PDA

View Full Version : Lightening the stock FW?

andyrew
07-06-2008, 05:57 PM
So I am trying to figure out if any of you have had a shop lighten the stock 25lb flywheel? A quick search leads no results..

I am going to have it resurfaced tomorrow and want to have them take off as much lbs as they can, does any one have pics of where so I can present it to the shop? The back of the flywheel has a lot of meat on it so im sure there is a bunch that can be taken from there...

Anyone do it? Anyone try it and get rejected by the shop?

Thanks!
Andrew

mike-2ptzero
07-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Yes you can but the only way to do it is by replacing stuff with titanium, I had it done on mine way back when no one made flywheels for the dbw A4 1.8T. I also had it resurfaced about 4 times before it could no longer be used.

You cant reduce the weight by removing more material off of it since that can change the way the clutch works and could even cause the clutch disk from actually touching the surface of the flywheel.

If you want a lighter flywheel buy one of the billet steel flywheels that are 15,16 and 20 lbs.

andyrew
07-06-2008, 09:11 PM
that doesn't make any sense because the material I am proposing to remove is on the back of the flywheel. the surface of the disk is going to just be resurfaced. This is common practice for many other cars, I am suprized no one else does it...

mike-2ptzero
07-06-2008, 09:22 PM
No real reason for people to do it seeing that there are so many lwfw's on the market already and at some point you will need to ditch the stock flywheel since you can only resurface it a few times.

BTW I dont think your going to get all that much weight off the stock flywheel anyway, it is 24 lbs and for $395 you can have a 16 lbs Billet Steel single mass flywheel.

andyrew
07-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Time and money is a factor here. if I can take off 3-5 lbs and have it back to me tomorrow ill be happy with 150 out of pocket. This is my DD, and I don't have time nor the funds to spend on overnighting it for 50 bucks. also I weighed my flywheel at 25 lbs

djwimbo
07-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Or just buy a LWFW and have your parts in before you remove the trans.

Personally, going from a 30+lb rotating assembly to a 16 lb LWFW, I won't go back. I've known a couple people that have broken stock dual mass F/W's anyways.

I think I got mine from SPEC for $400, and in my opinion it was worth every bit of it.

andyrew
07-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Trani is out... Right now.

You guys are telling me no one has had their flywheel lightened? Hell I had my flywheel for my v8 lightened 2 lbs and it was only 14lbs to start with. There is so much extra metal on this flywheel I know that some of it can be taken off.

I guess I have to find out on my own tomorrow if the shop will do the work or not.

Thanks for your help though!

Andrew

Siena
07-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Andrew, I supply SM LW flywheels for the 1.8T motor.

t1demont1
07-06-2008, 11:45 PM
There was a fidanza lwfw fs on in the fs sectino for 200.

onemoremile
07-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Personally, going from a 30+lb rotating assembly to a 16 lb LWFW, I won't go back.

Can I drive your car at some point? I haven't felt a 1.8t with a LWFW yet.

andyrew
07-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Siena, Thanks for the offer but shipping from the UK would be a bitch and take forever.

The guy selling the one in the classifieds was in canada and no description on weight...

I'll see what the machinist says when im at lunch.

andyrew
07-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Just got a call from the shop, they cant resurface it because of something with the dowel pins.. Damnit. They didnt think they could lighten it either without separating it (BS).

So, what are good options for LWFW's? 16lbs would be nice.

Any distributors local to CA? I want something in the next 2 days.. I cant wait a week for a flywheel...
I have a track day on the 19th and still have to put my BT in....

pac1085
07-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I'd say give 034 a call, they are in CA and they have a 16-18lb steel flywheel last I knew

a4rings
07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
i have the 11lb spec fw, think its an assco or something like that. i like it alot but it does chatter every once in a while.

andyrew
07-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I'd say give 034 a call, they are in CA and they have a 16-18lb steel flywheel last I knew

Yep and they are out of stock... Thanks for the info though!

Anyone else got any leads?

Thanks!