PDA

View Full Version : can't decide between 3076r or 35r...

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm starting my BAT build, and just purchased some scat rods and mounts, and will soon be picking up my 1.8t AEB (w/ tt225 shortblock) to start building on.

I had my mind set on going GT35R, but now I'm wondering if its going to be too much in terms of being a DD car, along with the cost of the build. I know 3076r isn't going to be much cheaper, but it will save some money, and is supposedly a more streetable turbo.... What do you guys think?

things to consider: This is my only car, so its a DD. It sees anywhere from 600 - 1000 miles a month.
I'm kind of on a tight budget right now, and will be starting college within the next year.
This car will probably never see a track or drag strip, so it is basically a street oriented vehicle.
I'm looking for the most AWHP for the least amount of time,parts and money.

thanks in advance

Don Supreme
08-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Based on the criteria specific the gt3076 is the better choice, no doubt about it.

Nebone
08-18-2008, 01:40 PM
When does full boost come in on a 35R? I'd assume the 1.8T would feel mostly N/A driving around town with that turbo.

VTAudiA4
08-18-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm looking for the most AWHP for the least amount of time,parts and money.

thanks in advance

Get a K04......lol

Im no BT or BAT expert but I do but I do know if you go cheap and spend as little time as possible on it that you will have many problems along the way and down the road.

Take your time and don't do it if money is tight but thats just my .02 cents.

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 01:44 PM
yeah, I think typical 35R spool is around 4500 RPMS. I drive a lot of highway though too, not just city.

My sensible side is saying 3076R, but then I don;t want to eventually say "damn, I wish I would have gone bigger..."

AudiA4_20T
08-18-2008, 01:45 PM
dude ure still in high school and you have enough for a 35R? you pushing? lol I know I couldnt get 6k all of the sudden in high school

Don Supreme
08-18-2008, 01:46 PM
If you get the 35r without all the uber expensive supporting mods then its going to run like a turd............... I run a 35r, so I am speaking from experience.

I would go with a 3076 based on the things you said in your first post, but if you don't have enough money to do it right, then I would just wait until you get the money right.

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Get a K04......lol

Im no BT or BAT expert but I do but I do know if you go cheap and spend as little time as possible on it that you will have many problems along the way and down the road.

Take your time and don't do it if money is tight but thats just my .02 cents.

yeah I don't mean cheap like skimping on parts, i mean cheap as in total build cost.

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 01:49 PM
dude ure still in high school and you have enough for a 35R? you pushing? lol I know I couldnt get 6k all of the sudden in high school
I graduated a year early, so I've been working full time as a framer since last year. $14 an hour, with only a couple bills to pay adds up over some time man [;)]. So yeah, I'm a 17 year old kid, who's planning on going BT.

AudiA4_20T
08-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I graduated a year early, so I've been working full time as a framer since last year. $14 an hour, with only a couple bills to pay adds up over some time man [;)]. So yeah, I'm a 17 year old kid, who's planning on going BT.

badass man, that would be real nice but I did enjoy senior year. Anyway good luck, shoot me a PM and we can go over this stuff, but shit is going to be EXPENSIVE. Its always more than u think. Id estimate about 6-7k for the setup

if your going to go 35R, id run the setup Chris Tapp ran and just get a file from him

goody6691
08-18-2008, 01:51 PM
building for either setup is gonna cost close to the same. rods, pistons,headwork[so you can spin it up higher to make use of the bigger powerband],headstuds,bearings and the build cost. building a motor is building a motor. you could just throw a 28rs on the stock motor, make 300 whp and be done. a built, big turbo car is not the best daily driver.

pipe7284
08-18-2008, 01:51 PM
stay with the your stock block and just upgrade rods and replace piston rings. and then slap on a gt3076r. and your good to go.

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 01:56 PM
If you get the 35r without all the uber expensive supporting mods then its going to run like a turd............... I run a 35r, so I am speaking from experience.

I would go with a 3076 based on the things you said in your first post, but if you don't have enough money to do it right, then I would just wait until you get the money right.

yeah, it does make more sense.

