PDA

View Full Version : Remote problem, HELP!

cculos
08-14-2008, 02:31 PM
The Car:

1998 a4 1.8tq
Remote: OEM switchblade key with 4 button remote (lock unlock trunk panic)

Just bought a remote for my car from ebay (used but in "working conditions") that was supposed to be an OEM part, and as far as I can tell, it is. I got a new key cut, replaced both batteries, and followed the instructions given to me by the seller, but to no avail. I could not program the remote. I looked online and found someone elses instructions on this forum to see if that would work, and again, to no avail. Is it possible that my car DOESN'T have an alarm system? The previous owner mentioned that it did but he just didn't have the remote. What am I doing wrong? The ebay auction mentions specifically that the remote is tested before selling. Am I to understand that my car didn't even COME with a security system?

Please, any help is much appreciated in advance!!
Thanks,
Chris

generik777
08-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Not all the remotes are the same, Some of them use a different frequency. That could be the problem.

mholme
08-14-2008, 03:24 PM
The Car:

1998 a4 1.8tq
Remote: OEM switchblade key with 4 button remote (lock unlock trunk panic)

Just bought a remote for my car from ebay (used but in "working conditions") that was supposed to be an OEM part, and as far as I can tell, it is. I got a new key cut, replaced both batteries, and followed the instructions given to me by the seller, but to no avail. I could not program the remote. I looked online and found someone elses instructions on this forum to see if that would work, and again, to no avail. Is it possible that my car DOESN'T have an alarm system? The previous owner mentioned that it did but he just didn't have the remote. What am I doing wrong? The ebay auction mentions specifically that the remote is tested before selling. Am I to understand that my car didn't even COME with a security system?

Please, any help is much appreciated in advance!!
Thanks,
Chris

Any pictures of the key? What instructions are you using? VAG-COM or 2 key ignition/door method? You mention 4 buttons. Is this an Avant? Sorry, more questions than answers...

cculos
08-14-2008, 03:44 PM
The Key in question:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=260260930541

I was using the one in ignition/one in door method - how the hell would I use vag com to communicate with the remote? It's not an avant its a sedan

DuviVr6
08-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Not all the remotes are the same, Some of them use a different frequency. That could be the problem.

right on that should be the problem!!

mholme
08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
The Key in question:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=260260930541

I was using the one in ignition/one in door method - how the hell would I use vag com to communicate with the remote? It's not an avant its a sedan

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vw-remote-matching.html

That doesn't look like the correct key for a B5. Not saying it couldn't be programmed.

black99.5a4
08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
our sedans came with remote trunk?

mholme
08-14-2008, 04:14 PM
our sedans came with remote trunk?

Negative. That's why I asked if it was an Avant. I know they have a remote button for the hatch inside the car, but wasn't sure about on the key fob.

cculos
08-14-2008, 08:16 PM
So now what do I do? It doesn't specify that the remote is for an avant, although that seems to be the case - do I try for my money back on grounds of false advertisement? This whole thing has been completely frustrating and I'm on the verge of just getting a brand new one from a stealership. lol

generik777
08-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that remote won't work with your car. You want the 2 button remote (lock unlock panic) it actually has 3 buttons but is still referred to as a 2 button remote. You want it to have these numbers, FCC ID: MZ2 410 819 6 4 and 4D0.837.231D

generik777
08-14-2008, 08:17 PM
So now what do I do? It doesn't specify that the remote is for an avant, although that seems to be the case - do I try for my money back on grounds of false advertisement? This whole thing has been completely frustrating and I'm on the verge of just getting a brand new one from a stealership. lol

You won't get your money back for false advertisment as the auction says this "PLEASE check with your local dealer with regard to compatibility and programmability, BEFORE any purchase."

cculos
08-14-2008, 08:23 PM
So now what? Try to sell it or trade it with someone on the forums? Does anyone want an a4 b5 avant remote?

generik777
08-14-2008, 08:33 PM
So now what? Try to sell it or trade it with someone on the forums? Does anyone want an a4 b5 avant remote?

You could contact the guy and see if he would be willing to do an exchange for the correct one, assuming he has it. Otherwise I'm sure you could sell it in the classifieds here.

mholme
08-14-2008, 08:54 PM

I don't think that's a B5 remote, period. Maybe from a B6 or later. It may still be able to be programmed and just not recognize the trunk button if pushed. Do you have a VAG-COM?

cculos
08-15-2008, 07:07 AM
he doesn't have the correct one - the auction specifically mentions that this remote is for a b5 (96-00) a4/s4/a6, and if the remote isn't even for a b5 then he's definitely in the wrong. No, I don't have VAG COM. My cousin does, but he's constantly away.

mholme
08-15-2008, 09:29 AM
he doesn't have the correct one - the auction specifically mentions that this remote is for a b5 (96-00) a4/s4/a6, and if the remote isn't even for a b5 then he's definitely in the wrong. No, I don't have VAG COM. My cousin does, but he's constantly away.

Try to find someone with a VAG to program it for you. That FCC # should work for your car. Just for sh*ts and giggles, stand next to the car and press the lock or unlock button on the remote just once. Then stick the key in question in the door and turn it to unlock or lock it and see if the remote synchronizes itself. This is just using that one single(ebay) key, no key in ignition.