PDA

View Full Version : Engine code

a4t5
09-28-2004, 07:08 PM
on my 99 1.8t, my check engine light came on, i used my the climate control to check for any codes but it reads that there arent any. what could be the problem? if the maf was bad would it show a code? and could i see the code with the on board diagnostic system through the climate control. i dont have a vag-com so im doing whatever i can with what i can. i had just finished cleaning my air filter. I accidently hit the inside of the Maf (sensor part) with my screwdriver.

cj-S4
09-28-2004, 08:56 PM
If the CEL is on there are codes. You need to get it scanned with a vag or even go to the Auto parts store. Alot of them are scanning cars for free like AutoZone. If you can get me a number I can get you some direction. But with no number I have no clue, it could be a million things.

a4t5
09-28-2004, 09:13 PM
thanks

a4t5
09-29-2004, 02:47 PM
i havent been able to get a code yet, the autozones in my are dont scan for free, i need to rent it for 180 bucks. So im going to try and do that. I thought the car was running fine, but it feels really sluggish now, and it doesnt boost over 5 or 6 psi. Does this put me in any direction of what it could be?

also does this harm the engine if i drive it like this, because im really limited on cash, but if it needs to get fixed then ill do it, how long can my car run in this mode before i start messing it up. The only driving i do is on average of 15 miles a day, maybe that.

a4t5
09-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Maf is done. Looked at the sensor chip inside the maf housing and part of it is broken, just left dangling.

heliotrpic
09-29-2004, 04:26 PM
$180 will almost buy you a vag-com from ross-tech. CEL isn't life threatening till it's blinking, at least thats hat I have gathered from what everyone here on the boards has said.

karl

a4t5
09-29-2004, 09:41 PM
ill probably end up getting one. later when more money is available. but atleast now i know its the whole Maf needing to be repalced.

cj-S4
09-30-2004, 06:00 AM
$180? Wow,, just buy a VagCom. Its a great tool to have it you own an Audi.