PDA

View Full Version : HID problem, bulb out for no reason...

bikerbob951
07-29-2008, 07:05 AM
Hey all, new to the 'zine, not new to forums...

I've searched, and can't find the answer to my problem. I have 6000K VVME HID in 2-piece depo projectors that were made for HID, and I've had no problem up until recently. I replaced my high beam bulbs with 3000K halogen bulbs for extra long distance viewing, and my driver-side HID won't light. Everything else lights just like it should... Any ideas? I'm going to try switching the ballasts, and I've already double checked the connections, i'm kinda lost. I'm a DIY guy, but electrical still confuses me. please help!

Bob

Seerlah
07-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Maybe triple check those connections. And after that, quadroople check them. And there is a fuse dedicated to each low beam separate. Check those also. One of those more than likely is the culprit. If none of those are the reason, get a new bulb.

bikerbob951
07-29-2008, 11:48 AM
oh, each low beam has it's own fuse? That sounds promising...
You don't happen to know the fuse numbers, do you?

~Bob

Seerlah
07-29-2008, 12:03 PM
It is the slot all the way to the top, to the right, one down.

Low beam left (I am going by driver's view)

But in case, the slot all the way at the top, last one on the right is for the other low beam.

Stampy
07-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Bob,

Did you try just swapping the bulbs from side to side? That is a pretty simple way to determine of its the ballast or the bulb. Did this happen as soon as you swapped in the different high beams?

bikerbob951
07-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Yes, this happened as soon as I changed high beam bulbs. I suppose I could have jarred the bulb and broke it, but I doubt it, i was being extremely cautious.

Stampy
07-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Swap the HID bulbs and see if the problem remains. I don't know how, but I have heard of people putting wrong wattage bulbs in a frying wires. I would double check that fuse like mentioned before too. My experience with HID bulbs has been that they are pretty sturdy. Double check the connections, swap the bulbs, try taking out the highbeams, check the fuse. Lotsa options..honestly though, its probably something simple.

bikerbob951
07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Hmmm, I tried the fuse, it looks fine...

I'll try to dig into the bulbs late this weekend.

Seerlah
07-30-2008, 10:37 AM
I was not even thinking about what Stamps said. Switch the ballasts to see if that is the issue (more easier than doing changinng bulbs in my opinion). That should determine if it is the bulb or not if all connections are correct and the fuse is not blown. Or it could be the ballast itself.

DamagedGoods
08-24-2008, 05:08 AM
Bob,

Did you get it figured out? I have the same problem with my VVME kit, the issue I have is that I'll have both working properly then the drivers will go out and the pass works, next day its vise versa. This is driving me nuts because I know its not the fuses or bulbs or ballasts, wiring is fine as everything works fine most of the time. Could this be electrical surge related, I've had someone mention a resistor to me but I dont know where to start and the tech who told me about it did not go into detail.

audinutt
08-24-2008, 07:16 PM
I had to relay my vvme's due to the heat of summer last year and haven't had an issue since.
I too was experiencing bulbs that simply wouldn't ignite seemed to be directly related to heat. maybe you are experiencing the same.

-richard