PDA

View Full Version : <<Replica [Race] Seat Guinea-pig RIGHT HERE!>>Lrg Photos Inside

audisnapr
09-30-2004, 11:42 AM
I'm sure there are others out there that have walked the fine line of the replica race seat (quality vs. price), but I have yet to really hear anything from them. And since this site's main function is for research I figured I go ahead and post a review of the replica seats that I purchased... against most everyone's recommendation.

DISCLAIMER: this review is based on the "right out of the box" (literally), not installed, and not with continued use. That obviously will have to be done later on.

Of course like any new "toy", my first impression was a good one (I expected to cringe with disappointment when I cracked open the box).

Overall, the leather/pleather combination looks really well done. The leather portions of the seat seem to match the pleather very well (color and texture). Material feels thick and resilient. The stitching is clean and not sloppy. The areas where plastic intersect material seems to be tight and well put together.

Even though I have a four door audi and don't need the quick release mechanism, it really doesn't seem to bother me aesthetically. The lower, main seat adjustment knob seems to be affixed firmly and appears to work well. The major flaw (I guess you can call it that) is the lumbar adjustment knob. This knob, although, looks fine, is poorly attached and comes off very easy. I would guess that if this knob is used enough it will crack. I can see this knob being replaced within the first few months, if not weeks, of use. Having said that, it really doesn't bother me. The fact that I now have lumbar support is a huge improvement and if that means I need to replace the knob, so be it.

Upon sitting in the seat, there of course is an obvious difference in feel and support. The leather/cushions feel very firm and will likely soften over time (good or bad, I'm not sure). The lower side bolsters fit me perfectly. However, the upper back/side bolster might be a bit wide for me. I am approx. 5'8" and 150lbs. So I'm not the... how do I say this without opening all kinds of sarcasm doors... the biggest guy in the world.

Conclusion: Overall, again I am pleased with the purchase. The pair of seats cost me approx. $558 shipped. The same Recaro SRD/Speed seat in vinyl or leather would cost about 3 times that much.

Having the shoulder harness keepers and lumbar support are a great addition to the cabin of my car, not to mention more lateral support. One other minor bonus for me is the lack of the logo at the top of the seat. I'm over the bling of "RECARO or SPARCO" splashed within my interior. And although I have yet to put them in the car, they appear to be a close match to my OEM leatherette (minus the perforation).

Here are some photos I shot for you guys. If you have any questions or want some info on where I got them, let me know.

<EDIT> I was incorrect about the price I paid. I actually paid $558 shipped, not $530. Which by the way is not their regular price. $499 for seats plus $88 for shipping is $587. Just want you guys to have the full story.

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/CRW_6987.jpg

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/CRW_6980.jpg

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/CRW_6992.jpg

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/CRW_6983.jpg

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/CRW_6985.jpg

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/CRW_6986.jpg

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/CRW_6989.jpg

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/CRW_6990.jpg

marked001
09-30-2004, 11:46 AM
such professional shots [;)] now stop playing and get em in teh car [:)]

audisnapr
09-30-2004, 11:50 AM
thanks man. won't happen until tomorrow though[:(]... the girlfriend gets to drive the car to work everyday, so I won't be able to install them until tomorrow when the custom brackets come.

EVIL-AUDI
09-30-2004, 11:50 AM
wow, thanks for the pics snapr. I really was curious how they would turn out. Let me know what you think of the height and adjustability.

audisnapr
09-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
wow, thanks for the pics snapr. I really was curious how they would turn out. Let me know what you think of the height and adjustability.

will do... if you guys need any other detailed shots, let me know. I still have my photo gear set up for a few more hours.

MKGIY
09-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Nice pics, damn you make all that stuff look good.

Mike

BKChic
09-30-2004, 11:53 AM
I think they look great for what you paid. Let's see what you have to say once they are installed and actually drive with them. Enjoy!

needforspd
09-30-2004, 11:57 AM
pics looks good (shot wise) and the seats themselves look like theyd match the interior (if black) pretty well. and they look pretty well made from the pics.
did the $530 include brackets n sliders?

audisnapr
09-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by needforspd
pics looks good (shot wise) and the seats themselves look like theyd match the interior (if black) pretty well. and they look pretty well made from the pics.
did the $530 include brackets n sliders?

seats include the sliders (which are built-in) and generic brackets. I opted for custom brackets from the same manufacturer who does all the major seats, ie: recaro, sparco, cobra, etc. The custom brackets are $60ea. Which by the way are still cheaper than the $100/ea brackets for sparco and recaro seats.

A4-disiac
09-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Those don't look bad at all. Look more like a seat than a bucket which is my main beef with race seats.

needforspd
09-30-2004, 12:04 PM
$650 for a pair of seats w/ sliders n custom brackets is a hell of a deal

making me rethink on gettin racing seats

EVIL-AUDI
09-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Installed they will look great. If I could figure out the heated seat feature, I'd be in.

pigliiit
09-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Do they have any different model (ie torino knock-off) and colors (black/gray combo)? Please PM me with info about where to get em. Thanks.

audisnapr
09-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
Installed they will look great. If I could figure out the heated seat feature, I'd be in.

oh yeah... forgot to mention. This company, as Evil knows, has three options available for these seats.

