PDA

View Full Version : Bad Vibes

jefferson88
09-27-2004, 04:33 PM
I was driving to Montreal and my car would start shaking every now and then if I went above 120 kmph. It felt like a wheel was going to fall off or something. On the way home it happened the whole ride again anytime I was doing over 120 kmph. Also, when I got on the gas or took my foot off quickly, it seemed like something was clunking in the back wheels like the differential kicking in or out... My dad said it sounds like a universal joint. Anyone have any ideas or a similar problem?

ps the wheels are properly balanced with hub centric rings so I don't think they could be the culprit.

Pureaudi
09-27-2004, 04:57 PM
mabie its god telling you not to go over 120 mph. hehe

MNQuattroGuy
09-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Somethin like this happened to me. They said it was some sort of line that cracked and has to deal with the quattro. It was only like 30 bucks to fix.

skene
09-27-2004, 05:03 PM
ummm.... Kilometers per hour..... not Miles per hour.

He was doing around the range of ~75mph.

100kmph is 62 mph.

Please learn how to convert the two before you make yourself look like an idiot.

SEXIC─N
09-27-2004, 05:37 PM
HAHA^^^^ owned!!

MR VTEC
09-27-2004, 05:53 PM
skene take it easy...... sheesh.
your like the grouch of audizine [:D]

WRX2A4
09-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Check the wheel bearing. Also, make sure that the bolt that attatches the rotor/wheel setup to the wheel bearing is tight. I experienced similar problems with another car. It sounded like a helicopter taking off (not as loud, but same sort of sound). so if that is the type of sound it may be one of those two.
D

SEXIC─N
09-27-2004, 08:27 PM
he may be the grouch, but he is still funny

SeanF
09-27-2004, 09:10 PM
http://www.offroadrangers.com/forums/images/smilies/owned.gif

jefferson88
09-28-2004, 04:35 AM
There isnt a sound.... just the vibrations.

pigliiit
09-28-2004, 08:47 AM
he is in montreal. maybe you have snow packed in your wheel throwing the balance off. try rotating your wheels to see if it helps. that would eliminate the balance issue (prob should move with wheel).

RedRocket
09-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by pigliiit
he is in montreal. maybe you have snow packed in your wheel throwing the balance off. try rotating your wheels to see if it helps. that would eliminate the balance issue (prob should move with wheel).

Maybe you have snow packed into your head, it's throwing your balance off.

awe4rings
09-28-2004, 10:42 AM
OWNED...every one else got to say it so heres my chance heh.

jones3000
09-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by pigliiit

that's what I would have said. Plus I experienced the same thing this winter. I just drove really fast(on a clean road) and it went away.

audisnapr
09-28-2004, 11:46 AM
double check the balance of your wheel. Just cause the guy at the tire shop says he balanced it, doesn't mean it's balanced. A weight could have fallen off or the tire may just not be that true of a tire. The easiest way to trouble shoot it is to take one of your back tires off, and swap it with the front. If it stops shaking, then your tire was not true.

I had the same problem... I thought one of my rotors had a high spot or it was just bent cause the tires were brand new and balanced by AWE (don't get me started on that one). Anyway, I pulled the calipers off, took the pads out and checked my rotors. They were perfectly straight. So I ended up taking the back right tire off and swapping it with my front right. That ended up being the problem. If I spin the bad tire, I can see that it isn't perfectly round. Has a kind of weird high spot on it. It may be "balanced", but it isn't true and causes vibration at around 100kmph. It goes away at high speed (so I found out on the way back from H2O), but under braking from 120mph it felt like the front end was gonna break off

jefferson88
09-28-2004, 01:06 PM
First of all... I know some of you guys south of Canada don't know much about us Canadians but for Christ sake people... Montreal is at almost the same Latitude as NYC... it was 80 degrees farenheit on Saturday. It can't be the wheels because the problem is intermittent... it comes and goes and tires wouldn't make a clunk when I get on and off the gas..... Snow in September! man you guys are really funny sometimes.[:p]

RedRocket
09-28-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm telling you jefferson, they got snow in their ears. But not all of them...... [:D]

Pureaudi
09-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
skene take it easy...... sheesh.
your like the grouch of audizine [:D]

hehe, skene, i apologize if i hurt your feelings. i will watch what i say next time sweet heart. everything will be ok. just breath....there you go....

and just for the record, i dont give a flying fu(k what anyone here thinks of me. tee hee![:)]

SEXIC─N
09-28-2004, 06:11 PM
i don't care either about poop flying

TwinTurbo
09-28-2004, 06:44 PM
... is it too late to type owned?...

Pureaudi
09-28-2004, 08:30 PM
no go for it! :) i love to be owned. im everyones b1tch :)