PDA

View Full Version : Please help guys

a4rings
10-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Alright i know this guy that is selling a giac chipped ecu for a 2000 a4 1.8tqm, it has programs 91-93 and he wants 250$ and my stock ecu, or 450 just for his ecu. Is this a good deal? because i really want to get it but i dont no if i should. Also i checked and we both have the same # on our ecu, is this just plug and play or will i have to program it or something. Thanks.

audispeed
10-07-2004, 05:56 PM
if the ecu's are the same, you both have the same engine, transmission, and drive system, then it is plug and play. Otherwise, you can change the settings easily enough with a vag-com to make up for a difference in transmissions and maybe even front-trak versus quattro.

audispeed
10-07-2004, 05:57 PM
btw, i would get the whole ecu and not swap yours. That way if you go to the dealer you can swap in your non-chipped ecu. Especially sinice he only wants 200 more.

Chard
10-07-2004, 06:04 PM
that's a good price, considering if you want to chip your ECU it would be considerably more.

On the other hand, I don't really recommend getting the whole ECU. GIAC is a socketed chip so if you want to go back to stock, you can just open up the ECU and take out the chip. I don't really think that's necessary but I guess it depends on your dealer. Sure you'll still see the socket in there, but the dealer would have to open up the ECU casing and the ECU itself, and they'd be SUPER anal if they were to go that far. You're probably out of warranty anyway, so I wouldn't worry about them.

audispeed
10-07-2004, 06:16 PM
chard has a point as well. Just make sure you get the stock chip with the chipped ecu so that you can switch back and forth if you need to.