PDA

View Full Version : switchblade key from ebay

A Foore
10-06-2004, 03:42 PM
I wanna pick up a switchblade key for my 97 and I found some on ebay which are priced pretty good. I've heard some on there are very poor quality. If anyone has experience with ordering one from ebay, can you recommend that seller to me?

yellowaudi24psi
10-06-2004, 04:29 PM
do a search there was a post not to long ago with a couple of links for switchblade keys

A Foore
10-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I already searched.

EugeneK
10-06-2004, 06:55 PM
got mine from ebay.
i just looked and i got mine from username: lemonpro
the key was like brand new, it was advertised as 'used' but it was in a sealed bag and didn't look like thing was even toyed with.
works nicely btw.

WRX2A4
10-06-2004, 07:19 PM
thanks...helps me too
D

WRX2A4
10-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Also, What did you spend, I found some for 47 shipped or so

chrisrunner
10-06-2004, 08:03 PM
got mine for my 97 for 26 bucks off ebay....mine is the switchblade with the two buttons and the panic...you cannot get the trunk to open with the other one so it's kind've pointless.

its about 40 bucks to get it cut at a dealer as they just use a blank key piece...

chris.

A Foore
10-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by EugeneK
got mine from ebay.
i just looked and i got mine from username: lemonpro
the key was like brand new, it was advertised as 'used' but it was in a sealed bag and didn't look like thing was even toyed with.
works nicely btw.

Thanks, that's the same username that I'm thinking of purchasing from. However, the FCC ID of his remote is MZ2 410 819 6 4. The FCC ID on the back of my remote is exactly the same except without the 6. Will it still work?

EugeneK
10-06-2004, 08:59 PM
it'll work.

drewgold
10-07-2004, 12:15 PM
You're the one who was having the problem with greyish smoke on startup right? Did you ever figure out what the problem is? I am having the same problem, maybe we can exchange notes!

A Foore
10-08-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by drewgold
You're the one who was having the problem with greyish smoke on startup right? Did you ever figure out what the problem is? I am having the same problem, maybe we can exchange notes!

Yup. Never figured out what the problem was, but it's only happened once over the past month or so.
This is what I've noticed though...My driveway kinda slants upwards. So when I park straight in (front end being a bit higher than the back), that's when the smoke comes out the next morning. Doesn't always happen, but when I back into the driveway and park, there's no smoke at all. Except just once which happened a few days ago.

drewgold
10-08-2004, 09:53 AM
LOL!!! I can't believe it, I should copy your reply and send it to the dealership! They think i'm crazy. I have noticed the same thing, however I think it doesn't have to do with the slope as much as just backing up when you park. I have found that if I back my car into my driveway (which is perfectly level) It doesn't smoke but if I pull it in I get lots of smoke. I just back into everywhere now to park and there is no smoke. (I'd still like to figure out what the problem is though)

P.S. I'm still waiting for my switchblade key, I'm hoping it will arrive today! I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

Jer
10-08-2004, 02:14 PM
They say they will fit up to a 2000... will they fit an '01 as well??

How much did you guys get them cut for??

A Foore
10-08-2004, 04:34 PM
LOL!!! I can't believe it, I should copy your reply and send it to the dealership! They think i'm crazy. I have noticed the same thing, however I think it doesn't have to do with the slope as much as just backing up when you park. I have found that if I back my car into my driveway (which is perfectly level) It doesn't smoke but if I pull it in I get lots of smoke. I just back into everywhere now to park and there is no smoke. (I'd still like to figure out what the problem is though)

Really? LOL. I wonder how many more others are experiencing this with a 97. Thats really an odd situation. I tried explaining this to my mechanic, but he just looked at me funny. Hmmm? Since we reverse in and there's no problem, would it have something to do with tranny fluid somehow leaking into the exhaust pipe?

P.S. I'm still waiting for my switchblade key, I'm hoping it will arrive today! I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

Did you also order it off ebay from username Lemonpro?

By the way, where abouts in Canada are you?

drewgold
10-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Yeah. I ordered it off ebay from lemonpro. Didn't arrive today though hopefully early next week. I'm from the Calgary area.

Originally posted by ImportRacer
Really? LOL. I wonder how many more others are experiencing this with a 97. Thats really an odd situation. I tried explaining this to my mechanic, but he just looked at me funny. Hmmm? Since we reverse in and there's no problem, would it have something to do with tranny fluid somehow leaking into the exhaust pipe?

Did you also order it off ebay from username Lemonpro?

By the way, where abouts in Canada are you?

drewgold
10-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Is it even possible for tranny fluid to get into the exhaust? I was wondering about the tranny as well because nothing should change with the engine it's self if you go forward or back.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ImportRacer
[B]Really? LOL. I wonder how many more others are experiencing this with a 97. Thats really an odd situation. I tried explaining this to my mechanic, but he just looked at me funny. Hmmm? Since we reverse in and there's no problem, would it have something to do with tranny fluid somehow leaking into the exhaust pipe?

sushi_turbo
10-08-2004, 07:48 PM
FYI I'm selling a switchblady key on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7926731847&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

white fish
10-08-2004, 07:51 PM
so where to get the blanks then??

A Foore
10-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by sushi_turbo
FYI I'm selling a switchblady key on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7926731847&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

That's not the one I'll be needing. Thanks though.

WRX2A4
10-09-2004, 10:49 AM
I ordered a switchblade key from Lemonpro too. Paid 37...not too bad with a blank.
I'll let you know what happens
D

A Foore
10-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by WRX2A4
I ordered a switchblade key from Lemonpro too. Paid 37...not too bad with a blank.
I'll let you know what happens
D

Is yours also a 97? If so, did you compare the FCC ID on the back of your original remote to the one posted by Lemonpro?

