PDA

View Full Version : For all S4 lurkers, and A4 Owners!

A4orce84
10-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Hey Guys,

So I've been researching some stuff for my friend because he was looking into getting an S4, and when looking through the archives I've stumbled upon some A4 vs S4 stuff that went on back in the day. I stumbled onto some musings like

1.8T vs 2.7T from ol SameerP:
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/794923.phtml

And other posts comparing A4 and S4, which is better etc. Now before I say anything, I just want to say I'm not re-starting the war or a big debate, just my own 2 cents, and what conclusions I'm drawing. They could be different a few months from now, but at this very second is what is going on in my head. Now right now I'm a poor college kid, but I always thoguht after college I would like to own an S4. But now I think my views have changed. I've read how basically (I already knew this one) but basically both the A4 and S4 are basically the same car. Besides different engine, side moldings, and front and rear bumper stylings we're looking at a souped up A4 aka S4 =)

Reading Sameer's post reminded me that the 1.8T is a very powerful engine, while being a little rough compared to the 2.7T is it still a good performer. But one of the things that worried me mainly about the S4 were the turbo issues. I know alot of people say just don't do any engine mods, and you'll be okay. Well I've read that even stock S4's have blown turbos, but face it, we all hang out here in Audiworld and Audizine, we are all going to get pressured and have "itch" for some more speed. So we chip and run a good % risk I feel with the S4 turbos...I believe RKA said in an earlier post he feels the turbo's went out on S4's because of the small engine space. Basically sticking the 2.7T in an enviroment where the 4 cylinder 1.8T is comfortable = alot more heat. While A4's 1.8T is pretty much a bulletproof engine, especially since our block's were originally designed for a diesel design. One positive for the A4.....

And now a new factor I didn't really think about until I started researching was the weight of the S4 is alot more than A4 1.8t....while the obvious difference between that is gas mileage a big factor, I never really thought about handling. Yes I know you can slap some coilovers on the S4 and it will handle well, but it seems that people who went from A4 ---> S4 always commented on how they miss the lightweight,docile, tossible nimbleness of the A4 especially from the frontend.

That being another + for the A4....as well as that a stage 3 A4 is quicker than a stage 2 S4. While I believe I read Stage 3 A4 was about 280HP and ur looking at Stage 2 S4 at around 300HP, I believe the weight issue came in again making the A4 quicker. (someone want to confirm?) This without really risking, at least in my opinion, too much. Stage 3 A4 safer reliability wise more so than Stage 2 S4? At least thats the kind of feeling I get from reading everything on both boards.

My final point is that it costs alot more to fix and mod an S4 that an a4. Some of the mod's I have seen fo the s4 are nearly double the cost of the same for the a4, while some of you may have steady incomes, I think that it would be alot of cash. I read some people said they feel better putting $10K into a $25K A4, rather than $10k on a $40k S4. While these numbers were both when each car was new, and now you can get A4's and now S4's for under 20K I don't know how much value that statement still holds.

But basically what I am trying to get at, is that I am not putting S4's down, or putting A4's up. It's just that I feel alot of people on here are diving A4s until they have enough for an S4. I was in fact one of them, but now after reading this I am not so sure anymore. Maybe I'll look into getting a 2001 A4 1.8T as DBW technology seems to be promising with APR and other companies slowly. Or maybe find another 99.5 and put my money into, I'm just saying right now I'm not really sure. Maybe my opinion will change after school, but as of right now I'm not so sure about the S4 as I once was. As well as I'm not sure what to tell my friend right now. I'm kind of inclined to say maybe an A4 will be the better value in the long run...I just don't know...But I do feel proud and lucky to be driving such a great car as the A4, it brings back alot of things that I had forgotten back into mind about the car. I think I will go and wash it right now, thanks everyone and please add your comments, opinions, etc. Peace

--Asif

SEXIC─N
10-03-2004, 05:40 PM
i still want an S4 or possible RS anthing(if they make more models here in the states), but i'm very content on my A4, cause it looks so damn sexy

littlewhite
10-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Great... looks like u decide what "K" xenon kit to get after all and now this ? [rolleyes] drama. So whats the final answer on choice of bulbs !

I really like the 1.8T engine, high potenial in tuning. 2.7T also but S4 is out of the range to get and i rather stay with the 1.8T. 4 bang =)

SEXIC─N
10-03-2004, 05:48 PM
i didn't even read everything, was this whole post about bulbs?

littlewhite
10-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Audi_A4_Quattro
i didn't even read everything, was this whole post about bulbs?

Nah =) in GB and somewhere here he post sth about which bulbs to get for like a week or so.

blacka4
10-03-2004, 06:18 PM
yea I love my A4...as much as i would kill to have a S I wouldn't do it because I love the gas milege and it looks like a S minus the sides and engine

Pureaudi
10-03-2004, 06:47 PM
hey, get a a4, and throw a s4 badge on it. itll make you feel cool! [:)]

RedRocket
10-03-2004, 07:07 PM
I'm a big S4 slut and you just made me fell better about my 1.8T. That's a well written post. I for one appreciate your outlook on this. Thank you for sharing this cool info.

