PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch = no start?

whowont
07-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Last night my stepfather tried to take my car to the store (without me knowing), he started the car, but didnt go anywhere because the headlights would'nt go on and shut it off.... This morning I go out try to start, and nothing, no click or anything, everything else seems to be in order as far as interior lights go. Now heres the deal, I have a bad ignition switch, and thats why the lights werent on... he didn't have the key positioned correctly... I know it sounds stupid, but what are the chances this thing finaly took a dump?

Is there anything else I should check? Reguardless I will replace the switch, I just need to make sure I have every base covered.

whowont
07-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh yeah, its a 97 1.8t quattro manual

CycloSteve
07-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Uh, you lost me.

Can you turn the key in the ignition, or is it not moving? If it is not moving then the mechanical side of things (the lock itself) needs to be replaced...if so, order from Audi so that you can have the same key as you have at present. This happened with my 96 because of my two year old continuously trying to fart around with the keys.

If the key turns, but no lights appear on the dash, then first thing to do is check your battery, as it could be the culpret.

If the key turns and it is not the battery then it may be the ignition switch behind the lock mechanism. That can be purchased online from a multitude of vendors.

If the key turns and the car turns over but does not fire up or dies when the key is released, then it could be the immobilizer.

In anycase, if you have access to a VAG-COM see what pops-up when you run a scan for codes. Likely something will be amiss.

whowont
07-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Figured it out, its the starter, thanks.

whowont
07-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Now what? The starter was bad, so was the ignition switch..... I replaced both. I have battery power and ignition power at the new starter and it still dosent crank???? I tested the starter before I installed it, and it worked fine.

I'm at a loss...

Im gonna vag it tomorrow, but I don't see how it could possibly help.

MattzWarsteiner
07-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Clutch safety switch?

whowont
07-17-2008, 06:39 PM
I've never had to push the clutch in to start it before, I don't think they had em before 98.

MattzWarsteiner
07-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Gotcha. Sorry about that.

Hmm....a diagram would be nice. If there is no clutch safety switch or immo module on this,it should be pretty simple to figure out.

One small wire goes from the ignition switch start position to the solenoid on the starter possibly via the ECM.

A meter or test light will locate the start positions on the switch and an ohmmeter with a looooong wire on one end will confirm the wiring is ok to the starter.

whowont
07-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Well, I am getting power to the starter via the ignition wire and the batt cable... thats why I'm so confused.

MattzWarsteiner
07-19-2008, 03:11 PM
WW, I read that earlier. When you say ignition wire & batt cable, I assume you mean at the starter, but I'm confused. How are you checking for power?

There is the wire that engages the solenoid. When that has 12V, the starter turns and the solenoid pushes the bendix gear out to mesh the flywheel. If this isn't happening, there is either a bad ground or the extra wire is connected to the wrong stud on the starter solenoid or bad starter or solenoid.

The ground to the block..big black wire to neg on battery...can be checked visually and by hand to see that it is tight. A meter, if connected between a point on the engine block and the Neg battery post should register less than 1V when starting if the wiring is ok.

whowont
07-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Time for me to wear the dunce cap.... Yeah the ignition wire was on the wrong terminal on the solenoid. I had it installed on the same terminal the oem starter used, but the new one needed it to be hooked up on the other terminal..... [:o]

MattzWarsteiner
07-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Zat mean tha car is running? Good job lOl

whowont
07-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes siiiir lmao