PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air intake?

price
10-05-2008, 07:24 AM
im thinking about buying for a cold air intake....

so what would be the best bulk for my buck. im trying to keep it under or around $100 or so?

i don't want a piece of crap, not really looking for one thats gonna drop my bank account?

i have a 97 1.8t

thanks guy!

A4Rob
10-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Don't do it unless your making over 300HP

biketsai
10-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Like Rob said, it really will not increase your performance at all, im sure the stock airbox is designed to give you more flow.

h4robkr123
10-05-2008, 08:00 AM
I got an EvoMs for 100 in the classifieds, and I didn't notice anything. The only thing you'll get out of an intake on a non-BT car is the spool up of the turbo. The modded stock airbox will be good for up to 300 hp, so don't waste your money.

TheWrightAudi.
10-05-2008, 11:33 AM
i got a k&n cold air from a local parts dealer and it costed me around 80$ but it really doesnt do anything for our cars, i just got it for the sound

A4Rob
10-05-2008, 12:05 PM
i got a k&n cold air from a local parts dealer and it costed me around 80$ but it really doesnt do anything for our cars, i just got it for the sound

Oiled filters are bad. If over-oiled they will coat the Maf

black99.5a4
10-05-2008, 12:07 PM
i completely took the back side of my air box off (cut it cleanly on the side that faces the wheel arch) but didnt cut the wheel arch like a lot of other ppl do, i value my car and we get a lot of weather up here in the northeast.

I will be getting the 'true heat shield', s4 intake bellow and a AEM dry flow filter just to spiff up that side of the engine bay, not really looking to gain much.

you could go that route and have roughly 120-130 into it total, if not less.

TheWrightAudi.
10-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Oiled filters are bad. If over-oiled they will coat the Maf
yea true but thats why ill just air it out with compressed air and never oil it and also if my maf is dirty i could clean it out with some electrical contact cleaner.
cant be tooo bad for it..[confused]

sixfiveoh
10-05-2008, 12:39 PM
I bought a Carbonio just for the clean look/sound of it. It was used local and I figured what the hell. I actually noticed a little bit faster spool time while flooring it in 5th on the freeway but thats about it.

NUISANCE
10-05-2008, 01:00 PM
If you get a custom heat shield and an intake from boosted tech, it should make a bit of a difference. Only thing is, it's out of your budget range.

http://www.boostedtech.com/products.asp

SykoraA4
10-05-2008, 01:46 PM
probably your best bet is to pick up a cone filter (k&ns are known to cause problems, however ive got one, i just make sure its not too oily), clamp it right to the maf, and make a heat shield, or buy the "true heat shield" being sold in the classifieds by a member on here. with that you get the "bov" sound (actually the diverter valve) and a slightly deeper sound, but no noticeable power.

B5A4Kevin
10-05-2008, 06:56 PM
i have the AEM dryflow 5" with 2.75" fitting, stock maf, and the true heatshield from blinktekdesign.com. it is the official site of the guy that sells them on AZ. he does it as a favor to other Audi owners, so there is some lead time with it due to his work/family/hobbies. mine took about 4 weeks to get but it was SOOOO worth it. the dryflow is great cuz it uses no oil at all. you still have to clean it like any filter, but no oil to ruin maf and they say it has better particle filtering than a k&n. i didnt notice much of a hp gain but the sound is awesome. my mpg has actually gone down since i go into boost just to hear the DV. the heatshield works like a charm and is an easy install. it is a MUST if you go the cone filter route. 60 for filter on ebay. 100 for heatshield. totally worth it.