PDA

View Full Version : Valve Problems

Mooseimage
07-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Sup all. I changed my oil today with 4 L of Motul 5W40 cause it was time and the Mobil 1 in my car was pissing me off. Never buy it again. EVER! Expensive as hell (came out to like $65) but car feels so much better. Had to buy it from a motorcycle shop.

Anyways, I did the change in my auto class, and I start the car and I notice that there is a noise coming from my engine, like a tic-tic-tic or something. Whatever the sound sounded like, my teacher came and listened to it, and said it is a possibility that one of my valves timing or something (don't remember if that was it or not) was off and needed to be adjusted. Is he right?

I would have noticed it sooner, but when I had the Mobil 1 in, my entire car sounded and felt like that noise, so I wouldn't have been able to tell from before.

Any knowledge to share on this matter?

Stampy
07-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Valve chatter....which is common. Its kind of like a standard feature. It could also be injector tick.

Mooseimage
07-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Standard feature? Man, that is one feature I can go without. O well, at least everytime I pop the hood with the engine running, I'll always know that one valve is still running at all times. So I should hope that it never goes away, or I'm in big _____(place term here).

[rolleyes][wrench][drive]

Stampy
07-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Seafoam the ho and see if it helps. I used a $2 bottle of some CD-2 oil detergent additive that made my valve chatter go away. Others use that Lucas oil additive. Couple of different ways to deal with it, assuming thats what it is.

audinutt
07-22-2008, 08:31 PM
should not be a feature mine has over 200k and only gets an occasional ticking on startup!

-richard

Nebone
07-22-2008, 09:33 PM
The ticking could be your cam chain tensioner. It sits under the valve cover at the back of the motor.

legionvr6
07-22-2008, 11:33 PM
uummm theirs a thingy on the eva system that makes a very anoying sound.

yes thingy is a very hardcore automotive term

MattzWarsteiner
07-23-2008, 12:30 AM
The instructor might have been referring to valve lash adjustment which is not needed on an engine with cam followers..... aka lifters < < for non OHC engines.

vegaspassat
07-23-2008, 02:29 AM
you only put 4 liters of oil in it? I would have thought it would need more. My 2.8 takes like 6.5 or something crazy like that.

~D