1. variable heaters installed - price of heaters is determined by number of variations of heating control, ie: (on/off), (on, setting 1, off) (on setting 1,2, off) etc.

2. Custom logos at the top of the seat, ie: audi, 0000, etc.

3. custom fabric and suede of course.

needforspd
09-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Can you PM me info?

808a41.8t
09-30-2004, 12:14 PM
audisnapr, where can i get these seats? i was thinking of saving up for some sounds, but for less than 700 for both seats, shiet sounds can wait... let me know. thanks

audisnapr
09-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by pigliiit
Do they have any different model (ie torino knock-off) and colors (black/gray combo)? Please PM me with info about where to get em. Thanks.

I don't think they do any other styles, but yes, they do have other colors and they can do combinations.

Benfica09
09-30-2004, 01:31 PM
damn!! those look great....I can't wait to see what you think when they are in the car. I just may have to get a set. this is excatly what i was looking for.

Zodiak
09-30-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm really curious to hear about how these hold up over time.

DarkkstaR
09-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Sick deal.

In for updates.

Where did you buy them?

ECA4
09-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Can you pm me where you got them

D Piddy
09-30-2004, 03:17 PM
yeah, let's get some info!! the holidays are comin and i got me a richass g/f!!

DarkkstaR
09-30-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by D Piddy
yeah, let's get some info!! the holidays are comin and i got me a richass g/f!!

Damn you :)

D Piddy
09-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by DarkkstaR
Damn you :)

hehe, she said pick out wut i want, so long as she'd like it and it's within reason(=800ish hopefully), oh yeaaah*duffman voice*

D Piddy
09-30-2004, 03:49 PM
PS, wut kidna camera did u use for those pics?

audisnapr
09-30-2004, 03:57 PM
ayight, ayight... everyone calm down. I'm waiting to hear back from the owner on a side deal for the photos and shooting his products. As soon as he hits me back, I'll let you all know where I got them from. Just be patient... it won't kill you. Trust me... I'm here to pass on the good word, I'm not trying to keep it secret. I just want this guy to know what good photos can do for his business. Currently his website photo leave A LOT to the imagination. That's why I took the chance and became the ginny pig.

DarkkstaR
09-30-2004, 04:30 PM
hehe, she said pick out wut i want, so long as she'd like it and it's within reason(=800ish hopefully), oh yeaaah*duffman voice*

**** seats get coilovers

audisnapr
10-01-2004, 06:55 AM
ayight all... even though my deal fell through with this guy, I am still gonna reveal where I got these. So without any more delay, here's the links:

this first link is an ebay link. he is selling his grey seats @ $399/pair right now because he is overstocked: grey seats (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7924517487&fromMakeTrack=true)

this second link is to his website. he won't let the black seats go for less that $499 because he only has about 5 sets left and won't be getting another shipment until Nov. sometime: black and colored seats (http://www.customracingseats.com/)

His name is Mark (mark@arizenracingsports.com) - really nice guy. If you do decide to buy or even just contact him, let him know that Joseph sent you. I unfortunately won't be getting any kick-backs, but at least he knows I sent some business his way.

DISCLAIMER: remember, I am not endorsing these seats, I am simply sharing with you my experience. [:D]

audisnapr
10-01-2004, 07:03 AM
PS, wut kidna camera did u use for those pics?

Canon 10d w/ Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L glass.

marked001
10-01-2004, 07:07 AM
better watermark those pics joe...so he doesnt go stealin em anyway [;)]

SAC_Audi
10-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Voice of Doom here...

You all realize that "knock-off seats" are not engineered the same way and so they may not be up to the higher quality and safety standards of "real seats". The are offered for a lower price because usually they're cheaper to make by using inferior material.

If you must buy these types of seats, I'd suggest you put them on an office chair base, pretend that you're driving your car while at work, and go by the real thing to put in your car where you life is at stake.

Voice of Doom OUT!!!

audisnapr
10-01-2004, 07:51 AM
I wondered when "DOOM" would show up.

quattroanillos5
10-01-2004, 08:19 AM
my only concern with getting seats like these is how will the cushion hold up over time.... will they be as comfortable two or three years down the road..... but i'm very interested to hear about how they feel and hold up..... keep us all posted

audisnapr
10-01-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by quattroanillos5
my only concern with getting seats like these is how will the cushion hold up over time.... will they be as comfortable two or three years down the road..... but i'm very interested to hear about how they feel and hold up..... keep us all posted

yeah, I would agree with that. They feel really good. But again, who knows how they will do over time. The nice thing about the Recaro SRD/Speed style seats is that the "inserts" on the seat are removable. So if anything happens to the leather or the cushions, they can be redone very easily.

