PDA

View Full Version : Soft brakes

Calabria
07-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Recently, my brakes have been feeling veryy soft. I got new pads a couple months ago, but a week ago, my ABS light came on and now comes on often. Could my ABS module be my weak link with the soft brakes, or could something else be busted...

audiness
07-28-2008, 03:17 PM
bleed your brakes

Calabria
07-28-2008, 04:46 PM
whats a good brake fluid to replace the OEM stuff.

biketsai
07-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Valvoline Dot 4 . But i just piocked up some oem

djwimbo
07-28-2008, 06:35 PM
I've been using the Valvoline SynPower. It's pretty decent for the price, and I don't really have brake fade anymore.

... If your brake fluid doesn't look like the color of Bud Light, flush it out.

Calabria
07-30-2008, 05:07 PM
My brake fluid looks like ocean water...the dirty kind.

onemoremile
07-30-2008, 06:46 PM
ATE Typ 200. Great dry and wet temps, 12 bucks for more than enough, and it doesn't have the blue dye that makes for a squeaky clutch.

Calabria
07-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Dont need wet temps, im in So.Cal, but i was thinking some Motul...

audiluxary
07-30-2008, 09:09 PM
http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=949

and for harsher conditions...

http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=775

Just picked some up, wow I am just whoring out PureMS today[:D]

onemoremile
07-31-2008, 05:58 AM
Dont need wet temps, im in So.Cal, but i was thinking some Motul...

Time for a little lesson.

New fluid is rated at the dry temp. As it ages it absorbs water and this is what the wet temp is all about. The water lowers the max operating temp of the fluid. Higher wet temp usually means it either lasts longer or is less hygroscopic. It is a good thing regardless of your climate.

NOTE: Do not use the blue fluid. Typ 200 is amber and is otherwise the same. The blue dye can make your clutch pedal squeak and drive you nuts. It will occasionally squeak even years after it is flushed and refilled with amber. Guess how I know...

ATE Super Blue Racing High Performance Brake Fluid is designed to excel within the extreme demands made on a race vehicle and exceeds all DOT4 standards. It is compatible with and will mix well with most DOT3, DOT4, or DOT 5.1 fluids.

The formula offers a minimal drop in boiling point resulting in a long-lasting fluid that may not need to be changed for up to 3 years under normal highway driving conditions. Products with a lower wet boiling point have to be replaced considerably more often (e.g., DOT3 products should be replaced annually). The overall high dry and wet boiling points make this fluid an excellent choice for street driven vehicles, too, where brake fluid is flushed less frequently than that in race-driven vehicles.

Features/Benefits of ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid:

* Blue tint of fluid makes bleeding brakes easier
* Ideal for race use, excellent choice for street driven vehicles, too
* Boiling point minimum: 536 degrees F
* Wet boiling point minimum: 388 degrees F
* Viscosity at -104 degrees F: max 1,400 mm 2/5
* Designed to last up to 3 years under normal highway driving conditions

To maintain the functional reliability of brake systems, brake fluid must be changed according to the specifications of the vehicle manufacturer (quality and change interval). In race/track applications, it becomes even more critical that the brake fluid is routinely changed to maintain optimum performance.

For race applications, vehicle owners will often alternate fluid flushes between ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid and ATE TYP 200 Amber Brake Fluid. The identical specifications of the fluid and color difference make it easy to know when the old fluid is completely flushed out of the system.

Calabria
07-31-2008, 02:45 PM
Ighttt, very well, whats wrong with this then http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=949

gotaudi
07-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Dont need wet temps, im in So.Cal

[rolleyes] LOL

audiluxary
07-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Ighttt, very well, whats wrong with this then http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=949

I guess you did not see my post up their! Their is nothing wrong with Motul, it does have a lower wet boiling point than the above fluid in onemoremile's post but not by much. If you are just doing street driving than that will be fine. If you take your car to the track at all then the other Motul I posted would be better for you.