PDA

View Full Version : I know nothing of an exhaust...

Robb12
10-01-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm goin for a good sound on my car, I feel like somewhat of a cheapskate for just going with a muffler with stock pipes. So I am wondering if its even worth it to buy just an aftermarket muffler (if so which one), or if I should just save up and buy a full exhaust system because it'll sound better and improve performance more. I ask because I only have about $300 to spend on this so, I was thinking about just a muffler for now...thoughts??

[confused]

Don Supreme
10-01-2008, 06:08 PM
save up..........

DND
10-01-2008, 06:08 PM
If you just want to make loud obnoxious noise get a cheap muffler.
If you want better performance, especially if you plan to do anything substantial to your car later, get a proper exhaust system with high enough flow to handle what you plan on doing. High flow cat, larger downpipe, larger flex joint, larger piping all the way back, higher flow resonator and muffler (or resonator delete if you prefer).

Seerlah
10-01-2008, 06:16 PM
save up..........

x2

You could save up some more dough and get a used quality exhuast system. I got a resonated Milltek used for $500 shipped and it is $1,100-200 brand new.

Robb12
10-01-2008, 06:23 PM
I was lookin into Milltek's, how do you like it?

Seerlah
10-01-2008, 06:32 PM
I refused to get another exhaust besides the Milltek. I waited (~5) months for a deal to come across, as I refused to pay $1200+shipping for it. And when I found one I was more than pleased (on AZ classifieds). The only exhuast I would have considered other than the Milltek is the APR. I recommend it.

I actually check ebay periodically to see if they have any Milltek exhausts on there to try and give fellow AZ members a heads up. There is currently one for the B7 2.0t on there. If you check it from time to time, they have them for sale.

biketsai
10-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Save up. You wont regret it. But for the time being, if you want a better exhaust sound and alot more power, get a Testpipe or a High Flow Cat

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
10-01-2008, 07:12 PM
MILLTEK...
it has the sweetest tone...
It's low but still audible.

tdn
10-01-2008, 08:45 PM
I've completely fallen in love with my resonated Milltek with a test pipe set up, the test pipe is what perfects it. I heard they no longer make them for our cars though. You can still find them new from a few places, but if you're patient a used one will turn up... could be a while though, and even then, I'm sure you'll have some competition.

what engine do you have?