SAC_Audi
10-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Being the "old fart" around here, I'm forced to put in my .000002 cents worth. I think the seats look fantastic, but would not personally entertain putting them in my car. Contribute that to many years of seeing others (as well as me) experience "you get what you paid for".

audisnapr
10-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by SAC_Audi
Being the "old fart" around here, I'm forced to put in my .000002 cents worth. I think the seats look fantastic, but would not personally entertain putting them in my car. Contribute that to many years of seeing others (as well as me) experience "you get what you paid for".

no worries SAC... I guess I would consider myself one of the semi-old farts on here too. But I was on a mission to find someone that carried a quality seat that doesn't carry the name-brand logo w/ the name-brand price. I'm aware that the name-brads have achieved their notoriety from years of experience and testing which can't be ignored... but they have all started somewhere.

Although I don't have any "crash test" data, I do know some of this company's background and felt comfortable enough to drop 1/3 of cash it would cost to get name-brand seats in the efforts to try something new. I felt the price paid was worth the 3-4 years (maybe) that I would get out of these seats.

As one AZ'r put it... there are a ton of knock off wheels out there (which may or may not be quality products) that no one has any problem putting on their cars even though the wheels is probably one of the most abused items on the car.

thanks for the input.

3 bar
10-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Those look pretty damm good! I need to pick up a set for my Raddo.

audisnapr
10-06-2004, 06:33 AM
ok... so the seats are in, I've had a chance to get some first impressions both on the track, around town driving, and on a 2 hour + drive. I'll try and break this down into sections to that I can be totally clear.

Installability
Installing the seats wasn't too much of a problem at all. Once I figured out how to get the OEM seats out, the new custom brackets and replica seats went right in without any major issues. I did find once I started the install that I was missing 8 bolts (M8X25) w/ lock washers. I called the bracket company to inquire, they said the seat company should have supplied them... yeah whatever. So I'm not sure why they didn't arrive. It didn't end up causing me too much grief since the local mom-n-pop hardware store had what I needed. Everything lined up without too much fuss and once installed, the seats felt secure.

Installed
My biggest concern with these new seats and the custom brackets was the height at which they would sit once installed. And although the brackets that come with the seat that bolt between the seat and the custom brackets has 3 holes to allow for selected height, I found that I was only able to choose the high or medium hole because some of the mounting bolts prohibited me from selecting the lowest hole.
Once installed, sure enough, the seats were too high. For those that normally slam their OEM seats all the way to the floor (like I did), you will find that this new seat height is way too high. It feels almost like you are sitting in a booster seat in your car. It's probably only 1/2-3/4" higher than the OEM's, but believe me, it really makes a difference. There is a way around this, and at some point I can write up a DIY'r for those that need it, but for now I'll just stick to the review.

Comfort
Overall comfort is good depending on what you are doing. The seat cushions are still very firm and probably still need to be broken in. Don't expect to sit in these seats and suddenly feel as if you are in heaven w/ lateral support. On a comfort scale from 1-10, I would give these a 6, compared to the OEM's at around 7. Hopefully that will change in time. It's hard to compare the two seats though, because each has it's own pro's and con's. The OEM's are softer, more forgiving, more comfortable, but the replica's have lumbar and lateral support. So a little give and take on both.
General around the town driving, the seats are fine. No real comfort issues. Again, since they have the lateral support you always feel like you are held in place very well.
On a longer drive (I drove to Pocono which was a 2+ hour drive) I was fine. Again, I wasn't in heaven, but I wasn't in pain either. Having the lumbar adjustment did really help. What I noticed was that no matter how much lumbar support I had, I needed to adjust it on a regular basis. I realized that what my back needed on a long drive was not so much lumbar or no lumbar, but variations throughout the trip; sometimes I needed a lot, sometimes I didn't and I adjusted it accordingly.

Support
As to be expected, support is where these seats will get better marks. Probably 8 to 8.5 . I'm sure there are a ton of performance and race seats out there that blow these away, but lets just assume I am comparing these to the OEM's. Both on the track and in spirited driving, these seats of course really help keep you in place. I don't think you need to sit in them to know this, just look at the photos. The lower bolsters are huge and have no problem keeping you right where you need to be. I had had concerns of material choice during my search, thinking leather/pleather would prove to be a bit slippery. But because I fit so perfectly in the lower cushion, I could have been sitting on a highly polished piece of plastic and not moved around. The upper bolsters are a little different story. As I mentioned in this thread earlier on, they seam to be a bit wide for me. What I found was that because they are a bit wide, it allowed me to move around a bit in order to get comfortable. If the upper bolsters were as snug as the lower, you really wouldn't have any room to just chill on daily driving. But once I was synched down with my harnesses on the track, the upper area wasn't a problem at all.

