PDA

View Full Version : I Need Rational Excuses to Mod...

fanuvbrak
10-04-2004, 09:06 AM
I've posted here a few times before, but I feel like I should introduce myself:

My name's Steve, I live outside of Philly, and my signature pretty much says it all.

The thing is, I'm probably older than most of you guys by 10 to 15 years. I do remember when I was in my 20's and I had a '72 El Camino that I would pour all of my money into.

Now that I'm older, I make more money than I ever thought I would. But I spend more money, too, so I'm probably on a tighter budget than I've ever been on (maturity sucks). I have three kids (the oldest is 13 and will inherit this Audi when he's 16) and a wife who does not understand why I need to mod this car.

This is where I need your help:

First, in what order should I mod? This is a completely stock '99 A41.8TQ with Tip. It has 15" wheels with brand new (had a flat after two days of ownership) Bridgestone Potenza's.

And, I need rational, well thought out reasons on why I need these mods. The GIAC chip, for instance is not to boost horsepower, but to increase gas mileage...get it? Brembo brakes are for safety.

Sorry for the length of the post, but you're all very knowledgeable and I look forward to learning from you.

Thanks.

BoostTed
10-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Ecodes and HIDs are for safty reasons, gives you better visabiliy at night when you are driving the family around

wheels and tires are for teh extra traction.

tint to block out all the harmfull UV rays.

Zodiak
10-04-2004, 09:17 AM
upgraded suspension to give you more agility and control to help avoid accidents and road hazards

nizmosx
10-04-2004, 09:24 AM
stage 3 kit because your neighbor with an m3 is talking shit. hahaha

fanuvbrak
10-04-2004, 09:31 AM
okay. so i need the stage three to avoid going to jail for beating the sh*t out of my neighbor...it's crazy enough that it just might work!

yellowaudi24psi
10-04-2004, 09:48 AM
you can chip it and she wont even know . most women are oblivious. you can do a suspension upgrade and she probably wont notice. if she does then use one of the excuses above.

PDX-Mike
10-04-2004, 09:50 AM
You need to chip it, to have an easier time merging onto the freeway. [:D]

A4 in SC
10-04-2004, 09:56 AM
If your SO is anything like my wife, she may not notice the increase in performance, but she'll certainly miss the money in the checking account... [;)]

There are a variety of reasons, and you can twist them any way you'd like.

For instance, we all know shocks do not last forever, and when you replace them, why not go with something that is a little cheaper and will outperform the stockers? It'll certainly help you in panic situations. Remember, most everything that can be modded can be related to safety somehow. You just have to be creative!

DRA4
10-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Suspension is first, get a nice set of sport springs and sport shocks and you set to go, the car will ride like it is on rails, you could put race springs too, but you have a big family.

MR VTEC
10-04-2004, 10:55 AM
you can tell her the car is not driving right and your going to take it to get a "tune up" and chip it "tuning up". [:D] Then tell her see all the car needed was some maintianence.
Then when you're ready for the springs the car is way to bouncy baby, struts and springs. rims i don't know how you will pull those off, maybe treat yourself xmas time or around your birthday.

Oh by the do you always lie to your wife? [:p]

Audimarc
10-04-2004, 10:57 AM
The devil made you do it.

It will save your marriage - your car becomes the other woman, takes all urges to cheat right out of the system.

fanuvbrak
10-04-2004, 11:17 AM
these aren't, technically, lies. but if it came down to me buying a $400 chip or her putting that $400 towards the home equity, I don't have much of an argument unless I lie.

and I am willing to lie for this car...

A4_Andre
10-04-2004, 11:57 AM
tell her u need a body kit so it's more aerodynamic which results in less wind resistance which gives u better gas mileage which is good for u and the earth.

derek2079
10-04-2004, 12:39 PM
i would just explain to her that cars need to be maintained. and this is just part of taking car of the car and say things go bad after a while and say like things went wrong and whynot spend a lil more money and just get somthing that will last longer and work better than the original part since our son will have this car soon

pigliiit
10-04-2004, 12:48 PM
i'd break the belt out and give her a what-for. my wife's the same way, i just tell her its none of her business. you make it, you spend it.

p.s. i love brak too.

DarkkstaR
10-04-2004, 04:39 PM
"I have the dick, I make the rules."

Rieger_RS4
10-04-2004, 05:11 PM
drill a hole in the stock exhaust and say you need a new one. LOL

disconect a vac line and say the turbo blew...and get a K04

hids for better visibility at night

......etc.......I can go on forever.

Spam-N-Rice ETR
10-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Tell her:

A chip will help you/her merge onto the freeway safely.

Upgraded brake components will help you/her stop sooner in an emergency.

The suspension needs to be replaced because it's already bad or will go bad when the warranty period has lapsed (if there is a warranty). Driving on bad suspension is unsafe because it can make the vehicle dangerously uncontrolable during an emergency manuever.

When the catalytic converter breaks at the flange (common problem) and makes an awful noise, tell her you need to replace the entire exhaust system. The reduced weight of the new exhaust system is an added benefit because it will help improve gas mileage.

audlman
10-04-2004, 06:51 PM
tell her you need a CF hood because its looks better.

sparco racing seats for better stabilty while driving, when resulting in better driving...

slap an EVO intake in there, she'll never know the difference.

m3 mirrors for better visibility, lol...

who knows, just some random thoughts...

WRX2A4
10-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Buy everything for her...look honey...I got you a custom T3/T4 turbo setup for our anniversary...enjoy!

MNQuattroGuy
10-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Thats ehat I want!

