PDA

View Full Version : All of the sudden, horrible vibration starts + CEL flashing... Any ideas?

nrowensby
09-26-2008, 03:44 PM
1999 Audi A4; 1.8T Quattro; Manual

Okay, I was driving home from work today, when I go to change lanes and start accelerating, I feel a horrible vibration... At about the same time, my CEL starts blinking and I am forced into LIMP mode. Thinking it may have something to do with my ECU (since I have had problems with it in the past) I pull over and stick the stock 557P back in... Still got the vibe, blinky CEL and LIMP mode... Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Seerlah
09-26-2008, 03:49 PM
First thing first. Get your car scanned for codes.

nrowensby
09-26-2008, 03:49 PM
...waiting to get in touch with a buddy with VAG-Com...

biketsai
09-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Did you drive through a puddle of water? Check your fluid levels too

D's Avant
09-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Could be the ecm too... I've had both go bad, ECU and the ecm... Same symptoms you describe for both situations. A scan should confirm if the ecm is bad. May not confirm if your chip is loose/not connected properly. Could be the the chip is loose if the install sodder work was bad.

boostedup
09-26-2008, 05:23 PM
1999 Audi A4; 1.8T Quattro; Manual

Okay, I was driving home from work today, when I go to change lanes and start accelerating, I feel a horrible vibration... At about the same time, my CEL starts blinking and I am forced into LIMP mode. Thinking it may have something to do with my ECU (since I have had problems with it in the past) I pull over and stick the stock 557P back in... Still got the vibe, blinky CEL and LIMP mode... Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

i'd put alot of money on a bad coil pack. you will probably get a "misfire in cylinder" 1,2,3 or 4 code. about 50 bucks at the dealer. all of 2 minutes to change it, easiest job on the car..............

boostedup
09-26-2008, 05:26 PM
...waiting to get in touch with a buddy with VAG-Com...

if you don't own a vag com, they sell the pocket scanners at advanced, or other auto places for under 60 bucks. does the job..........if not they will scan it for you for free.

nrowensby
09-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Okay... I got the car home and started some self-diagnosis since I couldn't get ahold of VagCom and didn't want to drive her in her current condition to a parts store... Started pulling plugs on coil packs... pulled plug 1, car almost shut off... pulled plug 2, no change... 3 & 4 almost shut off... I guess I need a new coilpack for cyl2

boostedup
09-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Okay... I got the car home and started some self-diagnosis since I couldn't get ahold of VagCom and didn't want to drive her in her current condition to a parts store... Started pulling plugs on coil packs... pulled plug 1, car almost shut off... pulled plug 2, no change... 3 & 4 almost shut off... I guess I need a new coilpack for cyl2

so i guess i was right, i've changed all 4 of my coils already, just a heads up, when one goes the others follow suit, and sometimes leave u stranded.

plus i would VAG it and make sure what your code is before you go buying any parts.[wrench]

maxspeed
09-26-2008, 05:58 PM
i'd put alot of money on a bad coil pack. you will probably get a "misfire in cylinder" 1,2,3 or 4 code. about 50 bucks at the dealer. all of 2 minutes to change it, easiest job on the car..............

QFT

boostedup
09-26-2008, 07:26 PM
QFT

qft?

nrowensby
09-26-2008, 07:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QFT

::scratches head:: ???

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
09-26-2008, 08:05 PM
qft isnt that like a pussy fart...
[eek]

boostedup
09-26-2008, 09:38 PM
qft isnt that like a pussy fart...
[eek]

lol queef??

Quit Fuckin Talking
Quite Frankly Truthful
Quit frying turkies
Quit Fondling Tits?

never seen that abbreviation, sorry a little lost[confused][:p]

AudiTurrbo19
09-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Does the car sound kinda like a subie? my car turned into a subie just last week and i checked the coils and the plugs they were all fine. turns out that it was the ignition control module. Just ordered one online earlier today and shell be back to running like a champ in 3 days or less when i get the new part

crono35
09-27-2008, 03:58 AM
Quoted For Truth

Seerlah
09-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Autozone will let you use thier scanner for free. You just need to leave a deposit for the scanner and take it home. After you return it, they give you the deposit back.

nrowensby
09-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Replaced coilpacks and she was still skipping like crazy... Swapped out the ICM and voila... Back up and running like a champ. I finally got ahold of my uncle and he said that the majority of the time, cylinder 2 misfires are the ICM, not the coilpack.... he told me to go ahead and swap the coilpacks and see what happens... he was right, no change. Thanks for everyone's help!

-Nick

maxspeed
09-28-2008, 06:39 PM
lol queef??

Quit Fuckin Talking
Quite Frankly Truthful
Quit frying turkies
Quit Fondling Tits?

never seen that abbreviation, sorry a little lost[confused][:p]

quote for truth....

AudiTurrbo19
09-28-2008, 07:29 PM
what did i tell you...lol

boostedup
09-29-2008, 02:04 AM
would've swore it was the coil-packs. but then again im an 01 so i don't even have the ICM so it didnt even cross my mind. hey but at least you found the problem[wrench][up]