I'm kinda at a point where its all or nothing right now just to get the build over with so i can fully focus on college. I've read too many stories on here where its taken the person over a year to finish the build because they're in college and funds are limited

I think I'll go 3076R and be happy. I just really wanted to be able to make all the big-headed ritzy z06/m3 owners shit a brick when a little red audi is pulling right next to them while they're floored [>_<][>_<]

Don Supreme
08-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Well you will be able to do that to a m3 with the 3076, but unlikely with the current z06.

Poopie
08-18-2008, 02:10 PM
if you crave a bit more top end you could always try a .82 ar turbine housing. Thats what i went with. It spooled pretty nice in a b18 honda I got to ride in.

I will have a head built for higher revs though. my redline will be 8100.

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 02:11 PM
I know, thats the sad part. I live in one of the United States largest retirement cities, so almost half my town owns a new corvette, and they just love to show them off by trying to race every person possible and flaunting them on their meets. I'd just love to see the look on one of their faces if they got beat by a '98 audi. I guess I'll leave that to people like mike hood and chris tapp!

Thanks for all the help guys!

(Don_Supreme and A4_20T I will probably keep in touch throughout the build.)

goody6691
08-18-2008, 02:34 PM
a 17 year old kid with a 3076 a4 is bad news. your already talking about racing vettes. use your head when you drive. that thing will get you into big trouble, esp if you dont respect the power. not trying to bash you, i just get sick of heaaring about you ng kids getting fucked up or hurting inocent people in accidents.

317ssayzarc
08-18-2008, 02:38 PM

That sounds aweful familiar [:D]

A4Rob
08-18-2008, 02:44 PM
In all honesty, since your on such a tight budget, just buy a PES T28. I ran my T28 kit all through college and it worked great. I am selling mine now however...

3076 or 35R will end up costing you a lot of money. I can tell you that because I am working on a 3071 build now.

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 02:46 PM
a 17 year old kid with a 3076 a4 is bad news. your already talking about racing vettes. use your head when you drive. that thing will get you into big trouble, esp if you dont respect the power. not trying to bash you, i just get sick of heaaring about you ng kids getting fucked up or hurting inocent people in accidents.

no way man, I'm a god driver. I've only been in one accident, which was NOT my fault, and have never been pulled over. I do the speed limit, there's just times when I like to wind the car up for a minute, like when I'm on long trips on the highway. Other than that I just have fun getting up to the speed limit [:D]

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 02:49 PM
That sounds aweful familiar [:D]

yep, its good honest hard work, and it has certainly done a lot for my body as far as getting into shape [cool]. Though there's a lot of time I catch myself thinking "how the hell did I get here...". Like when I'm rolling trusses 3 stories up in the air on a roof in the 95 degree + weather with a bunch of middle aged guys who look like they belong in a bar or in jail..haha

A4Rob
08-18-2008, 02:50 PM
no way man, I'm a god driver. I've only been in one accident, which was NOT my fault, and have never been pulled over. I do the speed limit, there's just times when I like to wind the car up for a minute, like when I'm on long trips on the highway. Other than that I just have fun getting up to the speed limit [:D]

Keep in mind the guy telling you this has a full 3076 setup[drive]

317ssayzarc
08-18-2008, 02:52 PM
yep, its good honest hard work, and it has certainly done a lot for my body as far as getting into shape [cool]. Though there's a lot of time I catch myself thinking "how the hell did I get here...". Like when I'm rolling trusses 3 stories up in the air on a roof in the 95 degree + weather with a bunch of middle aged guys who look like they belong in a bar or in jail..haha

Oh Im a mechanic... I was referring to the fact that I finished my senior year in college, and now have my associates degree in automotive at the age of 18... Ill be 19 next week and have been working my ass off for a while to get the car to where its at now [up] [wrench]

