PDA

View Full Version : So I am getting some clunks and rattles after coilover install.....

big_greasy_taco
07-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Any tips on how to get rid of them? Its weird, the noises only come from small bumps and undulations in the road, at low speeds; big bumps at high speeds are quiet. The one thing I didn't do is replace the nylock nuts upon reassembly, though I dont see how that would make noise. Any advisment would be great[wrench]

Poopie
07-24-2008, 09:58 AM
coming from the front or the rear? If its the rear its the upper strut bolt that is probably loose.

big_greasy_taco
07-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Front driver side and and rear passenger side.

I will go out and re-tighten everything... If i had to guess I would say it is the upper strut bolt now that you mention it, the noise from the rear sounds like it is almost in the interior, so it must be coming from something high up IE upper strut bolt?

sixfiveoh
07-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah mine does this too in the rear, everything is tight though, it's been doing it for months... [:/]

Ayefore
07-24-2008, 02:29 PM
My friend that that in his MKV GTI. He when with the H&R Coilover Premiums.

There was a Dampener adjustment at the bottom of his strut that was adjustable with an allen wrentch and locked down with a nut. His was lose enough to spin by hand. so we adjusted both side the same amount of turns and buttoned everything up.

I would say this is really easy to look over as H&R's dont come with installation instructions or anything.

sixfiveoh
07-24-2008, 02:29 PM
My H&Rs are not dampening adjustable

ExpLlclT
07-26-2008, 01:41 PM
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3384/21428768gf3.jpg

mine does that in the front,it was because the rubber bushing thats in between the spring and the strut mount had a piece of metal too small to put in my new coilover. if you had this problem or didn't reuse the stock rubber bushing than that could be it, again check any bolt in the job that you may have touched it never hurts to double check hope my paint illustration helped

big_greasy_taco
08-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Well i found where the rear noise was coming from, but i cannot identify the culprit. It is coming from somewhere near the upper strut bolt, inside the upper shock housing. I pulled the everything apart trying to find it, but nothing seems like it would make a noise. The bolts were tight and there was no slop. any ideas?