PDA

View Full Version : Dipstick funnels a bitch.

fikes
07-15-2008, 04:47 PM
This is really a pointless thread just wanted to know how many of you have ever tried/completed replacing the dipstick funnel when its gets old. Just did mine and let me tell you it was not a 2 min job. Its such a bitch first It would not come out/stuck. Then after I gave a little pressure on it it busted into 50 million pieces luckily none went into my tube. after I got most of it off the little bit that goes into the tube was stuck. So took another 15 min trying to get that pos out without breaking pieces off into my oilpan. Finally after about 30 min of taking it off and cleaning up all the pieces I put the new one on and it will not clip in and when I pull it dipstick it pops off. At least it stays on so I wont have to go though that shit again. Overall I think one pinhead size piece might have fell in but not to worry becasue it wont harm the engine since you could barley even see it and will melt the the oil gets hot.

ILoveT
07-15-2008, 04:49 PM
That is EXACTLY what happened to me.

fikes
07-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Well thank god it was not only me. This is the seccond time I replaced it and that was on my old audi. It almost makes me want to pay someone to do it so I don't to deal with it. although I never would.

tdn
07-15-2008, 04:54 PM
It went smoothly for me, took a total of probably 3-4 minutes. Used a good technique to remove and used a mag light to get it in all the way. If you still can't get it all the way in, see http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222083&highlight=mag+light

fikes
07-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Alright nice Ill have to give it a try. thanks.

Nebone
07-15-2008, 10:00 PM
You have to grab it and steadily pull until it just snaps out. If you pull in the brittle location, it will snap into pieces.

hawaii
07-15-2008, 11:22 PM
1 stupid question. Is the funnel the plastic one that holds the dipstick? And why do we need to change it?

dougyfresh
07-16-2008, 04:00 AM
When installing, push down in an even manner until you feel/hear it click. The funnel will then bottom out on the metal component and be locked down and won't come up when you pull on the dipstick. Common install error.

tdn
07-16-2008, 06:32 AM
1 stupid question. Is the funnel the plastic one that holds the dipstick? And why do we need to change it?

stock is made out of two plastics, one soft and one very brittle.. the brittle part breaking is common when not careful. i broke mine while removing my intake manifold. the one on my vw, which is made the same way, broke in the hands of a mechanic.

the replacements are much better quality.

edit: just to clarify, the stock dipstick funnels are made out of two plastics, and by that I mean two plastics used in one dipstick. Not two different versions.

ModifiedA4
07-16-2008, 06:52 AM
my experience:
http://www.modifieda4.com/web/tech/dipstick-tube.html
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/dipstick-tube/DSC00117.sized.jpg

fikes
07-16-2008, 07:07 AM
always makes me worry pieces fell down that I did not see. problem is I just got a oil change not yesterday so im not changing it again

hawaii
07-16-2008, 08:17 AM
I finally know why the sales ask me whether I need the funnel when I bought the stick in the vw dealer. Haha

Poopie
07-16-2008, 08:51 AM
getting it on is the real bitch...getting it off is not really an issue. hahaha.

fikes
07-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Both was a bitch for me. I just hope I did not drop any into the tube. I have the whole casing just had to pry out the part that goes down into part of the tube. Im about to go to harrys u pull it to see if I cant find a few parts for my car that were missing when I bought it.

quiljw01
04-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I might need some advice. I broke the oil dipstick tube - i think it's part "06d103634c".

My dipstick funnel was broke and there was about an inch left still attached. I tried to remove it by using a 3/4" open ended wrench and putting it below the base of the funnel and lifting. That didn't work, so i thought i needed more force. Therefore i hooked a piece of wire around the wrench, and ran the wire straight up through the intake manifold so i could pull on the wire, and it in turn would pull on the wrench and pop the funnel free. well, what i didn't realize at the time was the 3/4" wrench was too small and it was NOT grabbing the funnel, but was actually grabbing the top of the oil dipstick TUBE- which is made of plastic. I'm sure if i had just used a slightly bigger wrench i would be driving right now instead of typing.

i plan on calling the audi dealer monday to see what they say. By looking at the dipstick tube in the picture (link below) it looks like it is possible to be pulled out of the engine. but can it be replaced without disassembling anything?
http://www.wobparts.co.uk/images/06D103634C.JPG

My questions: has anyone ever done THIS before? , Any advice?

thanks,
Jerrod

brettj20
04-23-2011, 05:53 PM
i need to replace mine to :(

walky_talky20
04-23-2011, 06:39 PM
I might need some advice. I broke the oil dipstick tube - i think it's part "06d103634c".

My dipstick funnel was broke and there was about an inch left still attached. I tried to remove it by using a 3/4" open ended wrench and putting it below the base of the funnel and lifting. That didn't work, so i thought i needed more force. Therefore i hooked a piece of wire around the wrench, and ran the wire straight up through the intake manifold so i could pull on the wire, and it in turn would pull on the wrench and pop the funnel free. well, what i didn't realize at the time was the 3/4" wrench was too small and it was NOT grabbing the funnel, but was actually grabbing the top of the oil dipstick TUBE- which is made of plastic. I'm sure if i had just used a slightly bigger wrench i would be driving right now instead of typing.

i plan on calling the audi dealer monday to see what they say. By looking at the dipstick tube in the picture (link below) it looks like it is possible to be pulled out of the engine. but can it be replaced without disassembling anything?
http://www.wobparts.co.uk/images/06D103634C.JPG

My questions: has anyone ever done THIS before? , Any advice?

thanks,
Jerrod

I'm pretty sure that lower tube section is actually metal, and the "seat" where it slides into the engine is plastic with the o-ring on it. It probably just needs pushed back down, no? If you did break it somehow, its not a big deal and can be replaced without disassembling anything. Never had that happen, though. The funnels are always so brittle that there's no way you can pull on them hard enough to dislodge the lower tube. They shatter to a million pieces way before that happens.

And the replacement orange funnels aren't really any better quality. It has to do with the plastics exposure to oil and heat that makes it brittle over time. The replacements will eventually do the same thing if given enough time.