PDA

View Full Version : Can I pull this from the intake path? Silencer?

4A Play
09-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Recognize this? Has anyone pulled it? Will it effect intake noise? Mileage? Anything?

Im just worried that it is needed to make the desired air flow.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/0aaf8b0146.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

EDIT: Leave the tube, pull the grille from the intake path.

J Ozzie
09-11-2008, 03:41 PM
pull it as in remove the grill type shit... i dono if that would cause much of a difference... but give er..mine doesdnt have it

20vpower
09-11-2008, 03:43 PM
why wouldnt you want that? it gives air a pathway to your airbox/intake

4A Play
09-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Sorry, yea pull that honeycomb pattern shit out. Leave the OEM air tube.

Seerlah
09-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Mine does not even have that honey comb designed insert. I would assume it is in there to keep the structure of the snorkel, but it would not effect it as mine does not have it. But it also sags a bit. Maybe it wouldn't if it had that insert.

To answer your inquiry, it would not effect air flow to the intake. But I would recommend to keep it in there as it holds the 2 joints more solid.

andyrew
09-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Pulling that out will make absolutely no difference whatsoever. There is relatively no restriction there. So, dont bother.

You want better? take a 1-2" holesaw and cut holes in the front of the lower portion of your airbox. And get a proper heat shield.

done.

Devious27t
09-11-2008, 05:06 PM
that is a flow straightener and while i dont really thing it will effect MAF readings too much, I dont think it hurts to leave it there.

djwimbo
09-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Mine has been removed. Made no difference. I leave my stock intake in b/c it makes the car appear more stock.

What did make a difference was modding the stock airbox. I took my 90* die grinder and cut out all the ribs in the air box and modded the MAF inlet horn. Then I opened up the lower front portion of the air box to pull air from in front of the wheel and behind the bumper area.