other PBR (Axxis) pads out there??
they seem cheap and local....

pigpen
11-02-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
I like axxis pads. I have them and find they dust very little and grab great. which ones did you have?

I had the metal masters, and they made my rims orange from dust. After I cleaned the rims, the longest I could keep them clean was like 3 days.

g2turbo
11-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Really like the EBC GreenStuff pads except for one thing: SQUEAKY as a teachers chaulk rubbing competition. Ouch.

What i did to "fix" it: abrade the rotors with sandpaper (used a air tool). Voila! Oh....is it okay to use a, shhhh......FRENCH term here?? I mean Freedom Wah!

Anyways, it seems to be working after about a month. I do suspect the next time i drive hard it'll come back again.

Overall: good cold bit-- not as good as OEM; fine by me.
almost no dusting
came with wear sensors-- my car does not use them, however a 86 5000 does.....mmmmm, uhhhh, geez
high temperature of 1000F seems realistic
Pads do tend to "come on" as they warm up, even in medium speed longer duration braking (ie: part throttle style). I don't like to warp rotors so tend to brake longer with less effort. Helps to keep rotors looking smooth, too. This strategy may add to the potentails for squeaks.

I have another set for the rear and will put them on soon as I can find some drilled rotors.

Crisqo
11-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Hard to find decently priced EBC's locally for me.... @_@

JMG
11-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Crisqo
Hard to find decently priced EBC's locally for me.... @_@

pepboyz started carrying them. Good prices

Crisqo
11-04-2004, 04:39 AM
Pepboys...
Seems like a nice place, hear about it a lot on forums, easy access to lots of parts..
Wish they had one up here..

g2turbo
11-26-2005, 12:24 AM
I got the EBC's at Tirerack.com -- on sale too.

Recently got a B6 S4 and will most likely use them again. The OE pads dust really bad, so bad, in fact one sporting drive will turn the wheels a dull black-- rears too!

audi_a4_kid
11-26-2005, 10:54 PM
EBC = weak. They bite more than stock, but not enough on the track. MO with usign them.

UCFQuattroguy
11-27-2005, 09:43 AM
I've been running EBC Greens since about April on my A4. Like how they bite when you've been abusing them. Did an Auto-X on them not too long ago. Did 4 runs back to back with zero fade on A8 front rotors. Definatly dont' like the mid-pressure squeeking though. Would buy them again? Sure...if I don't find anything better

AElucky83
11-27-2005, 09:53 AM
i ran EBC Greens when i had my a4...they worked out great..i didnt race my audi though...i just drove it normaly

boosteda4
11-27-2005, 03:15 PM
I run Hawk Performance Pads and Ive got to say i LOVE EM... they are the shit... ;) maybe Hawk's are another option to consider..

EDIT: And im running them with Brembo cross drilled rotors... they compliment nicely.. the rotor and the compound seem to like each other.. =)

yusoslo
11-28-2005, 10:26 AM
I have the Greens and hate them. Bad cold bite, and terrible fade.

I have no abs on my a4 with 18rs4 reps and new pirrelli pzeros and cannot get the tires to lock up in the rain. I will def go back to the axxis (PBR) ultimates as soon as I can.

I would actually say these pads are a safetly harzard, I slammed on them at 75 and fadded at 30, when I pulled over I could smell the brakes and they where smoldering, roomate driving next to me said the where on fire. that should not happen at those speeds....maybe i have a bad set

onemoremile
11-29-2005, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Daft
I'll tell you that the PBR Ceramic Ultimates are the best pad I've bought for my A4 yet. They are as quiet as stock, excellent cold bite and fade resistance and have a good life span. The only negative aspect to them is that they are a bit dusty under hard braking.

I bought them from ECS back in the spring. 1000000% better than my squeaky friggin' Mintex pads were.

[up] [up] [up] AGREED 100% [up] [up] [up]
they have a much better initial bite than my (much more expensive) carbotech bobcats. i'm very happy with these pads.
i also went with the ceramic ultimates.

the carbotech bobcats weren't nearly as good as the panthers. those kicked ass on the track. still look like new too.

yusoslo
11-29-2005, 11:22 AM
are these PBR ceramic ultimates the same axxis (PBR) ultimates I bought 2 years ago?

Im not worried about brake dust so if they have a non ceramic compound that bites better I am ok with that.

Also my EBC's are cutting my stock rotors, what rotors do you reccommend when I step up to the A8 rotors.

A company called Cobalt friction technologies was the last rotor company I bought from and loved them.

http://www.cobaltfriction.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idProduct=52379