PDA

View Full Version : Quattro and Floods

fanuvbrak
09-29-2004, 08:06 AM
I live in the Philly area and when I left work last night, almost every road was closed due to flooding. I was able to find some neighborhood roads that were flooded but not closed and make my way home (a two and a half hour drive when it usually takes 50 minutes).

This is my first Audi and it's all stock (won't be after this Friday...I can't wait!).

First off, quattro is a dream on wet/flooded roads. As good, if not better than my wife's Envoy.

The question I have is: how deep can this go before you f*** something up. The water got to as deep as six inches in some spots and I was kind of nervous.

A4-disiac
09-29-2004, 08:17 AM
well you don't wanna go too deep, water may start coming into the car. Which would ruin the carpet. Air intake is up by your gril/headlight so I guess that would be the absolute deepest you can go. Although I would highly recommend against testing that.

marked001
09-29-2004, 08:24 AM
..roads were definitely outta control last night [:(]

SeanF
09-29-2004, 08:38 AM
if no water comes into the cabin, the water can come up to about 6" from the bottom of the headlight...

although, anything deeper than a foot to a foot and a half can pick your car up and carry it away...

Pureaudi
09-29-2004, 08:39 AM
yea dud if you get water in your air intake your ****ed mang.

marked001
09-29-2004, 08:41 AM
...are there any differential vents or anything?

EVIL-AUDI
09-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Nope

A4-Vblack
09-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Snorkel - if Hummer can do it - so can an Audi...............

Daft
09-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
Nope

The tranny has a vent on the top edge near the floor pan. The tranny also has holes that let air into the clutch/flywheel area but, there are holes at the bottom of the bell housing to let water/oil drip out.

There is also a breather on the rear diff. It is located above the driver's side axle flange on the diff housing.

Theoretically, these vents shouldn't let water in but, if the vent is fully submerged for a while, the water may seep in. The breathers are not one way valves, they are only a vent with a trap to keep oil from leaking out.

Numbersix
09-29-2004, 10:27 AM
PHL was bad last night. Friend's C230 was swallowed up by a flash flood in Wayne...it's totalled.

I'd not want to drive through water that's more than 6"-8" deep. You run the risk of getting water intrusion into things like wheel bearings (on some cars), seals, and in some cases you can break your plastic cooling fan if water hits it while it's engaged. (Ask the military how many Hummer fans they've replaced.)