PDA

View Full Version : Which Stage 1 ECU is best for '99? APR? GIAC? Revo? Dalhback

nytoy
08-27-2008, 10:41 PM
I thought I saw a thread comparing dyno #'s but now I can't find it, I have been searching for DAYS! I know they are all pretty much the same, but I thought I read the GIAC was setup for only 91 octane, since I have 93 here, I figured it'd be better to have the extra tweak. I haven't been able to find any numbers for the Revo and Dalhback chips.

speedydragon
08-28-2008, 01:17 AM
search :] potato chips ftw xD

GetBoosted84
08-28-2008, 04:06 AM
New Member Guide -> http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113728

Start There

nytoy
08-28-2008, 05:50 AM
New Member Guide -> http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113728

Start There

Read that, it still seems for the nDBW cars there is a difference in tuning, APR's site claims 46hp / 80tq while GIAC claims only 50/50 and everyone says GIAC is supposed to be more aggressive. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience.

Seerlah
08-28-2008, 05:54 AM
CTapp

Russell2686
08-28-2008, 06:55 AM
CTapp

EDIT: Sorry Seerlah

OP get whatever man its all the same shit. Its still slow but a ton better then stock. This has been discussed about 16 times a month for so long. Everyone has a different opinion. Just get whats closest to you or whatever is cheapest in the classifieds.

EDIT: BTW my giac file was 93 oct. APR has the 91 file

Kinderliving
08-28-2008, 07:05 AM
I just tested the REVO in my 00 1.8T and loved it...and for what I read on Vortex REVO is the way to go!

Seerlah
08-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Dude he said stage 1 tuning. This is strike 2 for you.[rolleyes]

OP get whatever man its all the same shit. Its still slow but a ton better then stock. This has been discussed about 16 times a month for so long. Everyone has a different opinion. Just get whats closest to you or whatever is cheapest in the classifieds.

EDIT: BTW my giac file was 93 oct. APR has the 91 file

I have stage 1 Ctapp flash on my k03s. Strike one for you.

To the OP, go CTapp or Unitronics so if you decide to go BT in the future you have great software to upgrade with. GIAC is also a good upgrade up to a GT2871r. But it only applies for the 2001 cars.

Nebone
08-28-2008, 09:26 AM
GIAC now has a flashable 93 octane file for drive by cable cars like yours. My buddy got it at waterfest and it took like 10 minuts to flash. Go with that.

AudiRacerS4
08-28-2008, 09:37 AM
i would go with either Unitronic or GIAC

Seerlah
08-28-2008, 09:39 AM
I have come to learn that the rule of thumb for the B5 (performance wise) is to go with the GIAC chip/flash. But many would say just go with what is closer (APR, MTM, Revo, etc). All are good chips, but the reviews for the GIAC on the B5 are just way better than the rest. Minus the Dahlback for the 2001 (k03s).

And if you plan on going bigger than a GT28RS, then go either CTapp or Unitronic (you can just upgrade with them for a few extra hundred).

Nebone
08-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Or you can just sell your current software and get something new.

sixfiveoh
08-28-2008, 10:48 AM
You know, I've heard from a few people that the extra spike GIACX gives you is actually really bad for the turbo and can lead to premature failure. Not only that but it's pushing the turbo out of it's efficiency range and isn't good for much more than the extra little rush you feel when you spike 21psi.

I'll be going with either APR or Uni, at this point I really can't decide... I like APR products, and like the shop that distributes them (plus I could say I'm APR Stage II! [:p]), but am considering Uni in the case that I go BT in the future. I can't imagine their Stg 1 programs are much different from eachother?

Russell2686
08-28-2008, 10:58 AM

To the OP, go CTapp or Unitronics so if you decide to go BT in the future you have great software to upgrade with. GIAC is also a good upgrade up to a GT2871r. But it only applies for the 2001 cars.

does CTAPP have Stage 1 tuning for a 99 or just 00-01 OP was asking about a 99? Giac just started flashing NDBW ecus, are you saying CTAPP can also flash a NDBW ecu?

maxspeed
08-28-2008, 11:44 AM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5zmEXJVOXq4/R9qwzvum7XI/AAAAAAAABi8/Mu0zKVWkn8I/q1.jpg

NightRoller USP
08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
I personally like apr but like stated before they are all pretty comprable to eachother

nytoy
08-28-2008, 01:14 PM

Interesting, I've never hear of the CTapp, what are the proposed #'s? Website?

nytoy
08-28-2008, 01:19 PM
You know, I've heard from a few people that the extra spike GIACX gives you is actually really bad for the turbo and can lead to premature failure. Not only that but it's pushing the turbo out of it's efficiency range and isn't good for much more than the extra little rush you feel when you spike 21psi.

