PDA

View Full Version : questions on repairs

Speck
09-30-2004, 07:18 AM
I keep hearing about the problems with an 01 A4, but what I want to know is, if you replace the control arms.... is that it? Do you have to replace them every certain amount of miles, or is it a defective thing to be done once? What about the water pump, is that every timing belt? And the MAF sensor, if that gets replaced, is that it?

I guess mainly what I want to know is are these problems from defective mechanics or do they just have to be changed every time?

And to tack on: How can I tell if the coilpacks have been changed from the original bad ones? What about the control arms? MAF sensor? :)

Thanks!!

millerracer
09-30-2004, 07:22 AM
My 01 is a late model '01... october, and it has 72K on it with no control arm problems to date... who knows though - it could need them tomorrow... if you do replace them - look at ECS tuning's beefier rod end kit.

mm

EVIL-AUDI
09-30-2004, 07:28 AM
I've got an 01.5 and the only real issue I've had is a bad MAF.

Speck
09-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Good to hear that these issues are not involving everyone. I was planning on replacing any parts that need repair or whatnot with upgraded aftermarket parts. (Maybe the K03 will die on the way home with it, heheh)

But, what I wanted to know, and I may already know the answer. If I were to replace the control arms with OEM control arms, or the MAF sensor with an OEM one, can I expect to have to replace them again? Or are the newer parts that Audi uses, more robust in fixing the problems?

EVIL-AUDI
09-30-2004, 08:32 AM
With the MAF it's possible to blow it out again. Then again that is possible with alot of electrical parts. The control arms however being a whole different story depending on the miles and abuse you put on those aswell.

millerracer
09-30-2004, 08:49 AM
i agree with evil... I drive race cars for a living - so I baby my audi - spends a lot of time on the highway - and I terrorize the rental cars (get the insurance... the added fun is worth it)[cool]

Your suspension really depends on the previous owners and location/road conditions... I have no clue on the MAF sensor.. never really thought about it...

the '01 turbos are much better than earlier models (replaced 2 turbos on a '98 1.8t... with the bad lines, etc - that sucks).. other than the control arms - I know of no real problems.

mm

EVIL-AUDI
09-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Good luck, and if you do get an 01+, get the GIAC X chip. Thank me later.

Speck
09-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks!!

Now, the X chip.... I am most likely going to get a Tip, as much as I love stick, wife can't do it, and I want to make her happy. Will that chip work? And what is with this "Tip chip" I am reading? Do I need 2 chips in this instance?

MKGIY
09-30-2004, 10:54 AM
You would need two chips. The tip chip imporves the shift time and the Xchip gives you more power.

Mike

BKChic
09-30-2004, 12:01 PM
I've already gotten the MAF, 1 control arm, and 1coilpack replaced with 82K miles. Hopefully nothing blows to crap this winter. especially being that the warrenty is up at 90K

Speck
09-30-2004, 01:26 PM
Wasn't there a recall on the coilpacks? I believe I just saw a post with a link in it that had a quote from a VoA guy saying they replace all CPs with new ones....

BKChic
09-30-2004, 03:51 PM
I think the recall was on 01's and up i am a 00. Coilpack wasnt the pblm anyways. Dealer just had no clue