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Oh Im a mechanic... I was referring to the fact that I finished my senior year in college, and now have my associates degree in automotive at the age of 18... Ill be 19 next week and have been working my ass off for a while to get the car to where its at now [up] [wrench]
oh yeah, right on. I was raised strongly in working hard to achieve something, so I can respect that for sure. The sad part is I've just started buying these parts (as you know) and I'm already anxious to be able to feel what its like to own a car with over 400 hp

njm23
08-18-2008, 03:06 PM

Uhh, how the f are you not 19 yet and just finished your senior year in college? That doest begin to make sense.. Unless you meant u just got done with senior year in highschool..

bassed
08-18-2008, 03:23 PM
3076 .82 a/r or a S256 w/ .55 I know it's not on your l ist, but it should be. It's in between here is a little info for you (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229901)

goody6691
08-18-2008, 03:47 PM
i just got my .82 t3 hotside in the mail the other day. its going on this week, along with the spa mani, injectors, and uni goodness.

20vpower
08-18-2008, 04:12 PM

Ya i think the same thing when im at work. Makes me think i should have just went to college right after high school and didnt get into the construction biz. Atleast if feels like ive learned a bunch and can work hard to take pride in my work. Then i get home and read over all these bat builds and cant wait until i have the courage/funds to do mine.

djwimbo
08-18-2008, 04:14 PM
If you're looking to make 400 maybe a little more, I'd go 3076 w/ .82 A/R. The 35R can hit those numbers without issues. The concern is that once you step up that high most people would recommend the more expensive parts, so you'll benefit the most from the larger turbo.
Honestly I wouldn't consider stepping into the 35R range unless I planned on doing oversized exh. valves and a ported head.

SPA Mani + 3076 will probably get you a lot more than you'd expect. If you ever get to the point that a fully tweaked 3076 isn't keeping you happy, you should probably go buy a Viper and turbo that. 300whp is plenty enough to get the best of us in trouble, 400whp is another story.

The roommate's Vette was pushing somewhere in the neighborhood of 425whp and 400wTQ. It was enough to pull any 600cc street bike by a couple car lengths before 3rd gear ended.

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 04:15 PM
where the hell do you buy a borg warner turbo at anyways?

djwimbo
08-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Oh yea, are you planning on going 1.9L, 2.0, or 2.1?

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 04:24 PM
If you're looking to make 400 maybe a little more, I'd go 3076 w/ .82 A/R. The 35R can hit those numbers without issues. The concern is that once you step up that high most people would recommend the more expensive parts, so you'll benefit the most from the larger turbo.
Honestly I wouldn't consider stepping into the 35R range unless I planned on doing oversized exh. valves and a ported head.

SPA Mani + 3076 will probably get you a lot more than you'd expect. If you ever get to the point that a fully tweaked 3076 isn't keeping you happy, you should probably go buy a Viper and turbo that. 300whp is plenty enough to get the best of us in trouble, 400whp is another story.

The roommate's Vette was pushing somewhere in the neighborhood of 425whp and 400wTQ. It was enough to pull any 600cc street bike by a couple car lengths before 3rd gear ended.

yeah, i know I'll be happy with the 3076. Just looking at it on dyno sheets, and driving it I know are two totally different things. I'm sure I will probably be 100% satisfied with whatever numbers I make, because at least its more than my stock k03 is pushing right now!

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Oh yea, are you planning on going 1.9L, 2.0, or 2.1?

83mm bore with a 92.8m stroke, which I'm sure is 2.0L

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Ya i think the same thing when im at work. Makes me think i should have just went to college right after high school and didnt get into the construction biz. Atleast if feels like ive learned a bunch and can work hard to take pride in my work. Then i get home and read over all these bat builds and cant wait until i have the courage/funds to do mine.

I hear you there! [up][drive]

djwimbo
08-18-2008, 04:32 PM
83mm bore with a 92.8m stroke, which I'm sure is 2.0L

Correct, That'll put you in the neighborhood of 2007-2008cc if I'm not mistaken. So, an honest 2.0L, w/o rounding up.