Overall
Overall, I am pleased. I was very disappointed that the seats sat so high, but like I said, there is a way to correct this if you are willing to drill a few new holes in the custom bracket and the seat sliders. I have already done this to the passenger side and am doing this to the driver's side today. Ultimately, it gets you down to a very reasonable height, if not very close to what the OEM's could do. Again, a big part of this all comes down to price. $499 for the seats and another $120 for the custom brackets seems to be a very reasonable price paid for seats that appear to be well made, and do their job. Durability will be the ultimate test for the value, but that review will have to be done some time down the road. Having new seats after 5 years of owning the car does take some getting used to. So you'll have to give them a chance before you just put them in and say I don't like them. Overall I am pleased with my purchase (although I wish I had just had some custom brackets made instead of purchasing the "correct" ones). It's nice to have the sporty seats in the car. Gives your interior that extra little sportiness that the OEM's just couldn't achieve.

If you have any questions, don't hesitat to post. This review could really help those like me that weren't quite sure about the replica seat market.

Here's a few pics of them in the car:

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/pocono/CRW_7021.jpg

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/pocono/CRW_7022.jpg

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/pocono/CRW_7023.jpg

marked001
10-06-2004, 07:09 AM
very nice review joe..... I definitely might pick a set of these up down the road...

MKGIY
10-06-2004, 07:25 AM
Sounds like they worked out for ya Joe. Nice score.

Mike

A4-disiac
10-06-2004, 07:36 AM
And they looked great in your car. I'm glad you're happy with them.

A4 in SC
10-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Nice review Joe, although a little long-winded for old people like me....[;)]

Seriously, they look GREAT in your car. I only wish seat manufacturers would start catering to 'car people' more and start matching upholstery on their seats with factory colors. Granted, that's alot of time and money invested, but considering what most aftermarket seats cost, I think it should happen. Anyone ever try to match Ecru?!?!? 'Ain't' gonna' happen....

Later,
Mike

ECA4
10-06-2004, 07:47 AM
I must say you are quite the photographer[:D]

kontesto
10-06-2004, 10:47 AM
I like them alot..only question that ocmes to mind is whether harnesses are a pain in the a$$ or not

KM

audisnapr
10-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by kontesto
I like them alot..only question that ocmes to mind is whether harnesses are a pain in the a$$ or not

KM

not 100% what you mean. The harnesses are installed for track purposes only. I still use the standard 3pnt seat belt for 99% of my driving.

here's a little plug for topspin. The harnesses in the photo, by topspin are installed in such a way that they are removed in about 30seconds. The rear two points are connected using two additional seat belt buckle style connections. So undoing the rear is a snap, literally. The front two connection also unhook with simple safety cam-lock style connections.

Once the main harness is removed, the only items left permanently on the car is the two rear buckle style connections which can be tucked under the rear seat and the front two connection which can be tucked under the front seat.

nizmosx
10-06-2004, 12:18 PM
a lot of people are forgeting that these seats are probably made in the same warehouse as most name brand seats, meaning they are probably made exactly the same as others without the product branding. In my marketing classes they explain this quite well. Your seats are probably left over material from a large order from sparco or recaro and they decided to use the left over material to make identical seats without product branding. it makes perfect sence that this could be a true statment. Just like when you buy either treetop apple juice or ralphs brand, most likely they are made in the same place. And to reply on the coment made by joe earlier, most people on here including myself are name brand sluts, but why do people always put knock off wheels on their car but are afraid to do it with seats. Rims have more contact on the the road and i beleive thats more of a safety issue than seats. How many of you have had a rim crack bend or warp, probably a million times more than a no name brand seat has ever failed in driving situations. These seats look befier and are probably constructed much beter than stock, my stock seats move around on me all the time and im sure yours do to. Sometimes thinking outside the box is not bad and i comend joe for doing so. If they will sell me just one seat i will pick it up because i TOO do not want a giant recaro or sparco killing the interior classiness even though i have enough money to buy those brands. keep us informed of how they perform at the track.

infinkc
10-06-2004, 12:27 PM
look very good, i have the real recaro srds in my car and they sit really low in the car, ive sat in many copies before and have to say that not one of them has even came close to how the real ones feel. I can sit in the seat for 6+ hour drives and have no aches at all. For the price i guess you get what you pay for, yours seem the best quality ones ive seen by far.

SFexBOY
10-06-2004, 12:31 PM
those look damn good!

SoleMate
10-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Wow! If my interior was black I'd definately seriously consider these.

ECA4
10-06-2004, 04:34 PM
They make other colors you know

Rieger_RS4
10-06-2004, 06:32 PM
These look awesome with te black interior. I might just pick those up since my interior is the same color.

Can you post some pics of how they look lower down, and how visible the brackets are.

hadokenny
10-06-2004, 06:59 PM
if they make those in black with blue alcantara insert i would get them!

BTW, How much do they weight compared to the stock ones?

Silvant
10-07-2004, 12:49 AM
jus wondering on long term wear and safety...
good deal on price. but im covered.

audisnapr
10-08-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by hadokenny
if they make those in black with blue alcantara insert i would get them!

BTW, How much do they weight compared to the stock ones?

they show that same combination on their website, so I assume they can do it. Might cost a little bit more.

