PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Benefits

kontesto
10-01-2004, 10:42 AM
What are the benefits of an exhaust on a non-chipped, 1.8t automatic?

Someone told me it would decrease turbo lag?

KM

derek2079
10-01-2004, 10:46 AM
you really should chip it

SAC_Audi
10-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Chipped or not, the engine is just a big device for moving air...The better the airflow, the better the performance. Get a nice flow through exhaust with mandrel bending, performance muffler and exhaust tips and you'll notice a difference in acceleration and mileage. The turbo lag is controlled by exhaust flow and by-pass valve...Too big an exhaust could allow the turbo to overspeed and that's very bad. By-pass valve openning too early loses pressure and that's not good.

millerracer
10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
SAC - since I have asked around lately and haven't heard anything - how do you like your APR chip? I have an '01 and on paper it seems more potent than the GIAC - but dyno #'s are relative. Did you also get APR's by-pass valve when you got chipped? Or was that later - and if so - did you see a noticeable difference there too?

mm

SAC_Audi
10-01-2004, 12:01 PM
It's a real gentle-man's chip. Power comes on smooth and consistent for whole RPM range. Hassmeister drove my car and compared it to his with a GIAC chip. His has a bit more kick as the GIAC is a bit slower at lower RPMs but really rushes in after about 3K or so...

I'm looking to try to get a K04 turbo and want to add a GIAC chip as well. The car came with the chip and an upgraded BPV (don't remember the brand) but Hassmeister said it will be just fine until I upgrade turbo...

Both are good products. It just depends upon your driving style. I'm very conservative but when I want the power, I want lots of it in a hurry so I think I'll find better comfort with the GIAC.

Hope that helps...But regardless of the chip, get a good exhaust system (that way we're not threadstealing)[cool]

millerracer
10-01-2004, 12:05 PM
LOL... oh of course.. a good exhaust is very important! Thanks for the info...

mm

audlman
10-01-2004, 03:46 PM
personally, i think an exhaust adds to the fun of the car. i love hearing my car. and then it does allow for better breathing.

kontesto
10-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by derek2079
you really should chip it

I can't chip it bud, im still under warranty. A warranty which has bailed my ass out for about 7000 worth of stuff so im not touching the engine any time soon

Thanks for the help, im gonna look into one soon

KM

IndieRockSteve
10-08-2004, 06:17 AM
check with your dealer, the few I've talked to don't care if its chipped (by giac and apr at least). I even talked to two dealers that had a deal set up to get your car chipped before you pick it up from them, one of the dealers told me it helped them sell the 1.8T's to people over lesser but more powerful japanese sedans...(ok, he said honda accords....)

Zodiak
10-08-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by kontesto
I can't chip it bud, im still under warranty. A warranty which has bailed my ass out for about 7000 worth of stuff so im not touching the engine any time soon

Thanks for the help, im gonna look into one soon

KM

that's why people buy spare ECUs. Buy an ECU, have it chipped, then swap it into your car. Anytime you have to take the car to the dealer, put the original stock ECU back in, they'll be none the wiser.

A4Rob
10-08-2004, 09:23 AM
exhaust makes you sound cool!

pigliiit
10-08-2004, 09:27 AM
yeah, keep an eye on the for sale section and buy an ecu thats already chipped. super easy to pop them in and out. makes a world of difference. i'd get that before an exhaust.

kontesto
10-08-2004, 03:34 PM
oh man ure enticing me!

KM

PDRaudi
11-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by IndieRockSteve
check with your dealer, the few I've talked to don't care if its chipped (by giac and apr at least). I even talked to two dealers that had a deal set up to get your car chipped before you pick it up from them, one of the dealers told me it helped them sell the 1.8T's to people over lesser but more powerful japanese sedans...(ok, he said honda accords....)

where are these dealers, does anyone know of dealers like this in the LA area

IndieRockSteve
11-07-2004, 01:23 PM
the ones I talked to were in NY, the two local to me when I was looking to buy mine. Now I'm in NH and theres a local shop that specializes in Audi, Volvo, Merc and BMW as well as doing work on classic european cars. Quite a parking lot I must say, and they don't care and they accept my aftermarket warranty. rock on.