Don Supreme
08-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Who is building that motor for you? Unless you have a shop that has done it (stroked 058a block takes a little doing) before there is probably going to be some back and fourth (major project delay). If you have the money you could order one from Bob Q...... He is expensive, but you know its being done right the first time....

When you see his prices you will see how we came up with 6k-7k.

djwimbo
08-18-2008, 04:45 PM
What makes the 058 so hard to stroke? Would it just be easier to do a 06A block for us AEB guys?

317ssayzarc
08-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Uhh, how the f are you not 19 yet and just finished your senior year in college? That doest begin to make sense.. Unless you meant u just got done with senior year in highschool..

Well my birthday is in late August, I started my freshman year of hs when I was 13 (just for a few days) since I was just on the brink of being held back but my mother put me forward anyways... Went up thru hs until the end of my junior year, then started talking to colleges about how to start my degree and finish up the remainder of my hs courses in college... I took a health schedule each quarter in college (while still working full time mind you) and finished my associates in 18 months... Make some sense now?

317ssayzarc
08-18-2008, 04:47 PM
What makes the 058 so hard to stroke? Would it just be easier to do a 06A block for us AEB guys?

Read my write up in the FAQ [up]

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 04:48 PM
I've actually had a couple people tell me I don't even have to stroke out my engine, and that I could keep my AEB totally stock, run new scat rods, large injectors, new oil/coolant lines, manifold, full exhaust with downpipe, AFPR, inline fuel, 3076R turbo, 43mm external waste gate, dump pipe, large MAF, and some new plugs and be good... but of course it wouldn;t run close to its peak performance...

Don Supreme
08-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I've actually had a couple people tell me I don't even have to stroke out my engine, and that I could keep my AEB totally stock, run new scat rods, large injectors, new oil/coolant lines, manifold, full exhaust with downpipe, AFPR, inline fuel, 3076R turbo, 43mm external waste gate, dump pipe, large MAF, and some new plugs and be good... but of course it wouldn;t run close to its peak performance...

Actually they are right... You really don't need to stroke the motor, what you need is a head that flows..

Put the rods in with stock aeb pistons, and spend the money on the head...

You need revs and flow.

317ssayzarc
08-18-2008, 04:54 PM
You COULD do that... But for a real thorough build youll want the added displacement and a lower than stock compression ratio

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
well its one or the other, I can't afford all of them. I know the guy who works on my car knows about all this stuff (he works on all euro cars in my town, and helped re build this stupid v-tech ricer engine for this supposedly big company, and he managed to get it running 490whp on pump gas. I know hondas and audi's are way different, but the main thing is he knows about stroking and porting...

bassed
08-18-2008, 04:58 PM
where the hell do you buy a borg warner turbo at anyways?

That's what I linked you to above. Bullseye S256 is a BW hybrid.

You're also better having Bob Q do the motor than the guy in your town. Audi'e are not Honda's and Bob does all VW/Audi's. Jake is spot on about dropping compression and adding displacement, especially if you want to spool well and run more boost.

Fuzz_Duster
08-18-2008, 05:06 PM
I think I'll stick with the 3076r

and I don;t have the money to do that or else I would. I mean I could wait an extra 4 or 5 months and then be able to do it, but I don't really want to postpone this build any longer. I've already waited long enough.

Pete@IE
08-18-2008, 05:18 PM
It looks like this is settled, but I'd like to put one more vote in for 3076r. I would never recommend a 35r without building the head to match. Otherwise, you've got a head that basically falls on its face past 6k, and a turbo that is only realling coming on a boil just before that.

Its the same thing old school v8 guys talk about- its all in the combination-

We have rods and pistons *in stock* to build the 2L 82.5mm / 92.8mm stroke combo. ;)

onemoremile
08-19-2008, 10:50 AM
You can get the Bork Warner Airwerks turbos from bullseye turbo or other online vendors. I don't think we have an official audizine advertiser that carries them yet.

The grown up in me says to put your money somewhere where it will grow and next year you can buy a better setup with dividends or interest. Start broke and you'll stay broke. Those retirees in your city are spending accrued interest which is why they can blow cash like it doesn't matter. They haven't touched their principle.