OEM seats are bricks. I have the manual version so I can only assume that that the power seats weigh even more. The replica seats are lighter... I didn't weigh them, so I'm not exactly sure by how much. But when lifting them in and out of the car, you can definitely feel the difference.

C280 jr
10-30-2004, 06:32 PM
hey, just curious how the seats are holding up, reason im asking is my friend has some vynil seats, and they are fading color and tearing way sooner than they should.

Elvir

audisnapr
10-31-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by C280 jr
hey, just curious how the seats are holding up, reason im asking is my friend has some vynil seats, and they are fading color and tearing way sooner than they should.

Elvir

seats are holding up fine... but it's only been one month - so not sure that's a fair evaluation period. I can't imagine them showing signs of wear anytime soon though. They've seen a few long drives, daily drives to work and three track events thus far and all is good. I'll keep you guys posted.

Jooce
11-01-2004, 11:06 AM
would the heated seat feature be able to work with the heated seat controls on the dash?

audisnapr
11-01-2004, 11:15 AM
I have no idea... you would have to contact Mark at customracingseats.com - my guess is no.

Zodiak
11-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Jooce
would the heated seat feature be able to work with the heated seat controls on the dash?
I'm not sure, since I have never done it myself, but it probably wouldn't be hard to remove the heating elements from your stock seats and place them under (or inside) the cushion of the aftermarket seats.

fanuvbrak
11-01-2004, 12:45 PM
okay. great. now here's ANOTHER $700 i'll want to spend on my car. right now, judging from what i want to do versus what i paid for the car, i'll be running at a 49% mod to purchase price ratio.

this was supposed to be a nice, inexpensive car for me to drive back and forth to work. but i had to find audizine and now all disposable income goes to the car.

is there a mods anonymous site?

audisnapr
11-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by fanuvbrak
is there a mods anonymous site?

it's too late... it won't matter, just cancel your internet provider - that's the only way at this point.

audisnapr
06-03-2005, 07:28 AM
hey all... just wanted to drop in and give everyone an update on the replica seats I bought over 9 months ago. The update is inspired by the company's great customer service and desire to follow up on their product. This morning I got a phone call from Mark (owner) to see how my seats are holding up. This is actually about the third time he's called since my purchase to see how they are holding up ie: overall wear on the leather, function, performance, feedback, suggestions, etc.

I am happy to report that the seats are just as good as the day I bought them. No signs of wear at this point. All hardware is functioning just fine. And I am happy with the overall performance, both on the track and as a daily driver. [up]

If you have any questions for me, feel free to hit me up.

osofast10
06-28-2005, 06:46 PM
not to bring this up from the dead... but got any pics of the seats inside your car?

BranCKY3
06-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Look on page 2.

docurley
06-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Dam $700 just to ship, would have been a good buy to.

audisnapr
12-27-2005, 03:15 PM
hey guys... not to bring this thing back from the dead, but I've received several PM's regarding these seats and how they've held up thus far, so I thought I would go ahead and post what I wrote to one fellow AZ'r so the rest of you who might still be thinking about it can read as well.

--------
hey jim.... the seats are holding up great - actually, they should be since I don't drive nearly as much as I used to or the average commuter, so I may not be the best person to review the seats anymore. I probably spend a total of 1 hour a week in the car these days and at most 500-miles a month during this past summer.

The only one thing I've noticed is the driver's side lower left bolster foam is starting to soften up a bit. Visually it looks fine, but you can tell it has softened up just by feeling the passenger's seat or the right lower on the driver's. Obviously it gets the most abuse since you more or less slide across it every-time you get in and out. Other than that, the leather inners are fine and the rest of the synthetic is holding up great as well.

Not sure if I mentioned in my initial review, but one of the things I noticed upon purchase was that the mechanism that holds the lower portion to the upper portion of the seat does have a little too much slop for my tastes. With no one in the passenger seat while driving, it will rattle a bit. I spoke to the owner of the shop where I got the seats and he was willing to exchange the seats for me to this day - he says they have a new design on that mechanism and it has taken out the slop. I just have to drive up to Connecticut to have them swapped out.

As far as the mounting, I can tell you more about it should you need the help - but essentially I removed the middle of the three components and mounted the top to the bottom. I know that sounds like code or a riddle, but you'll see what I mean if you were to get them.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Use the email link if you want, I've haven't been around since winter hit. Good luck.

joseph.

p.s. I'm very happy with the seats - most who sit in them are pretty impressed as well. And considering the price I paid - seems like a good score for me.

Aliel
12-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Nice review man. You making me wanna buy these seats. Too bad I don't think they not will offer it in grey color. Man I wish I had a black interior so bad...

94jedi
12-28-2005, 07:13 AM
Hey guys, I sat in the passenger seat this past september and I was very impressed. everything was perfect as far as I could tell. The best thing to me was that these seats look like they could be factory installed. The fit and finish was great and performance wise, the had plenty of lateral support for my wide(fat american) frame. Joe made a great purchase on these.