WRX2A4
10-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Mine is a 2000 key I think. I'm not worried about the FCC ID, it will be compatible.

D

TheEZest
10-10-2004, 07:47 PM
guys...you know you don't have to go pay to get your new keys cut if you buy the remotes with blank keys from lemonpro. or for that matter you don't even need to buy blank ones from lemonpro if you want to save money....you can buy ones that are already cut.

if you still have your old switchblade and are just replacing it cus its broken or worn or whatever then you can take the metal key part off and put it on the new remote. there is a pin at the base of the metal part that just goes through it and holds it on. stick something small in there and push really hard and you should be able to push the pin out. then just pull on the metal part and it will slide right out. do the opposite to put your old cut key onto your new remote.

Jer
10-10-2004, 08:30 PM
I think that some of us are doing it because we only have one key/switchblade and want or need a spare.

WRX2A4
10-11-2004, 09:21 PM
ditto

thanks though
D

Originally posted by Jer
I think that some of us are doing it because we only have one key/switchblade and want or need a spare.

TheEZest
10-11-2004, 11:36 PM
aight cool...just wanted to let everyone know. i just bought one cus my current one falls apart all the time.

sexybluea4
10-12-2004, 12:12 AM
I bought my Audi used and it didn't come with a switchblade key. I was thinking about ordering one from the dealarship but now i've stummbled upon this thread. I didn't know you could just buy used key and it'd work for your car. I'd like to buy a switch blade but i have no idea what the FDD IC would be since my car didn't even come with a switchblade remote. Can anybody help me out with this? I drive a 2000 A4 1.8tq manual sedan if this helps. Thanks.

WRX2A4
10-12-2004, 08:33 PM
You can get just about any switchblade key programmed for your car as I understand. I got mine today in the mail and it is amazing. It is the new 2002 style switchblade with the flat buttons. Looks great and was cheap from lemonpro. 2 day shipping.
D

A Foore
10-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by sexybluea4
I bought my Audi used and it didn't come with a switchblade key. I was thinking about ordering one from the dealarship but now i've stummbled upon this thread. I didn't know you could just buy used key and it'd work for your car. I'd like to buy a switch blade but i have no idea what the FDD IC would be since my car didn't even come with a switchblade remote. Can anybody help me out with this? I drive a 2000 A4 1.8tq manual sedan if this helps. Thanks.

My car's a 97 and it doesn't come with a switchblade. Check the back of your current remote for the FCC ID.

sexybluea4
10-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Check the back of what remote? The only key that my car came with was the spare key which has no remote. Just a plain old key. Is there any other place to find the FCC ID? Thanks

A Foore
10-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by sexybluea4
Check the back of what remote? The only key that my car came with was the spare key which has no remote. Just a plain old key. Is there any other place to find the FCC ID? Thanks

Not sure where else you would find the FCC ID. Maybe ask the dealership.

WRX2A4
10-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Got the key cut today at the dealership $5.95. Not bad at all
D

A Foore
10-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Got the key cut today at the dealership $5.95. Not bad at all
D

what year's your car? If you ordered from Lemonpro, did the FCC ID match?

WRX2A4
10-14-2004, 12:23 PM
car is 2001. The FCC ID doesnt match I dont think
The remotes are different. One has the bulgy lock and sunk in unlock, the other has the flat lock and unlock.
D

Jer
10-14-2004, 12:30 PM
I don't think the FCC ID matters, does it??

Daft
10-14-2004, 03:38 PM
As long as it's a two button (lock/unlock) remote, you should be fine.

I bought one recently and it just arrived today. It's brand new with a blank in it. I just have to get it cut now. I have a feeling that the dealer is going to charge me alot. They wanted $60 just for the blank. What a ripoff. I paid $60 for the whole damn switchblade.

A Foore
10-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Daft
As long as it's a two button (lock/unlock) remote, you should be fine.

I bought one recently and it just arrived today. It's brand new with a blank in it. I just have to get it cut now. I have a feeling that the dealer is going to charge me alot. They wanted $60 just for the blank. What a ripoff. I paid $60 for the whole damn switchblade.

I'm assuming you have a 97 also? If so and if it's not too much trouble, can you compare the FCC ID on your original remote to the switchblade one? Also, did you order it off ebay from Lemonpro?

Daft
10-15-2004, 07:35 AM
No I have a 1998.5 that already has the switchblade key setup.

I was only replacing my current remote because it's worn out.

I got my remote from a guy in Canada. It's in perfect shape:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7926089997

WRX2A4
10-15-2004, 02:00 PM
I got the remote from lemonpro. I believe it was from a 2002. It was the new version of the remote. I am not sure if the FCC ID matters because the dealership programmed it for free (warranty) and when they did it they gave me a new key to match the one I bought from lemonpro. I dont know if they did it to match the FCC IDs in the 2 remotes, or if they were just being nice. Also, My key from lemonpro was 42 shipped and 6 to get it cut by the dealer...in case you are in the market.

D

Jer
10-15-2004, 02:25 PM
I got the remote from lemonpro. I believe it was from a 2002. It was the new version of the remote. I am not sure if the FCC ID matters because the dealership programmed it for free (warranty) and when they did it they gave me a new key to match the one I bought from lemonpro. I dont know if they did it to match the FCC IDs in the 2 remotes, or if they were just being nice. Also, My key from lemonpro was 42 shipped and 6 to get it cut by the dealer...in case you are in the market.

D

If only our dealer would cut them for only $6. I think they wanted like $40 or some crap like that. Eesh.