The idiot car guy in me says to put a 3071 or 3076 on a spa mani and swap in some scat rods. Now you have an easily upgradeable setup. You can swap the exhaust housings for more top end or fit any T3 turbo good for anywhere from 350-750whp. Pick up an extra head and build it up for the 35r swap or whatever, the hard work is out of the way.

sixfiveoh
08-19-2008, 10:57 AM

That's not saying much considering you've only been driving for a year. Be careful dude. The mentality you have going into this sounds all bad. I know the temptations of a 17 year old when another car pulls up next to you, you can really lose your mind and put no limits to what you'll do. Just be safe, and consider tracking the car to lay off the street racing as much as possible.

Notice I say as much as possible [:p]

Fuzz_Duster
08-19-2008, 11:06 AM
yeah, I totally see where you guys are coming from. I would take my car to the strip, but the closest one is 150 miles away, which is about a 2 hour drive.
I'm a very sensible kid for my age though. The internet isn't going to prove squat for me, but if you met me in real life, you'd probably think I have the mentality of a 25 year old.
I mean, who else graduates highschool a year early, and then jumps straight into building houses as a framer at 17, just because they don't want to be lazy all summer and would like to get an early start on funds for college? I graduated with a 3.8 GPA and was offered a couple grants because of my writing and publishing skills. I know I have a brain, so I try to use it. Trust me, I see way too much of the typical teenager throwing their life away on a daily basis. I've lost 3 really close friends to car wrecks/drugs/ and crime. So I'd say I'm pretty level headed.

Fuzz_Duster
08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
You can get the Bork Warner Airwerks turbos from bullseye turbo or other online vendors. I don't think we have an official audizine advertiser that carries them yet.

The grown up in me says to put your money somewhere where it will grow and next year you can buy a better setup with dividends or interest. Start broke and you'll stay broke. Those retirees in your city are spending accrued interest which is why they can blow cash like it doesn't matter. They haven't touched their principle.

The idiot car guy in me says to put a 3071 or 3076 on a spa mani and swap in some scat rods. Now you have an easily upgradeable setup. You can swap the exhaust housings for more top end or fit any T3 turbo good for anywhere from 350-750whp. Pick up an extra head and build it up for the 35r swap or whatever, the hard work is out of the way.

yeah, I'm trying to go both ways [:D]. I figure I might as well take advantage of only paying $175 in bills a month while I still can. Half my monthly earnings will go into my savings for college (as usual) and the other half gets cashed for car parts/extra money to spend on the girlfriend/bills/gas. [up][up]

I've gone from $100 dollars in the bank, to $4,500 in just the past 3 or so months of working, and now I'm starting to notice the interest . So hopefully I'll be picking up some more grants within the next 5 or 6 months, and head on out to college with my car 85% finished.

mike-2ptzero
08-19-2008, 11:16 AM

Full-race.com sells them which means I can get them. Right now I am waiting to test fit either a T4 flanged S366 or S372, that or a GT4088r. This way I can just change out the exhaust housing once full-race has time to build me a TS manifold.

Militant-Grunt
08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
I am in the same dilemma as you, I am pretty much 100% set on going full built head and bottom end, at this point I'm trying to decide weather ill use a gt35r or a 30r, ill be using the car to get to school on a daily basis, but at the same time I'm surely will be tracking the car. I don't mind having a hard core car as a daily driver. Even if you have a BAT that takes long to spool that doesn't mean you're not making any power before, highly drivable from what I heard.

I'm going one better as well, I already have a collection of S4 bits to bolt up a S4 tranny. I just need a car at this point =/. Impossible to find a good salvage 2001 or a real cheap 01 A4.

mike-2ptzero
08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
I am in the same dilemma as you, I am pretty much 100% set on going full built head and bottom end, at this point I'm trying to decide weather ill use a gt35r or a 30r, ill be using the car to get to school on a daily basis, but at the same time I'm surely will be tracking the car. I don't mind having a hard core car as a daily driver. Even if you have a BAT that takes long to spool that doesn't mean you're not making any power before, highly drivable from what I heard.