Joe, the one question I have is how were they on the drive to H2O? Were they comfortable? Did you notice more or less fatigue? I'm interested in the long drive characteristics of these seats and "race" seats in general.

audisnapr
12-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by 94jedi
Joe, the one question I have is how were they on the drive to H2O? Were they comfortable? Did you notice more or less fatigue? I'm interested in the long drive characteristics of these seats and "race" seats in general.

yeah, I was shocked your fat-ass actually fit in my seats [:D] kidding of course.

actually, FOR me, these seats were far better than my OEM when it comes to long drives and fatigue. I was miserable in my OEM seats. I didn't have adjustable lumbar in the OEM's (I was using sweaters, towels, blankets, etc), which is the main reason I went with these rep's as opposed to the many others that are out there.

Somewhere in this thread I posted a review mid-way through... I think I mentioned that for me it's not that I need lots of lumbar or none at all. On a long drive I need to adjust it from time to time, because my back will get tired in the same position on the long drives. Sometimes I have a lot of lumbar, sometimes just a little. Having the adjustment for me was key.

The other good and bad thing on these seats was that the shoulder bolsters aren't nearly as snug as the lower bolsters. Good because on long drives you can lean to the side and relax if you want. Bad because on the track, they aren't as supportive as I think they should be. But fortunately my harness makes up for the lack of support in the shoulders.

Put it this way guys... for me it was the best bang for my buck at the time and I am very happy with the purchase. I do, however, want to get a full one-piece racing seat one of these days for the track. I'll pop out my two reps and drop in the one racing seat. It'll be lighter and more supportive. But for "spirited" driving on the way to H2O and other events, these are just fine.

Hope this helps.

Yuikio
12-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I've gotta second the claim that aftermarket seats are much, much more comfortable than the OEM sport seats, at least for me. After an hour and a half of driving, I would have to get out and stretch and walk around, because my lower back was killing me. I got onemoremile's Cobra seats, and they felt like they would be worse at first. They protrude quite a bit in the lower back, and I was afraid I made a huge mistake. But after a three hour drive, I feel totally fresh. It's magic.

I'm glad these worked out so well for you, audisnapr. These have a heating option as well, right? Custom embroidery, any color/fabric, and they're decently comfortable and supportive, for 700 shipped? Sounds like all this guy needs is more exposure.

keepmovingordie
12-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by docurley
Dam $700 just to ship, would have been a good buy to.

Huh?

docurley
01-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by keepmovingordie
Huh?

I live in the UK mate so shipping is a killer.

onemoremile
01-03-2006, 02:55 PM
i've had back pain from years of racing mountain bikes. my stock seats just weren't cutting it. the cobra daytonas were terrible for about a day. after i got used to them they were just great. now that i have the stock seats back in i can really appreciate how good those cobras were. night and day difference in comfort and support.

EH6
01-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Nice seats some interior shots would be cool

bitterchild
01-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by EH6
Nice seats some interior shots would be cool

page 2... come on man

tonggi
10-27-2006, 05:44 PM
how are these seats treating you now?

juju4uofa
10-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Ah, I was looking for this thread the other day. I'm also very anxious to know how these seats are holding up and what's going on with the company that made them.

audisnapr
10-31-2006, 06:19 AM
seats are fine - no problems other than the minor complaints I mentioned in my earlier posts in this thread. I'm still in touch with the owner from time to time - apparently they had their frames redesigned and improved eliminating some of the play in seat-back mechanism (one of my gripes). Everything about the seats seem to be fine; the leather is good, the feel and comfort are still good, etc. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, the cushion material in the driver's side lower bolster is softer than all the rest. It's the one that takes the most abuse as I slide in and out of the car.

having said all this - keep in mind, I drive 'maybe' 200-500 per month so I don't get nearly the same amount of seat time as most of you guys do.

tonggi
01-24-2007, 07:02 AM
has anyone bought a pair of these? If so can you post pics?

Im thinking of getting a pair since my seats are worn out and getting boring. I wonder what color would work best with the silver nappa color in my S4.

I was thinkign maybe recaro won't be so different price wise. Boy was I wrong. hahaha No way am I spending that money on seats.

onemoremile
01-24-2007, 03:59 PM
has anyone bought a pair of these? If so can you post pics?

Im thinking of getting a pair since my seats are worn out and getting boring. I wonder what color would work best with the silver nappa color in my S4.

I was thinkign maybe recaro won't be so different price wise. Boy was I wrong. hahaha No way am I spending that money on seats.

A respected forum member has tested and reviewed these seats and provided a nice comprehensive writeup. Click the link below and start at the top.

