PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know???

cbass
09-28-2004, 12:46 PM
...If an automatic transmission from an S4 or any 2.7T car would fit on a B5 A4? I already have the tiptronic, and I want something that could handle more added power. The current tranny won't last too long under more power. I am just curious, I know it's a long shot, and I know they are different engines too, but any thoughts/insight is appreciated!

audlman
09-28-2004, 12:52 PM
im not really sure on this one. some one will know, but im guessing the S4 engine bay is most liely the same as the A4. Although the S4 engine is different, it might fit, im not sure.

fanuvbrak
09-28-2004, 12:52 PM
I asked that specific question when I ordered the GIAC chip from AWE-Tuning. They told me the tip-tronic would actually perform better with the increased power and torque. They also said the Tip-Chip would lengthen the life of the tranny.

Of course, it depends on how MUCH power you're adding...

EVIL-AUDI
09-28-2004, 12:54 PM
I know in the manual swaps you would need to run the S4 rear diff aswell. I have not heard of a tip swap however

cbass
09-28-2004, 12:59 PM
So the manual S4 trannys do bolt up OK though? to the 1.8T engine that is?

audlman
09-28-2004, 01:01 PM
im gonna say yes, but not 100%.

EVIL-AUDI
09-28-2004, 01:03 PM
Not a 100% boolt up, but yes it's been done. 2.8 tranny bolts up though.

cbass
09-28-2004, 01:08 PM
well, I don't plan on adding too much power, for starters, it would just be a chip and exhaust, but what I am worried about is the mileage that is already on the car. 101,000 miles. The engine itself is in great shape though, I have done compression tests, and all the cylinders are still in the specified range for a new engine! The turbo will definately go out before the engine, and when it does, I would want to go with a bigger turbo kit. That's when I would probably really need the more robust tranny

jones3000
09-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by cbass
well, I don't plan on adding too much power, for starters, it would just be a chip and exhaust, but what I am worried about is the mileage that is already on the car. 101,000 miles. The engine itself is in great shape though, I have done compression tests, and all the cylinders are still in the specified range for a new engine! The turbo will definately go out before the engine, and when it does, I would want to go with a bigger turbo kit. That's when I would probably really need the more robust tranny

good job thinking ahead. Most will just add power to their car with no regard for anything else. I'll be curious to see if you do it....just to know it's been done.

cbass
09-28-2004, 03:34 PM
the want part of it is definately there, "it's balls out or nuthin'" for me, haha. I really would like to do it, and I have found some pretty good deals on lower mileage trannys, but I'm also trying to go to school too, and don't have that much cash just growin' on trees in the backyard, ya know? If I do it, I will for sure be letting everyone know.

Keep posting if anybody has anymore specifics relating to this!!

duffman1101
09-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by cbass

I have chip, intake, exhuast, and tip chip on my stock tip.... and i'm at 120k. should be fine as long as it's in good shape anyway