I'm going one better as well, I already have a collection of S4 bits to bolt up a S4 tranny. I just need a car at this point =/. Impossible to find a good salvage 2001 or a real cheap 01 A4.

BAT is actually easier to drive in traffic then a K04 since the power doesn't come on really fast down low. This way you can drive the car very easy in traffic under 4k rpm, then when you really want to feel the power you just take it up above 4k and run it to 8k.

Fuzz_Duster
08-19-2008, 11:49 AM
what I want to know is how is it possible to just throw on a turbo, mani, a tune, some injectors, scats, exhaust + DP, fmic, wastegate, FPR, and a maf, and your car run totally fine? I keep getting these people telling me that half this stuff I'm planning on doing or buying isn't necessary. I always thought it took almost re building your whole engine/setup just for the car to be able to run with that big of a turbo strapped to it...

1fstavant
08-19-2008, 12:08 PM
all thats needed is a turbo, rods, nice fmic, injectors, clutch flywheel, exhaust, engine and tranny mounts, and a tune and what ever that tune calls for

380 with only scat rods and a 50 trim, id talk to a couple of these guys they know what their talking about but if your only looking for 400 theres no real need to stroke it or bore it put the money into the head

Fuzz_Duster
08-19-2008, 12:18 PM
I have a couple people I'm talking to that what whats going on and are helping me through the build. I was just saying until a couple days a go I thought going BT was the most time consuming, costly process ever. Now it all seems kinda played out...all it takes is some money.

onemoremile
08-19-2008, 12:33 PM
The only budget conscious way is to go in stages.

Add scat rods, SPA mani, GT30xxr, fueling. Drive the car, get used to the 350whp or whatever it is making. It is extremely easy to upgrade from there.

Now you can run the hell out of that turbo and decide what to do next. If you want more power you can build a head and swap it on. If you want lower boost threshold and better throttle response then build a higher displacement bottom end too. The point is that you'll be driving the car while building the top or bottom end separately which really limits the downtime.

FWIW, I was in college at age 12. Mensa at 10. Got my license at 16 and totaled 3 cars within two years. Now I'm 33 and haven't been responsible for an accident of any kind since. While maturity does play a significant role, it is nothing compared to seat time. If your reflexes have no experience to work with then you don't know how to respond to various situations. My 3 accidents were easily preventable now that I've slid my car around on a track, killed some cones, and had 17 seasons of winter driving.

My son Donovan turned 6 on August 8 and started 2nd grade less than a week later. He is in the advanced class and daily spends time with a special tutor for the gifted kids. I've only got two reservations regarding his development. One is social which I don't see him having a problem with. The other is getting his license a week before his senior year starts. He'll have plenty of time riding shotgun with me at autocrosses and track days but other than karting there isn't much I can do to get him behind the wheel early. Not only do I worry that his chances of getting into an accident are high, but odds are it won't be a tree that he hits and they he won't be alone when it happens. I should also mention that I lost my high school girlfriend in a car accident. I've experienced both sides and neither are very pretty. Just be careful out there. Don't think about what you know but what you have left to learn.

Fuzz_Duster
08-19-2008, 12:41 PM
what about the tuning

onemoremile
08-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I'd go with Tapp initially. Start simple and inexpensive. Check the classifieds for someone ditching an old setup. Lots of great deals pass through there. I've seen Tapp tuned ECUs go through there cheap enough that you could pick it up and sell your old one and only be out a hundred or two.

If you decide to go big and/or crazy later then go standalone.

The other nice part about staging the upgrades like this is that you'll learn a ton about what the big turbo does and doesn't like. That will help immensely if you decide to tweak a standalone for the best performance. Without a frame of reference it could be very difficult and potentially expensive (boom).

bassed
08-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd go with Tapp initially. Start simple and inexpensive. Check the classifieds for someone ditching an old setup. Lots of great deals pass through there. I've seen Tapp tuned ECUs go through there cheap enough that you could pick it up and sell your old one and only be out a hundred or two.