A4 in SC
10-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Not that I live by this, but remember -

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!

[:D] [:D] [cool]

kassper
10-04-2004, 10:16 PM
4pt seats belts to stay strapped in

WRX2A4
10-04-2004, 10:26 PM
while youre at it, a 62 inch TV so you dont strain your eyes, a new gas grill so you dont get salmonilla, a new rolex so you are never late....the list can go on and on...it works great until she starts doing the same thing
D

derek2079
10-04-2004, 10:36 PM
god this is sad. if you are paying for this i dont know why she would give you shit. one reason i dont want to get married =/

fanuvbrak
10-05-2004, 05:27 AM
I can tell approximately what age bracket each of you are in by your responses:

Under 20: "Just do it, you're the boss." - Okay, that's not true. We're not the boss until there's a spider in the basement or the Hot Water Heater goes out. Anyone who's married and says he IS the boss is either lying or (and this is sad) doesn't even know he's not the boss.

20 - 30: Very creative lies. - They know who the boss is, but still think you're smarter than your SO. You're not.

Over 30: Weary acceptance. - You know you're not the boss, you've never been the boss, and you'll never be the boss.

I think the best and most practical response so far has been: "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is permission."

It worked when I bought my guitar and amp. It'll work for a chip.

Thanks.

Audimarc
10-05-2004, 05:44 AM
fanuvbrak - So true, so true! As I wearily sit here at my computer, I've just ordered a new exhaust for the car. I'll get her flowers when the bill comes!

blacka4
10-05-2004, 06:02 AM
yea I am really not in this situation but I can see where you are coming from. buy it and ask for forgivness afterwards. diamonds always work.

pigliiit
10-05-2004, 09:00 AM
sorry fan, you read us wrong. were the ones that dont let ourselves get pushed around by a woman. ever walked down a street, there's a million of em, i'm not sticking with one that's "the boss". seriously, buy some balls first, then get a chip.

skene
10-05-2004, 09:24 AM
I dont know what to tell you....

I gave my SO an exhaust system.... ;)

fanuvbrak
10-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by pigliiit
sorry fan, you read us wrong. were the ones that dont let ourselves get pushed around by a woman. ever walked down a street, there's a million of em, i'm not sticking with one that's "the boss". seriously, buy some balls first, then get a chip.

To each his own. You'll be very happy when you're 60:

Just you, your car, the 50 cats, and a stick that you shake at those "crazy, young whippersnappers."

SoleMate
10-05-2004, 11:06 AM
the wife will probably not notice anything besides rims. If you can talk her into the rims, you can probably sneak the chip, suspension, ecodes/HIDs, short shift, and other minor stuff by and have one nice ride to hand off to your kid.

A4 in SC
10-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Actually, I've always been a 'car guy' and could NEVER leave anything stock. My wife knew that when she married me, and 'tolerates' my obsession. She knows I will do anything I have to, to get what I want. Now it's come down to budgeting in the things I want, the things she wants, the things my Daughter wants (comes first most of the time) and then what we all want. Heck, after all of the bills are paid, it takes a while to budget in 'big boy toys'.... [;)] It certainly happens though! Like when I bought my wheels - it was fairly easy - I needed to replace the tires on my Avus wheels, and told her that I'd rather get the 18 wheels and tires at the same time instead of spending money on tires, and then doing it again later.

My wife and I have been together 19 years now, so she kinda' knows me (good and bad), and I certainly know her. It's a wonderful thing! I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Good luck. Hopefully this isn't a 'new found' interest, so she knew it was coming. It's up to you to rationalize your purchases.

(Damn, I sound like an old fart, 'don't' I?!?!?!)

Mike

fanuvbrak
10-06-2004, 05:27 AM
Thanks, everyone. This has been entertaining to say the least. My wife isn't that bad...she just questions my desire to buy a chip over groceries (as long as it doesn't cut into the beer budget, groceries are secondary, don't you think?)

What I was really after, though, was what order to mod. After looking at prices and my budget, this is where I'm going:

GIAC Boost Chip and Bailey Diverter Valve - This month
GIAC Tip-Chip - November
Timing Belt Replacement - December/January (this is the worst Christmas gift ever)
Wheels and Tires - March
Sport Suspension - April/May (I'm looking at the bilstien/H&R combo listed on AWE's website.

Then I'm pretty much done. I'll do clear corners and sidelights as I get a chance, but I want it to look pretty much stock.

Thanks again,
Steve

A4 in SC
10-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Sounds darned good to me! I wish I could have that kind of an 'allowance' every month! Umm, I guess it's good I don't. I'm not one to leave well enough alone...

How many miles are on your car? If it's over 60K, I'd suggest going with the timing belt (and water pump and tensioner) change first. I did, and don't regret it at all. I also did my suspension next, as I wanted it to handle better before I went faster. Don't forget about a good set of brake pads either. You want to stop before you can go, right?!?!!

You mod list looks great though!

Let us know your impresssions when you get them. I seriously don't think you'll regret it at all. See if you can hook up with Skene and get a ride in his. At least that'll give you an idea of what an extra 50 hp and and extra 85 lb/ft of torque really is. Very intoxicating, to say the least...

Mike

Moops
10-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Earn the money or at least part of it yourself.

Nothing like the desire for a new mod to get the creative juices flowing to think up a way to get some additional income; garage sale or ebay old stuff you don't need, do an odd job for a small business, start an investment account.

My goal is to fund 50% with money that comes from somewhere other than my normal salary...once I hit that my wife rarely complains....