PDA

View Full Version : Reaplacing rear Rotor!

a4t5
10-07-2004, 08:06 PM
OK guys i need some help asap!

Does anyone know the procedure on how to reinstall the rear rotors when replacing them? I already reinstalled the the inner bearing with the seals inside and i installed the seal that goes in the front inside if the rotor. I need to know in which order does the spacer, bearing, and nut go? I tried putting them back on the way i took them off but im not getting anywhere. need help. after i get the nut on im good from there.

This is for a front wheel drive.

SEXIC─N
10-07-2004, 08:17 PM
http://www.importrp.com/catalog.php?subcat=11&year=30&type=21&subcat1=Brake+Rotors&subcat_id=11(www.importreplacementparts.com) Its called import replacement parts and the have a good deal on rotors. I bought my rears for $27/each same as OEM. its a good buy

a4t5
10-07-2004, 08:23 PM
thanks for the post, but i already have the rotors and pads. What i need to know is the order of the inner and outer seals, bearings, and washer, of the inside of the caliper go (in what order).

MikekiM
10-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Going from memory here..

Working from outside in..
Nut, washer, outer bearing, rotor, inner bearing, plastic seal.

Don't forget to transfer the ABS ring over to the new rotor as well.

Also, don't over tighten the nut, you want the rotor to spin freely.
DId you also make sure you pressed in the new bearing races? Those are the outter pieces that come with the bearing, almost like a sleeve. Those get pressed into the rotor for the bearing surface to ride on.

EVIL-AUDI
10-08-2004, 08:05 AM
If it's just the rotors and pads, then you'd just take the caliper off, by removing the 2 bolts from behind it. Then slide that off and remove the carrier assembly aswell. After that a wack of a mallet will knock the rotor right off.

jefferson88
10-08-2004, 11:41 AM
are you just replacing a rotor or a bearing assembly... if its just a rotor you don't need to take the bearing out like evil said.

MikekiM
10-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
If it's jus the rotors and pads, then you'd just tae the caliper off, by removing the 2 bolts from behind it. Then slide that off and remove the carrier assembly aswell. After that a wack of a mallet wil knock the rotr right off.

Sorry evil, that's only on a quattro, not a FWD.

SEXIC─N
10-08-2004, 12:24 PM
what makes it harder on a FWD than what Evil said?

a4t5
10-08-2004, 12:27 PM
thanks guys for the info. I think i might of over tighten the one of the nuts in the bearing assembly, because now when i go over 5 mph and hit the breaks, the brake pedal vibrates like a bitch and you can feel a grind asweel. im gonna have to go back and lossen, because i di remember over tightening it.

MikekiM
10-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Audi_A4_Quattro
what makes it harder on a FWD than what Evil said?
The rear rotors on the FWD are very different than a quattro. The rear rotor integrates the rotor, hub, AND wheel bearings all in one package. In addition, the ABS ring also resides on the rotor itself.

It's a much more difficult job replacing the rotor on the FWD rear than for a quattro.

SEXIC─N
10-08-2004, 01:24 PM
man that sucks, i have a little bit of trouble with my rears, and by the sounds of thing you are going to have more trouble

a4t5
10-10-2004, 01:29 PM
damn it! My car is still making that grinding noise. I dont know what it is. Its not making it as much but it still is making it. I checked the back pads and on of them i put in inside out. And i loosened up the nut in the bearing assembly that i had over tightened before. BUt it is making a grinding noise and i feel it in the brake pedal vibrate bad when i go over 5 mph and break . Need help!

Do u think it maybe because i didnt clean the insides of the rear brake pads with brake cleaner. Is that something i have to do? could that cause it?

a4t5
10-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Now my abs sensor light is on. What does this mean. Does it mean there is something wrong with the front brakes or the rear ones. what do i look at?

a4t5
10-10-2004, 03:30 PM
probem fixed guys [:)] , it turns out that on both rear brake installed the outer brake pads on both sides wrong. The springs on the pads were not on correctly. so i went and checked them and saw it, then fixed it. thanks for the other help though.