ItsJ
10-03-2004, 08:07 PM
I'm a big S4 slut and you just made me fell better about my 1.8T.

same here, couldn't have said it any better

A4orce84
10-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys that was the message I was trying to get across. Is that our A4's Kick @!! =)

kontesto
10-03-2004, 09:25 PM
thanks buddy

SoleMate
10-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Meh, where I live a stock 1.8t takes/keeps up w/ many cars and the chip arriving next week should only help me more. Maybe someday I'll get to throw thousands under the hood my next car. Truly am loving my A4 since I've owned it for 2.5 months!

jones3000
10-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Nice post, but if I may add something>>>the beloved 2.8. Now you may have to drop $5,000 for a supercharger, but it's the most reliable out of the three engines(2.7T, 1.8T, 2.8). I am a BIG fan of natural aspirated engines. That's why I love the M3 so much and the new V8 S4. With supercharger and chip, you'll well over 300hp which will keep up with a chipped S4 and pay less visit to the Audi service department.

Audimarc
10-04-2004, 07:46 AM
jones3000 - Man, you took the words right out of my mouth! No replacement for displacement.

RedRocket
10-04-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by 1999 Audi A4
jones3000 - Man, you took the words right out of my mouth! No replacement for displacement.

Ya they used to say that back in the day. Now it goes, "There's no replacement for displacement, except for forced induction"

[:p]

Pureaudi
10-04-2004, 08:48 AM
i think its really funny that the m5, pushing 500 hp thats NA can kill a rs4 wich is turbo. haha so i would go for NA over turbo when it comes to BMW. but audi, ill go for the 1.8t

Daft
10-04-2004, 08:51 AM
I dig my A4 but, I'm still going forward with getting a used B5 S4.

If you simply chip the S4, you're looking at just over 300HP and about 210-220HP at the wheels. That's just fine with me.

The bottom line here is that you have to get one with a Audi Assured warranty. This way, you can cover your ass incase a turbo fails or worse.

I have a 98.5 A4 so, my car lacks alot of the newer interior features but, there's also the upgrades that the S4 brings like alcantara seats, Bose, driver info system, auto-dimming mirrors, etc..

In terms of gas mileage I now get 20-22MPG with my 1.8T from 94 octane sunoco fuel. I'm sure the S4 will be worse but, we aren't talking 10MPG here.

I'm tired of always checking my car out and being responsible for repairs. I want a car that is fast and close to stock trim and carries a manufacturer's warranty. The S4 seems to be the best solution.

I've looked into the Evo, the STi and the Legacy GT. All of these cars are very quick but, they all lack the refinement and class of the S4. The Legacy GT is a close second but, the lack of a sunroof, 6 speed or HID lighting bugs me enough to skip it.

I figure I can get a used 01-02 S4 with low miles and buy a spare ECU for it. I'll chip the spare ECU and if it breaks down, I'll stick my OEM ECU back in. Done deal.

As far as suspension and brakes, the S4's breaks are better than the OEM A4 brakes and the suspension is ok for a start. I'd consider stiffer stuff but, I want to maintain wheel camber at stock settings. Otherwise, alignments don't go so well.

I have already done the modified 4cyl turbo thing 3 times now and everytime it ends in quirky little problems that bug the shit out of me. There are too many issues with pushing a base-mid level car to it's edge. I'd rather have the top of the line model and add a small increase in power.

MR VTEC
10-04-2004, 09:04 AM
true!

jones3000
10-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Daft
I have already done the modified 4cyl turbo thing 3 times now and everytime it ends in quirky little problems that bug the shit out of me. There are too many issues with pushing a base-mid level car to it's edge. I'd rather have the top of the line model and add a small increase in power.

Exactly

Ben@SpeedBarn
10-04-2004, 10:52 AM
I bought and s4 and I still have my a4. There is not one thing I liked more about my a4. I'm glad I got the S for sure. Insurance is another downside to the upgrade though. I went from $400 a year with the a4 to $1700 a year with the s4. A 98 to an 01

Maintenance issues are about the same between the two. The only thing is the s4 turbos are harder to swap out than the a4 ones. Either way I love my S4!

A4orce84
02-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Was lookin for one of my old posts, and saw this old gem. Thought I'd bump it back up.....I still have my A4 and love it! =)

--Asif

volks88
02-05-2008, 09:49 PM
so a stage 3 a4 make 30 to 40 hp less than a chipped s4 lol. so for the $4500 dollar difference right there you can use that money for maint and upgrades. also, how many b5 1.8t's are 6 speed? [:p]

esss_pho
02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
lalwz...

never driven an a4 but seen pics...
i will take my "unreliable" s4 any day

i very rarely see posting threads about going to a b7 rs4 to a a4 :)

Kyle H
02-05-2008, 10:40 PM
so a stage 3 a4 make 30 to 40 hp less than a chipped s4 lol. so for the $4500 dollar difference right there you can use that money for maint and upgrades.
That's not taking into account the price difference between the A4 and S4 from the start. Also that guy up a couple of posts said it's 1300$/year more expensive to insure his S4. Don't forget that this posts is a couple of years old, and now most stage 3 A4's are generally around 300+awhp for the GT28RS setup, and there are plenty of guys with the 2871/3071/etc.

[a4][drive][az]

A4orce84
02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Not doggin the S4 guys, my intention was to give just some good points about the B5 A4...since at the time a lot of people said the A4 was the bike with training wheels, while the S4 was the real bike (car).

offroader1006
02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
the A4 is lighter, way better feel on the track/auto-x course.

Nowadays BT's are putting A4's deep in the 400whp territory, and a VRT swap would easily outgun a STGIII S4 for about the same total price.

A4 for 9k+15K for VRT swap - 400-600whp+
S4 for 16K+8k for STGIII - 400-500whp
rough estimates, go ahead, nitpick.

the only thing the S still has over the A is the bumpers and sides

capea4
02-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I agree to this as well. Having piloted these cars I take the A4 for track duty...But I still love having the S8 as a daily driver. there are pluses to the power and refinement in the S cars, but my modded to will remain an A4