PDA

View Full Version : Need some Help (info)

drlandry00
09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Hey boys,

Its been a while since I have been on. But a friends 98 A4 1.8t is in need of some help.

There is a grinding, fast rattling noise coming from the front passenger side of the engine compartment- so I figured it was the turbo going. However after some close inspection, I noticed that the noise would go away if you turned the a/c or defroster on. (when you engaged the compressor). So I did a few more checks and it seems like it might be the A/C compressor. Funny thing is that the a/c still works. (if you rev the car, the rattling is there, until you turn the a/c on) I dont think the turbo would do that if it was bad.

What do ya think. I have already searched the topic and there isnt much. If you do think it is the compressor- is this the right one?

997 - 2001 Audi ~ Volkswagen Air Conditioning : Compressor
[MediumImageHyperLink]
Weight: 17.0 lbs
Manufacturer: AC Parts House
Remanufactured Compressor
Zexel DCW17D - 4 Groove Clutch 4.75" Diameter, 1.95" Gauge Line - 8D0-260-805D
Part # 61416

List Price: $335.21
Your Price: $254.36

Thanks boys!

Cheers,
Dave L.

MattzWarsteiner
09-01-2008, 08:59 PM
It sounds like the clutch assembly is bad. I would check out the serpentine belt tensioner first though.

For a 98 1.8T, the OEM part number 8D0-260-805D, matches what I have.

drlandry00
09-02-2008, 08:45 AM
The serpentine belt- is that the thinner belt on the lower driver side? Because that belt was fairly loose. But figured that was another problem, as that belt isnt even close to the a/c compressor and the noise.

Also, there is a fairly big tensioner on the upper middle of the front of the engine-- i believe that is the main belt tensioner- that thing is on a funny shaped arm- and it sort of bounces around with the movement of the belt- is that right?

Thanks for the reply..[up]

Cheers,
Dave L

TQMB5
09-02-2008, 09:13 AM
wow haven't seen you on here in a while, pretty sure i bought your k04 and exhaust from you a long time ago... the tensioner is not suppose to jump around when idling, check to make sure its on their tight.

drlandry00
09-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Yea- its been a while- I now drive a 08 Chevy Silverado- So I am not to into the Audi's anymore.

I will look into the tensioner-

Is there any way I can check to see if it is the compressor that is bad?