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22864

MultiAudis
01-24-2007, 05:12 PM
lol onemoremile!!! PS, can you go put some input in my downpipe thread if you have any? I have been waiting to see if you were gonna post all day lol

tonggi
01-25-2007, 07:05 AM
haha onemoremile, we are on that thread bro

lude2euroa4
01-25-2007, 07:23 AM
these seats are def sweet i was thinking about picking up a pair, but i think im done modding, time to save for a career builder or property

TQMB5
06-06-2007, 10:09 AM
bringing this back from the dead, looks like homeboy raised his prices to the cost of name brand racing seats... im pissed i wanted a pair of these for 600 bucks, now their 1600

audisnapr
06-06-2007, 10:25 AM
bringing this back from the dead, looks like homeboy raised his prices to the cost of name brand racing seats... im pissed i wanted a pair of these for 600 bucks, now their 1600

homeboy (mark) did raise the price, but not to $1600. I'm pretty sure if you look at the top of the page on his site, the $800 (or whatever it is) price tag is still for two seats. FYI, he's made a lot of improvements since I bought mine. The newer frames, deaper bolsters and lumbar mech. is much better than it used to be.

We still stay in touch as he's always interested in hearing how mine are holding up. He's a good guy.

FYI, for those who track their car, Mark is offering a sub belt hole now too. He didn't have that when I bought mine and the club I run with no longer allows a 4pnt harness. It's 5 or OEM 3pnt.

http://www.arizenracingsports.com/page/arizen/PROD/Seats/ArizenBlk-L

TQMB5
06-06-2007, 06:45 PM
awesome, i didnt know that price was for 2, it didnt say that anywhere. and yes now there are tons of options for the seats, im thinking of getting some now thanks for clearing it up! i want to do black with slate alcantara

TQMB5
06-06-2007, 06:45 PM
and by not saying it anywhere on the page i mean im a dumb ass... it couldnt be in bigger lettering

audisnapr
06-07-2007, 01:56 PM
and by not saying it anywhere on the page i mean im a dumb ass... it couldnt be in bigger lettering

[;)] I knew you'd figure it out at some point. That's why I posted the link for you.

docurley
06-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I so love these seats if shipping was cheaper I would order a set.

casawhites4
09-13-2007, 09:36 PM
so can i keep my seat heater function if i get these seats??? sorry to bring it up from the dead??? which option would i use if i wanted to keep the seat heater option...

Bic-Ball
09-13-2007, 09:46 PM
that first picture on the site...is that the driver's seat? i dont know how the hell you are supposed to get access to those knobs if it is.

sean1.8t
09-13-2007, 09:49 PM
so can i keep my seat heater function if i get these seats??? sorry to bring it up from the dead??? which option would i use if i wanted to keep the seat heater option...

read post #57 & #58

audisnapr
09-14-2007, 06:02 AM
read post #57 & #58

haha - well, since post 57 and my reply 58, I have been informed. You will not be able to retain your OE heated seat switch/dial. If you elect to have Mark add heaters to these seats, it comes with its own wiring and dial/switch which will need to be installed somewhere. I would still check with Mark and see if he has an updated version.

BTW guys, I actually bought a second pair of his racing seats - I'll post up some new pics detailing their changes [up]

B5Burn
09-14-2007, 06:24 AM
I'm really curious to hear about how these hold up over time.

Ditto. I am on the larger side (6'2" 230) and while these look really good, I'd be one of the first to likely see issues.. us larger guys put a little more wear and tear down esp on the bottom seat bolsters, padding and webbing (the support part under the seat).

Keep us posted.

B.

B5Burn
09-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Oh god... wow this thread is an oldie... I see the performance is holding up. I have Recaro's in my GLI so I hope these last.. I might be a guy to go with the named version.. but looks like these are doing well for you.

Is there plastic/metal deep inside the bolsters? or is it alllll foam?

audisnapr
09-14-2007, 06:34 AM
Oh god... wow this thread is an oldie... I see the performance is holding up. I have Recaro's in my GLI so I hope these last.. I might be a guy to go with the named version.. but looks like these are doing well for you.

Is there plastic/metal deep inside the bolsters? or is it alllll foam?

metal frame inside all the bolster and of course covered with foam.

btw, the their newer seats have even deeper and narrower upper bolsters, a new and improved lumbar mechanism and the option of a sub belt which they didn't have before.

casawhites4
09-15-2007, 10:15 AM
what is the sub belt option?? what options did you go with??

casawhites4
09-15-2007, 01:28 PM
do they still sit as high?? i slam my oem seat to the bottom, and i was playing around with it, and that is still the only way i like it

audisnapr
09-17-2007, 06:48 AM
what is the sub belt option?? what options did you go with??

the subbelt option is the slot in the lower cushion for the 5th (and 6th) belt of a racing harness. It's only an option you would chose if you plan on tracking your car.

I went with the basic premium leather package. Full leather this time instead of leather centers and pleather outers. Did not go with heated seats though - just didn't want to spend the extra cash.

I'll be doing a full review on them soon hopefully. Haven't actually installed them yet and need to get some photos before I do for you guys to see.

do they still sit as high?? i slam my oem seat to the bottom, and i was playing around with it, and that is still the only way i like it

the base cushions, and for the most part, the seat, is still pretty much the same and will sit high if installed on the generic audi a4 brackets. I customized my original setup and will likely do the same with these. I too had my OE slammed and it's the only way I can drive it (especially with a helmet).