If you decide to go big and/or crazy later then go standalone.

The other nice part about staging the upgrades like this is that you'll learn a ton about what the big turbo does and doesn't like. That will help immensely if you decide to tweak a standalone for the best performance. Without a frame of reference it could be very difficult and potentially expensive (boom).

Like lego's with stackability[>_<]

onemoremile
08-19-2008, 04:45 PM
BAT is actually easier to drive in traffic then a K04 since the power doesn't come on really fast down low. This way you can drive the car very easy in traffic under 4k rpm, then when you really want to feel the power you just take it up above 4k and run it to 8k.

As has been said, if you've got lag you're in the wrong gear. [drive]

onemoremile
08-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Like lego's with stackability[>_<]

No reason to have a pile of bricks if you don't know what the building looks like.

djwimbo
08-19-2008, 07:56 PM
No reason to have a pile of bricks if you don't know what the building looks like.

planning is a must as well. Building a house without blueprints is pointless.
Funding is also needed, planning that is probably just as important. There's always things you didn't expect that pop up. Like fittings, hoses, bolts, gaskets, etc. it all adds up. Even if I had "everything" I needed to do the install, I wouldn't even start trying to put everything together unless I had $500+ waiting to be spent on the unexpected.

Poopie
08-19-2008, 08:13 PM
if was was sticking with the stock awm with just rods i would have gone with a gt3071r. Since I got a good deal on pistons and rods and acquired and aeb head I settled with a gt30r .82 ar since i would have better flow and extra revs with the built head. i still gotta pick up some cheap cams.

AudiTechS4
08-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey Fuzz how are the wheels treating ya. Any pics with them on ?

biketsai
08-19-2008, 08:30 PM
In all honesty, since your on such a tight budget, just buy a PES T28. I ran my T28 kit all through college and it worked great. I am selling mine now however...

3076 or 35R will end up costing you a lot of money. I can tell you that because I am working on a 3071 build now.

Im Guilty!

But good luck with the build man, like others have said, def make sure you have EVERYTHING before you begin, you dont wanna be riding a bicycle to school or hitching rides, I was out a month on my "1 day" build, shit happens

red_rocket
08-20-2008, 07:44 AM
yeah man, good luck with the whole build. Its a long and daunting process, but well worth it in the end!!

Fuzz_Duster
08-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey Fuzz how are the wheels treating ya. Any pics with them on ?

hey man, they're good. A big improvement over stockers! I've gotten a lot of compliments on them. I still need to drop some coils on my car to make it look fully proper, but the sport suspension will have to suffice till I'm done with this GT30 build. I was also thinking of buffing some of the minor curb rash out and taking them in to get powder coated black w/ a white lip when I get my car painted.

no pics yet, but as soon as my arm heals up and I get back to work, I'm planning on getting a full detail done and snapping some good pictures with a buddies camera. I'll shoot some your way when I do.

AudiTechS4
08-20-2008, 09:31 PM
when you get your car finished let me know. i'd love to see how it fairs against my stg 3 s4,i've always wanted to build up a 1.8t

Don Supreme
08-21-2008, 06:58 AM
when you get your car finished let me know. i'd love to see how it fairs against my stg 3 s4,i've always wanted to build up a 1.8t

Sounds like a sweet challenge, you better come correct Fuzz...

Poopie
08-21-2008, 08:19 AM

I've had my gt2871r elim up against an awe stage 3 with out any tweaks. the elim setup was just a few cars behind when we had a clean run. I would say its a 75% advantage for the s4.

Fuzz_Duster
08-21-2008, 08:19 AM
yeah, just wait. Fair warning though, I'm running no belly pan...+50HP.

Don Supreme
08-21-2008, 10:29 AM
I've had my gt2871r elim up against an awe stage 3 with out any tweaks. the elim setup was just a few cars behind when we had a clean run. I would say its a 75% advantage for the s4.

So in other words you got smoked ? [>_<]