PDA

View Full Version : Welds vs Clamps

karmad
08-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey guys i was wondering if clamps are just as good as weld?, i just got a apr exhaust put on and i feel it doesnt have a crisp tone but a raspy tone and a little loud going from a stop but cruising is quiet so i just wanted to know if getting welds changes the tone?

andyrew
08-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Only if you have a leak....

Check it for leaks... look for any dark black spots by the connections.. If you have any, clean them up, clamp them down harder, and try again.. If still the same, welding would be your option.

karmad
08-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Only if you have a leak....

Check it for leaks... look for any dark black spots by the connections.. If you have any, clean them up, clamp them down harder, and try again.. If still the same, welding would be your option.

thnx

fred2ka4
08-22-2008, 08:44 AM
I also have an APR exhaust and it was welded on when I bought the car. It had a few leaks and I had them repaired but it still sounds good. Just remember one thing, if you ever have to do work under your car, it is a pain having a one piece exhaust in the way. The time that it was the most inconvenient was when I had to replace the clutch ......... [headbang]

karmad
08-22-2008, 09:14 AM
I also have an APR exhaust and it was welded on when I bought the car. It had a few leaks and I had them repaired but it still sounds good. Just remember one thing, if you ever have to do work under your car, it is a pain having a one piece exhaust in the way. The time that it was the most inconvenient was when I had to replace the clutch ......... [headbang]

how does ur exhaust sound from a stop to go loud or soft, like can u hear it

fred2ka4
08-22-2008, 09:21 AM
how does ur sound on the go frrom a stop loud of soft

Mine is actually very quite and it's not until you get on it that it gets louder but even when it does get louder it's still a nice low smooth tone and I have an APR high flow cat as well.

karmad
08-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Mine is actually very quite and it's not until you get on it that it gets louder but even when it does get louder it's still a nice low smooth tone and I have an APR high flow cat as well.

mine sputters from the go but i have oe cat and im tip but i thought it was suppose to be quiet until wot i can hear it from the go sounds kinda bad

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
08-22-2008, 02:42 PM
sounds like you have a leak

tdn
08-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm trying not to be repetitive.

Stick with 'clamps' if at all possible. Make sure they're all on nice and tight. Check the pre existing welds for cracks/sources of a leak... apr does seem to be getting a rep for cracks at the welds of their exhaust systems. The only welding that should be done is where there are currently (bad) welds. If the 'clamps' are on correctly, there's no need to weld at those points and only makes things worse when you have to remove your exhaust and can actually cause more leaks.