I'll be going with either APR or Uni, at this point I really can't decide... I like APR products, and like the shop that distributes them (plus I could say I'm APR Stage II! [:p]), but am considering Uni in the case that I go BT in the future. I can't imagine their Stg 1 programs are much different from eachother?

The GIACX is only for DBW cars, I'm DBC.

I've heard good things about GIAC as well, especially that they just starting flashing the older cars where as before you had to put a physical chip in it.

I spoke with AWE and they seemed really nice and told me the GIAC flash was last updated like 6 months ago which sounds good to me. It shows they are working towards refining it. I wish there was a stage 1+ or Stage 2 for stock turbo'd cars with TBE's and intercoolers, etc. I can't remember if they can disable the p420 cel you get with running a test pipe.

Seerlah
08-28-2008, 01:38 PM
In reply to Russell2686, I do not know if they have software for the DBC. So to the OP, might want to give them a call and see what they say. Here is a link to thier site. (http://www.eurodyne.ca/TappAuto/) He has a distributer in Queens, that is where I got mine from. But if he does not do tunes for the 99, then I would go with Unitronics. Do whatever you want. I went with CTapp bc I want to go BAT later on and the upgrade is $250 extra.

Nebone
08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
It's just stage 1 software which differes by like 5hp and 2 psi; big deal. Go with a reliable one like APR or Giac and enjoy a somewhat quicker car. Find a dealer near you who can flash your car with GIAC or you'll have to send your ECU out.

Another choice you have is buy a used chipped ECU and buy it or trade your estock ECU plus money.

Seerlah
08-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I was just trying to imply if he ends up getting the mod bug, like I did then his options are greater. But if all he wants is a flashed/chipped k03, then ideally he should go with whatever is closest. If I was not planning on going past stock turbo, I would have gone GIAC, Dahlback, or Unitronics. All are within an hour drive from me, so not too much of a burden.

But CTapp does indeed sell software (stage 1) for the DBC cars. Just checked thier site. Link. (http://www.eurodyne.ca/products/audi/1996-1999-A4-1-8T-B5-DBC.html) As I said, do what you want. I personally would decide how far I want to upgrade my vehicle and go from there. And that is what I did and ended up going with CTapp.

nytoy
08-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I get it, and agree, I know I will get bored of just chipped and go either K04 or stage 2 for a little while, then III+ or BT.

bass_lover1
08-28-2008, 11:42 PM
The best would be to go with a company that has local support. This way, if a problem does arise with your chip, you have someone local that can help you out, instead of having to send out your ECU and wait a few days before you can drive again.

If there's more than one company, flip a coin.

nytoy
08-29-2008, 07:23 AM
hmm I'm leaning towards GIAC since AWE is in PA and im in NY

Seerlah
08-29-2008, 07:29 AM
You need to go to the homepages of the tune you choose and see where is thier closest distributer. If you plan on going GIAC, you should also check the classified section in various places that has previous owners selling thier ECU with the flash/chip. Ebay has them all the time. You could also check the AZ classified and Fourtitude.

Example (http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=20&stype=1&si=giac&perpage=12&sort=1&stype=&limit=&cat=20&ppuser=)
Example 2 (http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerosearch)(I noticed that it brings you to the search page. type in "GIAC" in the search and scroll down to a4,s4,rs4 B5 classified subforum. edit:upon closer observation, I see you already did)

And if you don't want to go that route, check this map (http://www.giacusa.com/dealermap/) for closest dealer. AWE is just one distributer out of many.

Edit: Ok, I got bored and felt like searching for the closest GIAC distribiuter for you. It is not that far from you in Cheektowaga, NY. Here's a link to thier website. (http://www.blackforestmotorsport.com/Welcome.html)