Black_97 A4
09-17-2007, 09:02 AM
We should get a group buy on these seats

C280 jr
03-13-2008, 08:50 PM
any updates on these seats, condition that they are in right now?

Elvir

biketsai
03-13-2008, 09:01 PM
x2

audisnapr
03-14-2008, 06:28 AM
nothing really new to report. seats are holding up just fine.

the leather inners are just as I bought them as well are the leatherette outers.

the only one thing I mentioned earlier in this thread was that the lower, left seat bolster of the driver's seat has softened up a bit since that is the bolster I tend to slide over when getting in and out of the car. The passenger seat, btw, is in like new condition since it doesn't see nearly as much ass time as the driver seat.

I heard a rumor that the company selling these seats might have a whole new, more aggressive line of seats coming out. I check the website from time to time but have yet to see anything new.

[up]

Blake260
03-14-2008, 07:00 AM
what is the website
?

audisnapr
03-14-2008, 07:07 AM
http://www.arizenracingsports.com/page/arizen/CTGY/Seats

Blake260
03-14-2008, 07:38 AM
sorry just saw it on page three

onemoremile
03-14-2008, 10:20 AM
the only one thing I mentioned earlier in this thread was that the lower, left seat bolster of the driver's seat has softened up a bit since that is the bolster I tend to slide over when getting in and out of the car.

That is just something that happens. My wife's Outback has full leather and is like that even though she drives it 99% of the time and is built like Cameron Diaz. Lanolin or leather or pleather conditioner can help fix or prevent that.

Thanks again to Joe for being our guinea pig. There was a lot of skepticism surrounding these seats as the price was too good to be true. The longevity speaks for itself.

317ssayzarc
03-14-2008, 08:03 PM
nothing really new to report. seats are holding up just fine.

the leather inners are just as I bought them as well are the leatherette outers.

the only one thing I mentioned earlier in this thread was that the lower, left seat bolster of the driver's seat has softened up a bit since that is the bolster I tend to slide over when getting in and out of the car. The passenger seat, btw, is in like new condition since it doesn't see nearly as much ass time as the driver seat.

I heard a rumor that the company selling these seats might have a whole new, more aggressive line of seats coming out. I check the website from time to time but have yet to see anything new.

[up]

hey that guy, mark, is he open to the public generally? im somewhat local and would like to buy a set, but id like to sit in them first... figure ill go down there and see if i like em, if so, ill take a set or wait till they have em in stock if need be [drive]

biketsai
03-14-2008, 11:18 PM
so a pair for $500?
Do they make it in white?tan?

317ssayzarc
03-14-2008, 11:19 PM
so a pair for $500?
Do they make it in white?tan?

click on the link above... the price has gone up

biketsai
03-14-2008, 11:27 PM
ahhh, that sucks.
maybe a future mod for sure.

audisnapr
03-15-2008, 07:41 AM
hey that guy, mark, is he open to the public generally? im somewhat local and would like to buy a set, but id like to sit in them first... figure ill go down there and see if i like em, if so, ill take a set or wait till they have em in stock if need be [drive]

mark is a great guy (at least over the phone). give him a call and see if you can stop by. tell him you saw the thread on AZ that joseph posted way back when so he knows where you got the info.

yeah, the prices have gone up so its not as sweet of a deal as it used to be, but its still a decent price for a pair of seats... seats that he continues to improve. Picking them up with save you a good chunk of cash. [up]

317ssayzarc
03-15-2008, 12:06 PM
mark is a great guy (at least over the phone). give him a call and see if you can stop by. tell him you saw the thread on AZ that joseph posted way back when so he knows where you got the info.

yeah, the prices have gone up so its not as sweet of a deal as it used to be, but its still a decent price for a pair of seats... seats that he continues to improve. Picking them up with save you a good chunk of cash. [up]

will do [up]... thanks!

Rhinop21
03-15-2008, 03:06 PM
i dont get Y u doodz need 2 git race seets. are you even racers? i race almost every day, pretty much anyone i see on DA streets. Civics, integras, or even a MAZDA 3 thoz are the cars i take down daily and i dont be needin no race seats fa DAT

audisnapr
03-15-2008, 03:16 PM
i dont get Y u doodz need 2 git race seets. are you even racers? i race almost every day, pretty much anyone i see on DA streets. Civics, integras, or even a MAZDA 3 thoz are the cars i take down daily and i dont be needin no race seats fa DAT

everyone has their reasons, but that's beside the point. racing as you call it, on the street is completely irresponsible and down right dumb. keep it on the track bud. [drive]

<<edit>> perhaps you were just kidding - I hope so for everyone's sake.

Yaktizzle417
03-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Ricer

317ssayzarc
03-15-2008, 03:27 PM

what was the way you ended up getting the seats really low? you said something bout drilling 2 holes or something... im 6'2" and i dont like the oem seats even at their lowest position...

vinceypoo
09-02-2012, 03:05 AM
necrobumpin this bitch! any chance anyone knows where to get these seats? or comparable ones? the website you/he bought it from doesnt carry it anymore it looks like